MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:Flopped? What happened to unperformed?
Bad wording on my part that's what I meant. My bad.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Without coming across repetitive. Disney wasn't the only reason why KotM flopped.
Flopped? What happened to unperformed?
Yeah I'm still gonna have to insist on the disaster that happened being an underperformance rather than a flop, cause despite everything, it still made double budget and went above flop territory.
Just what I think though. The actual logistics are probably too confusing for us to understand. It's just semantics anyway.

If GvK can somehow push the MV to 2 billion territory though, (likely if it does as well as the other MV movies besides KOTM) I think the MV would be well justified as a cash cow worth keeping around instead of tossing down the drain just yet.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Flop has a subjective definition, definitely fits KOTM in terms of it being profitable.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Not like it matters, Godzilla vs Kong was set in stone the moment they got the rights to both and their owners were cool with a crossover. I mean two of cinema's most famous giant movie monsters? You'd have to be stupid to not try and cash in on redoing that crossover

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: Critics were disappointed with Kotm, GA gave it decent reviews.
I sure wish people would learn to stop using Rotten Tomato's as a shield for this movie.

The GA that gave a poop to use RT is a small minority compared to the GA in general, of course some people raved about it, they gave a poop enough to use the site.

I've spoken to many people in real life who were disappointed with the movie, RT doesn't reflect everyone in the world who saw the movie my dude
Didn't say I used rotten tomatoes did I.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Gothicserpent wrote:
We get it. You hate the movie.
No the fuck I don't :lol:

If you don't believe me, feel free to read through my post history and find my first comments about the movie.

I liked the movie, I never once said I hated it, I sat there in my theater seat with the goofiest grin on my face almost the entire time because watching this movie on the big screen was incredible. I've already spent a hundred dollars on the merchandise because I loved the monster designs so much, and I'm absolutely positively excited to get this on Blue-ray at the end of the month.

I have no clue why some people cannot comprehend that it's totally possible to enjoy and appreciate a film but not think it's the best thing in the world and want to discuss some criticisms on a discussion board with others who feel the same. You can love a movie and still have problems with it, that's where I stand.

It bothers me that certain fans that too personally.

You know, since I've been here, not one person has asked me what I did like, only what I didn't.

Added in 1 hour 20 minutes 42 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Didn't say I used rotten tomatoes did I.
I doesn't matter dude, why is it so hard to accept the audience was mixed?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Stump Feet wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:
We get it. You hate the movie.
No the skreeonk I don't :lol:

If you don't believe me, feel free to read through my post history and find my first comments about the movie.

I liked the movie, I never once said I hated it, I sat there in my theater seat with the goofiest grin on my face almost the entire time because watching this movie on the big screen was incredible. I've already spent a hundred dollars on the merchandise because I loved the monster designs so much, and I'm absolutely positively excited to get this on Blue-ray at the end of the month.

I have no clue why some people cannot comprehend that it's totally possible to enjoy and appreciate a film but not think it's the best thing in the world and want to discuss some criticisms on a discussion board with others who feel the same. You can love a movie and still have problems with it, that's where I stand.

It bothers me that certain fans that too personally.

You know, since I've been here, not one person has asked me what I did like, only what I didn't.

I think that's the issue, you very rarely post what you did like, making it seem like you're strongly against the film.

I'd be interested in hearing what you did like about it though.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

_JNavs_ wrote: I think that's the issue, you very rarely post what you did like, making it seem like you're strongly against the film.

I'd be interested in hearing what you did like about the film though.
That shouldn't even be an issue, I shouldn't have to daily praise this movie when everyone else does a fine job already, what else is there to say that hasn't already by everyone in every thread every single day? I shouldn't have to praise this movie all the time to be accepted by some of you.

I appreciate you wanting to hear what I did like but what is there to say at this point that hasn't been said by everyone else?

I loved the monster designs and thought they pulled them off very nicely- I just wish the fight scenes were properly focused on, I also think they deserved more screentime because when it was just them, they looked and acted incredible-the fight scenes, not so much...

I loved the Hollow Earth/Temple scene, thought it was beautiful and gripping- no complaints.

There were a couple fight sequences that were well staged- but as I said, I wish the editing and choreography was better for the rest of the battles though, and I hate seeing the focuse switch back and fourth and the monster scenes going on in the background, obscured.

The Rodan jet fight was the best part of the film, extreme kino- no complaints here

And the bowing scene was breathtaking- although I wish the Titans weren't so obscured, especially Methuselah.

Honestly, I don't think this movie will ever look or feel as amazing as it did on the big screen.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:[

Added in 1 hour 20 minutes 42 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Didn't say I used rotten tomatoes did I.
I doesn't matter dude, why is it so hard to accept the audience was mixed?
Once again not what I said. You said the audiance didn't give a poop, I said the audiance gave it decent reviews which is alright. Nothing to write home about but it wasn't the worst thing ever.

