MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by miguelnuva »

If Gojira got remade to day people in America would complain they made Godzilla too Dark. As sad as it is the monsterverse then correct step by trying to take 70's showa Godzilla and make him more badass.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

If the Monsterverse is continued, I could see Kong II follow a threat from the Hollow Earth and perhaps Skullcrawlers spreading through the Hollow Earth. Godzilla with the proliferation of Titan DNA (King Ghidorah's especially) have Gigan and Biollante show up in a film maybe with Godzilla teaming up with Behemoth or Methuselah. If he does disappear at the end of G vs K maybe have him reemerge during an eruption in Bali?

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

I’m becoming more and more convinced that the MonsterVerse is the Godzilla equivalent to the Force Awakens: a terrible section of the franchise that people only like because they don’t want to think about any of the flaws or inconsistencies, or anything in general that it does wrong with its source material.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Personally I'm under the impression this Monsterverse brand has run its course. If they can't conclude the story with the upcoming GvK then there will definitely be a struggle in dragging out the Monsterverse any further. This is due to their decision to throw too much into KOTM for the sake of making something epic and having it fall short in delivery. Theres no way from a business standpoint can the producers feel confident in over saturating the market with Godzilla films using the Monsterverse formula. After GvK no matter how well its recieved if they do decide to run it further they are bound to lose momentum and fan interest (I have lost significant interest after KOM and never had a desire for a Godzilla Kong cross over with all the potential they had to do a Shin Godzilla crossover instead). Another factor that the Monsterverse suffers from is delivering a human drama that audiences can actually engage in. I understand that theres a huge part of the fanbase who only care for the monster action but this is not a video game there needs to be substance. In conclusion I liked the Millennium series approach of having different stories for each entry that are each their own films without being cannon with one another with the Mecha Godzilla entries being the exception.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

JGAR wrote:How is it poop

The original film is still the golden standard for the franchise. By remaking it for a worldwide audience, the campy image that Godzilla has can be finally be repelled. With a competent director and writer, it can get some Chernobyl-like critical acclaim. The Monsterverse could’ve been taken more seriously and be more liked with good writing but they threw all that out the window with Joe Brody’s death.

It could literally be a one off with no sequels etc.
No offense but having all that wouldn't make it an instant success because like others said America still has this strongly ingrained idea of Godzilla being only one thing and that was how he was depicted in the later Showa era films. What doesn't help that audiences today are more interested in things like the MCU and Disney all around so a movie like that which deals with strong horrific topics wouldn't appeal to them at all even if critics love it. Sure things like Shin Godzilla are praised by both critics and certain GA alike but even then they're clearly not going to be for everyone given how Shin Godzilla does things no one would expect a Godzilla movie to do.

I'm not saying it's impossible for an American studio to do a Godzilla movie that's on the levels of the 54 movie I'm just saying that it's going to take a LOT to convince the GA that Godzilla as a whole also has a serious side to him and sad to say it's not going to happen anytime soon. So I'm not surprised the Monsterverse ultimately took the route that it did because while it's bumpy so far,it's proven to work somehow since it's not dead yet and hopefully GvK will further help it.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

kaijuguy19 wrote:so a movie like that which deals with strong horrific topics wouldn't appeal to them at all even if critics love it.
I dunno, that funny clown movie seems to be doing pretty well on that front.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:so a movie like that which deals with strong horrific topics wouldn't appeal to them at all even if critics love it.
I dunno, that funny clown movie seems to be doing pretty well on that front.
I do get what you're saying however the Joker's a character that was already accepted to having a dark side in fiction long before the 2019 Joker movie came out. Godzilla on the other hand isn't as lucky in that department despite some people being more accepting to it over recent years. Again I'm not saying it's impossible it's just tougher to do that's all.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I think the GA were actually thinking G14 was going to have a bad guy Godzilla based on the marketing. Remember the GA flicked to the theaters opening weekend.

Maybe not for the Monsterverse now since Godzilla is established now, but I very much expect to see a bad guy Godzilla in the next reboot in Hollywood.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm expecting some super cheesy stuff if the MonsterVerse continues. Nothing like Godzilla flying or anything but more like stuff like Burning Godzilla in KOTM.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I’d actually like to see the MonsterVerse go in a bit of a different direction - specifically, work out a deal with Universal to combine it with the Universal Monsters. Have Monarch - or Proto-Monarch organizations - investigate the likes of the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula and Frankenstein’s Monster. Set some stories in the past, some in the present, but have them all be part of the same universe. Think outside the box and make it a true “Monster”Verse.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^Unless we get kaiju versions of the Universal Monsters, nah. Keep them separate.

Added in 10 minutes 46 seconds:
I'm hoping forr some tie in merchandise with Monsterverse Godzilla and the next Toho Godzilla whenever the next Japanese G film comes out. Heck i don't even think the MonsterVerse has to continue for that to happen!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I want Kong 2 to feature Gorosaurus as a red herring. Then build up a bigger antagonist halfway in and then have it be the main villain.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Given the recent post Adam Wingard posted of Godzilla falling into hell. Anyone thinks it could be Godzilla getting lost in the hollow earth and Kong perhaps in his absence taking his place as the alpha titan be the premise of Kong 2?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Given the recent post Adam Wingard posted of Godzilla falling into hell. Anyone thinks it could be Godzilla getting lost in the hollow earth and Kong perhaps in his absence taking his place as the alpha titan be the premise of Kong 2?
I was gonna say that maybe Godzilla 3 could be about his return to the hollow Earth and finding new monsters.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Just because a director does stuff on social media does not mean they are hinting at anything. Actually, I think spoiling such would be forbidden by the studio in any context.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

tyrantgoji wrote:I was gonna say that maybe Godzilla 3 could be about his return to the hollow Earth and finding new monsters.
It also had me wondering if that's the whole One. Will. Fall means and also seemingly self-sacrifice the ground collapsing beneath Godzilla and Mechagodzilla as they both fall and its believed Godzilla has died leading to Kong 2 (Post-credit of Godzilla vs. Kong revealing Godzilla to have survived near the wreckage of what was once Mechagodzilla) and eventually Godzilla 3.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^One will fall!..literally one of them is gonna fall into the planet. :lol:

Or pethaps the opposite happens? The fight above ground causes more monsters to awake from below?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

tyrantgoji wrote:^One will fall!..literally one of them is gonna fall into the planet. :lol:
OMG!

It all adds up now! :lol:

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I was gonna say that maybe Godzilla 3 could be about his return to the hollow Earth and finding new monsters.
It also had me wondering if that's the whole One. Will. Fall means and also seemingly self-sacrifice the ground collapsing beneath Godzilla and Mechagodzilla as they both fall and its believed Godzilla has died leading to Kong 2 (Post-credit of Godzilla vs. Kong revealing Godzilla to have survived near the wreckage of what was once Mechagodzilla) and eventually Godzilla 3.
Personally I like the idea and find it quite possible, but I’ll reiterate what another said above: a random IG story doesn’t need to mean anything
Long Live The King

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I agree. An adventure into the Hollow Earth leading to Godzilla 3 would be a good setup.