MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by marcdrac »

Tohosaurus wrote:I agree monsters with some basis in various members of the cryptozoology world could be featured. That said, I don't think there are many that would be interesting enough to be a title opponent or otherwise be featured beyond being fauna from an island or whatever. And said islands or ocean would be the only way to have the smaller monsters in my opinion. I don't think a $10 million Yeti movie meshes well in a giant monster universe. It would end up looking like Legendary was simply pushing for anything and everything to fall under a particular brand (MonsterVerse) for money rather than creative integration. It doesn't link well, having Monarch looking into planet-tier giant monsters and smaller monsters that aren't really relevant to society or the planet like Big Foot or whatever. That would make the MonsterVerse simply a generic brand for any kind of fictional monster to be thrown under the same label. New Line seems to see this with their Conjuring universe, where they aren't throwing any genre movie into that universe, but rather particular movies that fit within their world they've been building.
I can understand your reasoning that generally no cryptids could face Godzilla. But as they did with Kong, they could adapt any creature to be a rival for Godzilla or for Kong.
Over the Yeti, in Himalayas and a myth of Shangri-la a mystical land hidden among the mountains, which could easily make somewhere in the Himalayas there are huge caves that reach an area closer to the hollow earth and the Yeti lived there with other fauna more adapted to the cold.
And for any other creature using the explanation that they migrated to the hollow earth.
 Or if in the end they put aliens with Ghidorah they still have more creative freedoms.
The point is that in the MonsterVerse we do not have to think that the mythical creatures or cryptids have to have the dimensions that they are supposed to have outside the film.
And about the Kraken, if you're thinking about the Fury of the Titans, it's very different from the original myth where they take it out, it's more similar to the Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

marcdrac wrote: I can understand your reasoning that generally no cryptids could face Godzilla. But as they did with Kong, they could adapt any creature to be a rival for Godzilla or for Kong.
Over the Yeti, in Himalayas and a myth of Shangri-la a mystical land hidden among the mountains, which could easily make somewhere in the Himalayas there are huge caves that reach an area closer to the hollow earth and the Yeti lived there with other fauna more adapted to the cold.
And for any other creature using the explanation that they migrated to the hollow earth.
 Or if in the end they put aliens with Ghidorah they still have more creative freedoms.
The point is that in the MonsterVerse we do not have to think that the mythical creatures or cryptids have to have the dimensions that they are supposed to have outside the film.
And about the Kraken, if you're thinking about the Fury of the Titans, it's very different from the original myth where they take it out, it's more similar to the Pirates of the Caribbean 2.
Kong's opponent in that movie is rooted in a monster from the original Kong, so that's what I mean when I am talking about having monsters that have a creative logic to it, versus having any reptile battle Kong.

The Kraken I am speaking of generally, and no particular interpretation that we've seen.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

Tohosaurus wrote:
marcdrac wrote: Kong's opponent in that movie is rooted in a monster from the original Kong, so that's what I mean when I am talking about having monsters that have a creative logic to it, versus having any reptile battle Kong.

The Kraken I am speaking of generally, and no particular interpretation that we've seen.
Now put yourself in that time a few years before the first Vs came out between Godzilla and Kong. Having only reference the first of Kong and Godzilla.
I know you want to make a film that they face each other, how do you think you would have rationed to this news? Happy about the idea or laughing at the ridiculous thing that would be to see Kong being crushed by Godzilla?
Last edited by marcdrac on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Been rewatching the 90s animated series, and I wonder if a Netflix style show like this could work. A team investigating different occurrences of creature big and small. The only difference being it probably couldn’t feature Godzilla. Imagine live action versions of these characters or monsters from that series.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

marcdrac wrote: Now put yourself in that time a few years before the first Vs came out between Godzilla and Kong. Having only reference the first of Kong and Godzilla.
I know you want to make a film that they face each other, how do you think you would have rationed to this news? Happy about the idea or laughing at the ridiculous thing that would be to see Kong being crushed by Godzilla?
The 1933 King Kong and 1953's Beast from 20,000 Fathoms were key inspirations for Godzilla. Having an iconic monster battle another iconic monster is quite different from having having a versus movie between Godzilla and a random cryptid like a huge Yeti. Making the Yeti huge isn't the limitation I am thinking about. After all, in the Showa days both King Kong and Frankenstein's monster were made into giant monsters the size of daikaiju of the time. King Kong, Gamera, Ultraman, these all have a logic to it, whether or not it's something I would like to see (I don't actually care much to see a Godzilla vs Gamera movie, but it's more sound than Godzilla vs Big Foot). Is taking something non-daikaiju-sized and making it that huge unusual an idea compared to taking an already daikaiju character for Godzilla to battle? Sure, but it's not the basis for my point.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

I can only say, without any intention of insulting, that either there are people with a lot of imagination or they do not have any.

Is it true that they have confirmed the appearance of Anguirus for the Monsterverse?

Added in 1 month 13 days 14 hours 14 minutes 24 seconds:
In the new publicity page for Godzilla 2 called monarchsciences.com he presents us with a world map where we have 20 points, 3 of them are the situation of Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah. But the other 17 points are classified, the question is that Titans will be? Auque I have two assumptions of one of the points has to be Kong and the other point is special for me because it gives me hope to confirm a theories about the presence of a monster for the MonsterVerse and is Nessi.
Video that shares my same idea:
Last edited by marcdrac on Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

It’d be be great if Legendary and Toho struck a deal that allows both cinematic universes to run at the same time.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why not Valley of Gwangi?

