MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

kaijuguy19 wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but apparently Mulan is at risk as being boycotted due to some political things that I don't want to mention in this site at China which now I can't help but wonder if that's going to make the chances of Godzilla vs Kong being a hit even if it's a not a big hit higher as a result?

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here regarding politics and if I am I apologize and you can remove my post.
Its Disney tho.

That equals nostalgia, lots of money and people being drawn in. Look where that lead with Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin especially given Mulan alongside them are among the sacred 10 of arguably Disney's most popular decade the Renaissance Era which is why Dumbo didn't do as well because it wasn't among those.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Aladdin has the Genie backlash, Lion King had Scar looking improper plus the removal of be prepared, all Disney remakes have had some sort of backlash to them.. Doesn't stop the from making money...

This wont help Godzilla vs Kong... If there is no interest Mulan could fall flat on it's face doesn't mean people will flock to Godzilla. Godzilla and Kong have to have the interest there on there own. Mulan Is easily gonna make 700$ million... We at this point have to hope Godzilla vs Kong can even break 450$ million.

I personally think Godzilla vs Kong is going to struggle to make it past 420$ million worldwide. Sorry I just don't see is making any higher.. 450/500$ maybe if its really good and a Quiet Place 2 under performs.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mulan unlike those other minor nitpicks is actually diverging from the version fans love so much.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

I think it's a little silly to make any box office projections for GvK when we haven't gotten a single piece of major marketing yet

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Moogabunga wrote:I think it's a little silly to make any box office projections for GvK when we haven't gotten a single piece of major marketing yet
Yup... plus KotM severely underperformed to expectations. I do t think anyone predicted under 400m WW. I follow the bo a lot but don’t think I’ll be predicting GvsKong.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Cookson wrote: I do t think anyone predicted under 400m WW.
Plenty of people did, including myself. :)
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Cookson wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:I think it's a little silly to make any box office projections for GvK when we haven't gotten a single piece of major marketing yet
Yup... plus KotM severely underperformed to expectations. I do t think anyone predicted under 400m WW. I follow the bo a lot but don’t think I’ll be predicting GvsKong.
Going to stop predicting as well. I was guesstimating 700 million WW for KOTM and that didn’t come true in the slightest; the amount it actually made was quite laughable. Ah well, we’ll see what happens for GvK once we actually have GvK in theaters already.
Long Live The King

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Cookson wrote: I do t think anyone predicted under 400m WW.
Plenty of people did, including myself. :)
This. I recall seeing plenty of predictions that where around this ball park.

The folks proclaiming KOTM was the best thing since sliced bread were the ones betting 600m+ and laughing in your face if you dared predict anything lower
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

There weren't plenty, there were very few who had it under 400m.

The rest had it from 575-800+, from critiquers to blowhards.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I was definitely thinking at least above 500 million just based on past performance

While numerous factors definitely influenced it’s poor performance I’ve seen a general agreement that the lackluster marketing definitely played a part (the SDCC trailer got everyone talking, but it was released a full year before the film’s release and by the time KoTM hit theaters all the hype that trailer generated had largely dissipated), so hopefully at least in that regard Legendary learns their lesson (and hopefully all the others too, but that’s besides the point) and goes for a short but hard-hitting and effective marketing campaign for GvK
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

G2000 wrote:I was definitely thinking at least above 500 million just based on past performance

While numerous factors definitely influenced it’s poor performance I’ve seen a general agreement that the lackluster marketing definitely played a part (the SDCC trailer got everyone talking, but it was released a full year before the film’s release and by the time KoTM hit theaters all the hype that trailer generated had largely dissipated), so hopefully at least in that regard Legendary learns their lesson (and hopefully all the others too, but that’s besides the point) and goes for a short but hard-hitting and effective marketing campaign for GvK
I feel like this KOTM is gonna become a cult film later on in time.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
G2000 wrote:I was definitely thinking at least above 500 million just based on past performance

Me too, it certainly has a lot to love about it. From the soundtracks to the visuals.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Living Corpse wrote:
Just like Freddy Got Fingered
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Just like Freddy Got Fingered
FINALLY! I HAVE AN EXCUSE TO USE THIS STUPID CLIP!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote:There weren't plenty, there were very few who had it under 400m.

The rest had it from 575-800+, from critiquers to blowhards.
Ya I was in that thread frequently and I don't remember anyone predicting under $400 million WW. I could be wrong but there seemed to he an expectation that it would do at least G14 business
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Godzilla21 wrote:Ya I was in that thread frequently and I don't remember anyone predicting under $400 million WW. I could be wrong but there seemed to he an expectation that it would do at least G14 business
There were one or two people IIRC (LegendZilla was one) but a deal of it seemed like arbitrary pessimism, at least at the time
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

You can make box off predictions now for Godzilla vs Kong if you want it's a prediction and none of us are officials to my knowledge. Just don't get mad and attack others when your predictions don't come to past.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'm gonna be honest, when you guys were saying Aladdin was gonna fail or whatever, I wanted to ask what the fuck you guys were smoking, not because it looked good but because it's a Disney film. I just kept my mouth shut cause I'm sick of fighting with fans instead of talking with fans.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm gonna be honest, when you guys were saying Aladdin was gonna fail or whatever, I wanted to ask what the skreeonk you guys were smoking, not because it looked good but because it's a Disney film. I just kept my mouth shut cause I'm sick of fighting with fans instead of talking with fans.
Agreed. It seems like these last few entries (G14, Shin G, Anime Trilogy, and KOTM) have kinda torn the fandom down the middle more than usual. I got my opinions on all of them, both positive and negative, but I'm sick of people either giving NO credit to one of these films or giving TOO MUCH credit to any of them. I admit I'm not immune to this, but this infighting among fans has really gotten old.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

My only problem with G-Fans now is that some of them just can't let their hate boner for the critics go. So what if KOTM got a low score? Critics get beloved films low score's all the time! I can't really remember anything bad with 14 (most just complained about Godzilla's screentime but that was honestly minor),Shin got hate because of how bizzare the film was yet is getting praised as one of the best films nowadays so I think that issue resolved itself. The Anime Trilogy ...just speaks for itself.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!