MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by BlankAccount »

Gojira18 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I'm gonna be honest, when you guys were saying Aladdin was gonna fail or whatever, I wanted to ask what the skreeonk you guys were smoking, not because it looked good but because it's a Disney film. I just kept my mouth shut cause I'm sick of fighting with fans instead of talking with fans.
Agreed. It seems like these last few entries (G14, Shin G, Anime Trilogy, and KOTM) have kinda torn the fandom down the middle more than usual. I got my opinions on all of them, both positive and negative, but I'm sick of people either giving NO credit to one of these films or giving TOO MUCH credit to any of them. I admit I'm not immune to this, but this infighting among fans has really gotten old.
Disney could film someone shitting and it'd still do well. I'm not saying people are stupid, it's that Disney has built up a reputation for quality with it's name so people are kind of trained to expect a good time when they see the name in much the same way they are when they see the Marvel logo. They've been building that for decades, its gonna take more than a few stinkers or mediocre films before your general movie goer starts seeing the name with some caution.
tyrantgoji wrote:My only problem with G-Fans now is that some of them just can't let their hate boner for the critics go. So what if KOTM got a low score? Critics get beloved films low score's all the time! I can't really remember anything bad with 14 (most just complained about Godzilla's screentime but that was honestly minor),Shin got hate because of how bizzare the film was yet is getting praised as one of the best films nowadays so I think that issue resolved itself. The Anime Trilogy ...just speaks for itself.
I don't know why some fans act shocked that critics hated it. Had a guy (or two guys? Can't remember) badger me to give an example of any professional critics who ever said the kaiju genera is trash and I'm thinking "do you live under a rock?". I'm a Godzilla fan, I knew I was gonna see the movie regardless of what non fans said. And it's not like the critics were wrong about everything, a lot of the criticisms I agree with them. It is a flawed movie. But I also went in ignoring most critics cause I knew there was gonna be complaints that were nonsensical or stupid like "movie bad cause it don't have a cute dog grrrr". And I was right, I know this cause other fans keep telling me the stupid stuff critics said (that dog one is true, someone PM me to complain about it).

But it doesn't take a psychic to know that was gonna happen,cause it's happened before. Not just with Godzilla films, but with films in general. I'm just surprised the comparison to a wet fart was made by (what I assume to be) a fully grown, functioning adult human and not the bully on the school playground.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Living Corpse wrote:But I also went in ignoring most critics cause I knew there was gonna be complaints that were nonsensical or stupid like "movie bad cause it don't have a cute dog grrrr". And I was right, I know this cause other fans keep telling me the stupid stuff critics said (that dog one is true, someone PM me to complain about it
Geez dude, that comment didn’t even come out until Crawl had been in theaters for a few weeks and wasn’t even from a movie critic.

I’m starting to think maybe people around here don’t know the difference between an actual movie critic, and some random chick typing up a hype article for a no name website
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stump Feet wrote: Geez dude, that comment didn’t even come out until Crawl had been in theaters for a few weeks and wasn’t even from a movie critic.

I’m starting to think maybe people around here don’t know the difference between an actual movie critic, and some random chick typing up a hype article for a no name website
The same handful of quotes DEFINE EVERYONE!!!!!!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Stump Feet wrote: Geez dude, that comment didn’t even come out until Crawl had been in theaters for a few weeks and wasn’t even from a movie critic.

The same handful of quotes DEFINE EVERYONE!!!!!!
Sir, I did not say everyone said stupid shit, I even said I agreed with a lot of the criticisms, stop trying to twist words for a fight.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If you remember Aladdin was actually not tracking all that great before opening weekend. It had fantastic word of mouth that just propelled it after that. It’s opening weekend multiplier is pretty crazy if you look at that on
Bom.

KotMs domestic total isn’t terrible... not great or good... maybe just fine? It’s overseas totals are what really hurt it. Even with China’s big total, it still made less that G14 overseas.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I always knew Aladdin would do 1B, just wish kotm would have made it closer to that 800m mark.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Cookson wrote:KotMs domestic total isn’t terrible... not great or good... maybe just fine? It’s overseas totals are what really hurt it. Even with China’s big total, it still made less that G14 overseas.
Well it made 90$ million less the previous installment and almost 60$ million less than Skull Island.
As a matter of a fact it made 35$ million less then ''The MEG''
An it only made 9$ million more then Rampage...

So no KOTM total is terrible, fine would have been 150$ million domestic. KOTM only 50$ million less internationally then G-2014 did.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

miguelnuva wrote:I always knew Aladdin would do 1B, just wish kotm would have made it closer to that 800m mark.
Two billion dollar movies (if KOTM made around 800 million) can’t coexist with each other. If you always knew Aladdin would reach 1 billion, then there is no logical way you can believe that KOTM will even make 800 million.
Long Live The King

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The Meg wouldn't have stood a chance in KOTMs position.

All things considered this was the biggest beating given to the Monsterverse yet, and i don't think any Monsterflick would have stood a chance. KOTM did pretty decent compared to the other films released that month.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

People still haven't caught onto the idea that the movie business is inherently always full of competition and KOTM failed, not because of Aladdin, but that simply less people wanted to see KOTM then those that wanted to see Aladdin? I was going through Reddit and shit, and I've seen so many excuses blaming marvel and disney, and there's so much toxic overblown hate.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

The weather just wasn't that good in May, nobody wanted to go out and see movies!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:People still haven't caught onto the idea that the movie business is inherently always full of competition and KOTM failed, not because of Aladdin, but that simply less people wanted to see KOTM then those that wanted to see Aladdin? I was going through Reddit and poop, and I've seen so many excuses blaming marvel and disney, and there's so much toxic overblown hate.
….I'm lost. KOTM didn't fail because of Aladdin but because more people want to see Aladdin instead of KOTM....which means it is because of Aladdin.

Not disagreeing with your point that this was due to normal movie circumstances and not some sinister Marvel/Disney shadow empire, but I just don't get what you're seeing here, my dude.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:The weather just wasn't that good in May, nobody wanted to go out and see movies!
There's a big difference between rival films and whether it rained that month or not.

You can't think that the movie slate for that month was a non-issue.

Added in 1 minute 2 seconds:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
….I'm lost. KOTM didn't fail because of Aladdin but because more people want to see Aladdin instead of KOTM....which means it is because of Aladdin.

Not disagreeing with your point that this was due to normal movie circumstances and not some sinister Marvel/Disney shadow empire, but I just don't get what you're seeing here, my dude.
Yeah while it is typical business strat, to say Aladdin didn't play a part is nonsensical.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

What were the bigger issues were definitely the critical reception and poor word of mouth
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd say critical reception and a weak release date. We can even take into consideration the modest reactions to G14 as a part of the problem.

Word of Mouth from Gen Audiences seemed mostly positive though.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Previous Monsterverse films had some stiff competition but managed to pull through in the end. I think with KOTM it's just that the studio pretty much left it to die. It wasn't good enough to justify coming out when it did, it would've been good as one of those "Hey that was alright" movies that come out in dead periods (Rise of The Planet of the Apes, The Meg) but WB/Legendary flushed it away down the summer blockbuster bowl.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:People still haven't caught onto the idea that the movie business is inherently always full of competition and KOTM failed, not because of Aladdin, but that simply less people wanted to see KOTM then those that wanted to see Aladdin? I was going through Reddit and poop, and I've seen so many excuses blaming marvel and disney, and there's so much toxic overblown hate.

KOTM failed due to its own merit, not because of some big disney conspiracy.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote:I'd say critical reception and a weak release date. We can even take into consideration the modest reactions to G14 as a part of the problem.

Word of Mouth from Gen Audiences seemed mostly positive though.
Doubt G14 is to blame, Kong's marketing had FROM THE PRODUCERS OF GODZILLA slapped all over it and it ended up grossing more than G14. I remember cause I thought that line was going to turn people off.

Rotten Tomatoes isn't a great barometer for audience reception, doubt anybody beyond the niche Letterboxd/self proclaimed movie fan crowd bothers logging and rating films, much less on RT. The hard numbers show that Godzilla was dropping hard week after week, considerably more so than G14 and KSI.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

KOTM failed due to its own merit, not because of some big disney conspiracy.
Right. That's what I thought you were saying, just got confused by the wording at first. Thanks for clarifying.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I still don't think the films quality overall did any worse than most modern U.S. blockbusters.

I actually felt the script and acting was slightly above plenty of big cape flicks that have come out recently.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.