Both critics and audience gave the film mixed reviews but the critics leaned more negative while the audience was a little more forgiving.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I think the most profitable way to market GvK is to advertise it like a pay-per-view. Have a TV spot with a character narrating Kong’s background, and do the same with Godzilla. Put together some hype packages. Make the posters list their height, weight, and reach. (The latter stat in particular would be really cheesy yet awesome. “Kong: 178 feet / Godzilla: 122 feet” or something).

This would be cute and clever and would stand out from the rest of movie marketing.
Last edited by LockBite on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

miguelnuva wrote:Once again not what I said. You said the audiance didn't give a poop, I said the audiance gave it decent reviews which is alright. Nothing to write home about but it wasn't the worst thing ever.

Both critics and audience gave the film mixed reviews but the critics leaned more negative while the audience was a little more forgiving.
Most people who saw the movie don't review it. Normal people don't see a movie then review it on RT or online unless they're really into movies and review sites or a professional critic.

RT scores mean nothing. See a movie if it interests you.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Fish Cakes wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Once again not what I said. You said the audiance didn't give a poop, I said the audiance gave it decent reviews which is alright. Nothing to write home about but it wasn't the worst thing ever.

Most people who saw the movie don't review it. Normal people don't see a movie then review it on RT or online unless they're really into movies and review sites or a professional critic.

RT scores mean nothing. See a movie if it interests you.
Absolutely this.
Bingo! Give the girl a price.
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I'm hoping Kong at least will bring some more people in for GvK if the Big G isn't their cup of tea.

One thing I really like about the Monsterverse Kong (so far at least) is that instead of just being a big animal, he's actually a Daikaiju worthy of the ranks of Godzilla. Not only is he one of the bigger incarnations (soon to be biggest if his parents are any indication), but his fighting style, personality and the way the movie centered around him really made him one of the most unique incarnations of the character IMO. Best Kong in my eyes. If the Monsterverse continues and we get more movies about him, I'm sure we can see some good success considering more people seem to consider him as a character than any other monster as characters.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Interesting to see KOTM flop vs underperformed vs disappointing debate still going. I maintain the film didn't flop as if you look at the typical definition of a flop that usually doesn't count amongst its ranks films that more than double their budget. In fact here is a list I have posted several times:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... fice_bombs

Godzilla did better than every film here. So I count it more as a disappointment. I also have noticed a pattern that how you liked the film seems to determine how you view the box office. Those that didn't enjoy it seem to throw around the "flop" word in an attempt to further needle the film. While those that enjoyed it seem more adept to make it into a better situation. My stance is it was disappointing when compared G14 and KSI. But a flop? No.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Godzilla21 wrote:Interesting to see KOTM flop vs underperformed vs disappointing debate still going. I maintain the film didn't flop as if you look at the typical definition of a flop that usually doesn't count amongst its ranks films that more than double their budget. In fact here is a list I have posted several times:

Godzilla did better than every film here. So I count it more as a disappointment. I also have noticed a pattern that how you liked the film seems to determine how you view the box office. Those that didn't enjoy it seem to throw around the "flop" word in an attempt to further needle the film. While those that enjoyed it seem more adept to make it into a better situation. My stance is it was disappointing when compared G14 and KSI. But a flop? No.
You and PKMatrix seem to be the most knowledgable at the monetary analysis and stuff. I'll take your word for it.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Interesting to see KOTM flop vs underperformed vs disappointing debate still going. I maintain the film didn't flop as if you look at the typical definition of a flop that usually doesn't count amongst its ranks films that more than double their budget. In fact here is a list I have posted several times:

You and PKMatrix seem to be the most knowledgable at the monetary analysis and stuff. I'll take your word for it.
PKMatrix is way more knowledgeable than me.

I just think it needs pointing out how we typically determine a flop vs actual performance.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I apologise if that's how you feel, I hope I haven't been dumb enough to call it a flop, I don't think I've ever flat out called it a bomb but :shrug: if I did, I'm sorry.

I'm more focused on the GA's perception.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Stump Feet wrote:I apologise if that's how you feel, I hope I haven't been dumb enough to call it a flop, I don't think I've ever flat out called it a bomb but :shrug: if I did, sorry.

I'm more focused on the GA's perception.
I mean, it seems like a mixed bag but leaning slightly towards the positive. Obviously RT and IMDB aren't entirely reliable because the type of people who actually use those sites aren't necessarily representative of the filmgoing public as a whole, but audience polling services like CinemaScore and PostTrak recorded audience scores of B+ and 85% respectively (though this was relatively early in the run). The linked article does consider the RT score as well as audiences feeling "let down" by previous films as big reasons why it didn't attract nearly as many as previous Monsterverse entries
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but apparently Mulan is at risk as being boycotted due to some political things that I don't want to mention in this site at China which now I can't help but wonder if that's going to make the chances of Godzilla vs Kong being a hit even if it's a not a big hit higher as a result?

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here regarding politics and if I am I apologize and you can remove my post.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Lol are you serious
Long Live The Sting