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

LegendZilla wrote:Why not Valley of Gwangi?
It could be because they have their rights, they would only have to adapt for the monsterverse and also in my opinion they would also have to improve and retouch the design of Gwangi since it is very simple and generic.

zazeron
Young Farmer

Post by zazeron »

Retrosaur movie

I've been wanting an Unforgiven-style, Valley of Gwangi remake since forever. An old frontiersman, washed up at the end of his days, running a failing Cowboy Circus and drinking himself to death discovers a forgotten valley with dinosaurs. So he rounds up his men and they head in to capture attractions for their carnival. But he's there for Gwangi, his last hurrah before the long sleep. Things go wrong and he begins losing people. His son and crew wants to turn back, but he drives them on. Where they learn about many things about the valley. Eventually he stops caring about anything but bringing Gwangi down. Finally, when everyone is dead he realizes that he's thrown away everything - his friends, his family, his life - in a fruitless attempt to hold onto the past. As he drags himself out of the valley, Gwangi appears before him. He aims the rifle at his adversary and then lets him go. He puts the rifle under his chin and the screen goes black.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Down for a Valley of Gwangi remake set in the MonsterVerse. Could have it set during the 1920's in Mexico where its this unexplored region having some ties to Monarch that would eventually form in the 1950s.

Last I check. Warner Bros. holds the rights to the movie alongside Them!, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and The Giant Behemoth so it is possible.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

If King of the Monsters pulls in a crowd, then the likelihood of getting more movies past GvK will be increased significantly. I would certainly love to have more Godzilla movies and even Kong movies.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

marcdrac wrote:I believe that in order to enlarge the MonsterVerse universe with individual films, what is needed are monsters that are known by the general public, since the producer's interest is that the mass public go to see their films and that it is more likely that an ordinary person can know Nessie or the Yetio depending on where you live other creatures, than before any Kaiju in Godzilla's world. That they can create new creatures for the MonsterVerse but they would lose the show factor and to put it in a way the fanservís or the morbid to see them with Godzilla.
Not many people know Godzilla monsters outside of the big 5, those being Godzilla himself, Rodan, Mothra, "the gold dude" and "Robot Godzilla". Hell part of the Monsterverse's succsuse is they got King Kong who is more well known than even Godzilla himself.

From here on out, if they make any more movies after GvsK, they gotta focus on trying to sell them something and not just relying on a recognize name to do the work for them. I think with each film that has come out they are gaining the GA interest and trust in selling them giant monsters so people are more likely to give them a chance than they were a few years ago.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Living Corpse wrote:Not many people know Godzilla monsters outside of the big 5, those being Godzilla himself, Rodan, Mothra, "the gold dude" and "Robot Godzilla". Hell part of the Monsterverse's succsuse is they got King Kong who is more well known than even Godzilla himself.

From here on out, if they make any more movies after GvsK, they gotta focus on trying to sell them something and not just relying on a recognize name to do the work for them. I think with each film that has come out they are gaining the GA interest and trust in selling them giant monsters so people are more likely to give them a chance than they were a few years ago.
And besides the GA didn't know who the Guardians were prior to their movies. Look how that turned out. A series with a talking raccoon and humanoid tree. A total stigma amIriteorwut!? :roll:

If those alone could become popular prior of being obscure (General Audience-wise). Why can't other giant monsters?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Not many people know Godzilla monsters outside of the big 5, those being Godzilla himself, Rodan, Mothra, "the gold dude" and "Robot Godzilla". Hell part of the Monsterverse's succsuse is they got King Kong who is more well known than even Godzilla himself.

And besides the GA didn't know who the Guardians were prior to their movies. Look how that turned out. A series with a talking raccoon and humanoid tree. A total stigma amIriteorwut!? :roll:

If those alone could become popular prior of being obscure (General Audience-wise). Why can't other giant monsters?
It's part of the reason I want Gamera, it would help with his popularity if done right, he'd stop being obscure.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Living Corpse wrote:It's part of the reason I want Gamera, it would help with his popularity if done right, he'd stop being obscure.
People can accept an talking raccoon and humanoid tree but not a flying turtle. Kek. :roll:

That's what I just don't buy.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: People can accept an talking raccoon and humanoid tree but not a flying turtle. Kek. :roll:

That's what I just don't buy.
Yeah. :lol:

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

It was the Marvel brand that got people into the theaters initially. Good thing Guardians ended up being a good movie. Not only do they need to continue making good movies but brand them as MonsterVerse movies. Or else the GA won't make the connection and just think it's another monster movie. So establish the MonsterVerse as a reliable brand, then they can get away with focusing on more obscure monsters and let the brand sell the tickets.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:

It was the Marvel brand that got people into the theaters initially. Good thing Guardians ended up being a good movie. Not only do they need to continue making good movies but brand them as MonsterVerse movies. Or else the GA won't make the connection and just think it's another monster movie. So establish the MonsterVerse as a reliable brand, then they can get away with focusing on more obscure monsters and let the brand sell the tickets.
Yes this. I feel they are gaining people's trust. Just can't have Godzilla vs Kong be a flop. It doesn't help though is they don't have a Monsterverse logo show up before the movie starts. What's the point of making that if you aren't gonna use it for anything other than the boxes for the toys?

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Living Corpse wrote:
AtomicMorningBreath wrote:

Yes this. I feel they are gaining people's trust. Just can't have Godzilla vs Kong be a flop. It doesn't help though is they don't have a Monsterverse logo show up before the movie starts. What's the point of making that if you aren't gonna use it for anything other than the boxes for the toys?
Great point about a MonsterVerse logo. A simple logo in front of trailers and the films themselves would let the GA know that it isn't some random unrelated monster movie and is actually connected to these other movies that have earned a reputation for being reliable (KOTM pending of course).
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."