MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by GalacticPetey »

If Gigan is introduced it would be a sign that they're embracing the more out-there and crazier stuff.

So I am 100% behind Gigan in the MonsterVerse.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

But just imagine what you could do with Gigan on a $150M dollar budget. My hope is that, with every new movie we get more... Godzilla-ish. You know how much I'd love it if, when we get Godzilla vs. Kong, it just fades into drums the KK vs. G intro song, and you just see an old style "Godzilla vs. Kong" title. My head would explode!!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

MG is confirmed for RPO. What that could mean for the future of the MonsterVerse is anyone's guess.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I feel like post GvK a perfect film would be either Hedorah or Biollante. The Earth is at crisis. The waters are polluted. And Nature is struggling against the tyranny of man, via Biollante. Or the same concept but man has unintentionally created their own downfall ala Hedorah. It'd be a powerful concept if done correctly. And maybe even inspire some, to care more for the balance.

Then when all seems lost and the monster seems to have won, and the crowd is in tears. Godzilla saves the day. Giving humanity it's chance at redemption.

A more outlandish idea I had is Hedorah vs Biollante. Sort of man v nature but on a literal and destructive scale. And the two fight Godzilla at one point to which he beats both of them. That would be an amazing stretch of power.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

In a way, Godzilla vs Kong would be a cool finale for the "real-ish" era of the MonsterVerse. From there, even having a Mothra movie or a Godzilla vs Crazy Monster would be the beginning of something new.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Tohosaurus wrote:In a way, Godzilla vs Kong would be a cool finale for the "real-ish" era of the MonsterVerse. From there, even having a Mothra movie or a Godzilla vs Crazy Monster would be the beginning of something new.
I agree with 100% so much. I want the MonsterVerse to go the Showa route. Starts off grounded before moving onto more Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:In a way, Godzilla vs Kong would be a cool finale for the "real-ish" era of the MonsterVerse. From there, even having a Mothra movie or a Godzilla vs Crazy Monster would be the beginning of something new.
I agree with 100% so much. I want the MonsterVerse to go the Showa route. Starts off grounded before moving onto more Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
Oh really? Is that how you in particular want the MonsterVerse to go? I'm surprised. ;)

(lol jk just teasing)

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

So according to the Ready Player One Wikia (and obviously there's no way to tell if this accurate at all); Legendary Godzilla, Rodan, Mecha Godzilla (Kiryu), Megalon, Gigan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Gamera all make appearances, though most incredibly brief. Now even if they all are in fact in it, regardless of how much, it's probably a one off deal. They probably only have an agreement for this one film. But what if...what if Warner Bros did manage to get the rights for some of them for extended periods of time... :huge:

Not counting Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah obviously
Last edited by Moogabunga on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Gamera really needs help to get relevant. I don't think this would do anything, but a more prominent featuring in a movie would help.
고질라

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The Best thing for Gamera right now would be to announce Godzilla vs Gamera for 2023 or even Gamera vs Shin Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I think it's interesting that I seem to be the only fan that'd really like a KSI sequel aside from GvK.
고질라

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

I doubt there will be a Monsterverse after 2020. I hope I'm wrong.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

morgoth wrote:I doubt there will be a Monsterverse after 2020. I hope I'm wrong.
If not I wouldn't riot. Monster verse already started the kaiju resurgence. So I'm valid.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ernesth100 wrote:
morgoth wrote:I doubt there will be a Monsterverse after 2020. I hope I'm wrong.
If not I wouldn't riot. Monster verse already started the kaiju resurgence. So I'm valid.
No it didn’t, Pacific Rim did.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:
No it didn’t, Pacific Rim did.
G'14 was already well into development when PR was announced, though. I don't think either one specifically triggered the other; they're both products of an era in popular culture that has seen numerous long-standing "geek" properties and genres receive greater mainstream attention.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote: G'14 was already well into development when PR was announced, though. I don't think either one specifically triggered the other; they're both products of an era in popular culture that has seen numerous long-standing "geek" properties and genres receive greater mainstream attention.
I disagree completely. Pacific Rim was the first movie since Godzilla: Final Wars to bring the kaiju fandom to the mainstream. It literally introduced most western audiences to the word "kaiju". G14 may have been first in development, but Pacific Rim absolutely beat it in being the first in the new age of kaiju films.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote: G'14 was already well into development when PR was announced, though. I don't think either one specifically triggered the other; they're both products of an era in popular culture that has seen numerous long-standing "geek" properties and genres receive greater mainstream attention.
I disagree completely. Pacific Rim was the first movie since Godzilla: Final Wars to bring the kaiju fandom to the mainstream. It literally introduced most western audiences to the word "kaiju". G14 may have been first in development, but Pacific Rim absolutely beat it in being the first in the new age of kaiju films.
Yes, it was the first, in that it came out first. And, yes, it introduced a lot of people to the specific word "kaiju." But, again, G'14 was in development first, so I don't see how PR can be granted any particular causal significance.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

They both did it collectively in their own ways. That's assuming we think there's a real Hollywood resurgence anyway.
고질라

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Tohosaurus wrote:They both did it collectively in their own ways. That's assuming we think there's a real Hollywood resurgence anyway.
I do believe there is. It's pretty obvious rn. Especially with the likes of films like Rampage and Skull Island being spawned as result.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

As long as G:KOTM and GvK do well, I can't see why they wouldn't do more movies.

Then again, isn't Toho trying to do more Godzilla movies after GvK? Would that pose a problem for MonsterVerse production?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking