MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Moogabunga wrote:I'll just say that if the Monsterverse ends simply because of Toho taking away the rights of Godzilla from Legendary, I could easily see there being some backlash against Toho, especially if the next two installments are received with high praise

Even more so if the next Godzilla movies Toho makes are divisive.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho has all the cards but the fact is they need Legendary to keep Godzilla worldwide. Toho in theory could make Godzilla movies and be very successful in Japan but the Legendary pictures are needed if they want to succeed in America and the rest of the world.

A film twice as good as Shin Godzilla and and made twice as much in Japan would likely still bomb here in America for example.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

After the KOTM trailer I send my best wishes for the future of this universe. The creative team behind it seems to be fairly and deeply invested into the lore. The continuity(thus far) is seemingly flawless and the I'm starting to like the human character interaction to an extent especially that from K:SI.

The idea of Titans becoming an serious issue and the world government having to take action deciding whether or not they are harmful of necessary. It's nice, I like this spin on the concept. I'm assuming we'll see the fallout/response in GvK.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

ernesth100 wrote:After the KOTM trailer I send my best wishes for the future of this universe. The creative team behind it seems to be fairly and deeply invested into the lore. The continuity(thus far) is seemingly flawless and the I'm starting to like the human character interaction to an extent especially that from K:SI.

The idea of Titans becoming an serious issue and the world government having to take action deciding whether or not they are harmful of necessary. It's nice, I like this spin on the concept. I'm assuming we'll see the fallout/response in GvK.
Yeah, this isn't like many other non-MCU cinematic universes where the continuity is iffy. I'd say this is the best non-superhero cinematic universe and the second best one overall by default.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

This cinematic universe will be forever incomplete without a Jet Jaguar solo film.
In all seriousness, with all of the kaiju hinted at so far, this would be the right time for a Godzilla cartoon series in the MonsterVerse.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

As soon as they decided to add Ghidorah in, any demands for further grounded realism have been rendered futile.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Give Kong another movie after GvK and then do a Destroy All Monsters with a final battle in Tokyo.

End Monsterverse.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Moogabunga wrote:I'll just say that if the Monsterverse ends simply because of Toho taking away the rights of Godzilla from Legendary, I could easily see there being some backlash against Toho, especially if the next two installments are received with high praise
I won't go see any Toho Godzilla film released in theaters or buy any DVDs/blurays releases if they take the rights away from Legendary even if GKotM and GvK are successful.

Its petty bullshit that I unfortunately expect to happen. I mean just look at Shin Gojira, "True" Godzilla. They can't stand it when an outside, especially western, entity does Godzilla better than them.
Last edited by SG-17 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Give Kong another movie after GvK and then do a Destroy All Monsters with a final battle in Tokyo.

End Monsterverse.
I disagree, I think they should drag out the MonsterVerse for as long as is financially and humanly possible. 8-)

I stand by my prediction that any future beyond 2020 will look something like:

Kong 2
Godzilla 4
Standalone Mothra or Rodan (or Kong 3)
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters

With Kong 2 coming no sooner than 2022 or 2023, with the rest coming about one a year every one to two years following. And the standalone Mothra or Rodan movie only coming if KOTM does really well (no idea what the threshold for that should be) and one of them proves popular with audiences.

Toss out any wild notions of bringing in B or C tier kaiju or doing some huge MCU-style expansion. This is a smaller cinematic universe and is probably going to stay small, as it has a nice little niche it can fill that's being ignored by all the superhero stuff and so long as it doesn't try to actually compete directly with Marvel it should just chug along for as long as Legendary, Toho, and Warner Brothers want it to.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

SG-17 wrote: Its petty bullshit that I unfortunately expect to happen. I mean just look at Shin Gojira, "True" Godzilla. They can't stand it when an outside, especially western, entity does Godzilla better than them.
Actually Shin is a pretty common word to attach to reboots of classic properties in Japan. Shin Getter Robo, Shin Devilman, Shin Kamen Rider, etc. It just simply means "new". It's not Toho trying to be smug or anything like you're suggesting.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:As soon as they decided to add Ghidorah in, any demands for further grounded realism have been rendered futile.
I think one thing people should try to do is change the word "realism" to "believability". We all know things like Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, etc are all unrealistic. But what people seem to like is that they're handled in a more believable manner than they were in the Showa and Heisei eras. Honestly, i chock this up to filmmaking styles and special effects more than anything. But that's just my opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If we make it to 2030 I'd bet money on Mechagodzilla.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote:If we make to 2030 I'd bet money on Mechagodzilla.
I can't imagine we make it to 2030. I wouldn't be shocked if we get past Kong vs Godzilla. But another 12 years? That's a stretch.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Maritonic wrote:
I can't imagine we make it to 2030. I wouldn't be shocked if we get past Kong vs Godzilla. But another 12 years? That's a stretch.
If the movies are a success and assuming it takes 2020 part of 2021 the monsterverse could put a movie out every 3 years.

Kong 2 on 2022/23
Godzilla 3 2024/2025
Rodan or Mothra 2026/2027

Godzilla 4 2030.

They could have a lot of fun with a Mechagodzilla saga.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
If the movies are a success and assuming it takes 2020 part of 2021 the monsterverse could put a movie out every 3 years.

Kong 2 on 2022/23
Godzilla 3 2024/2025

Godzilla 4 2030.

I don't disagree, I just think it's wishful thinking.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Maritonic wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Kong 2 on 2022/23
Godzilla 3 2024/2025

Godzilla 4 2030.

Maybe a bit, but it's not unreasonable IMO - I think this outline is pretty low key and keeps expectations fairly low, it seems like the most plausible future post-GvK assuming there is one. 2030 may feel like a million years away, but we have to remember it takes time to make movies - usually something like two to three years - and we have to account for both WB/Legendary probably not wanting to overdo it AND for Toho probably wanting some gaps in between for their own releases. Once you start thinking of that, 2030 suddenly isn't so far away. :)
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Kong 2 on 2022/23
Godzilla 3 2024/2025

Godzilla 4 2030.

Maybe a bit, but it's not unreasonable IMO - I think this outline is pretty low key and keeps expectations fairly low, it seems like the most plausible future post-GvK assuming there is one. 2030 may feel like a million years away, but we have to remember it takes time to make movies - usually something like two to three years - and we have to account for both WB/Legendary probably not wanting to overdo it AND for Toho probably wanting some gaps in between for their own releases. Once you start thinking of that, 2030 suddenly isn't so far away. :)
No, I'll agree, this is the most realistic outline I've seen compared to all the ridiculous Marvel-style posts where they'll drop three movies a year. And maybe it isn't unreasonable, maybe you're right about that. I think I just don't have high expectations for the audiences to keep this floating, nor Toho to let it go past 2020. Sure it makes them money, but that doesn't mean Toho is the smartest company around.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Like I said on the general non spoiler territory:

2021- Mothra
2023- Kong: The Eighth Wonder of the World
2024- Godzilla 3
2025- Destroy All Monsters

Mark my words ;)
Yooo 8-)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

JGAR wrote:Like I said on the general non spoiler territory:

2021- Mothra
2023- Kong: The Eighth Wonder of the World
2024- Godzilla 3
2025- Destroy All Monsters

Mark my words ;)
Oh! I like that title for Kong 2! :D

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I think they have plans beyond GvK, it just makes sense. But I really would prefer this universe to stay small. I like the idea of a Kong 2 and then a Destroy All Monsters type film to end it. I don't know if they have enough traction with Rodan or Mothra to get their own films.

In addition to Kong 2 and DAM, I'd love to see a Monarch limited series, maybe a Netflix/Hulu/Amazon exclusive or something along those lines.