Jordan Vogt-Roberts on Directing a RODAN Solo Film

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
SirSSJacob
Samurai

Re: Jordan Vogt-Roberts on Directing a RODAN Solo Film

Post by SirSSJacob »

YES GODZILLA!! Please make it happen! ^_^

On a big side note... I just thought about it. Mr. Vogt-Roberts should totally Direct Kong vs Godzilla in 2020!
I would be completely on board with that

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SirSSJacob wrote:YES GODZILLA!! Please make it happen! ^_^

On a big side note... I just thought about it. Mr. Vogt-Roberts should totally Direct Kong vs. Godzilla in 2020!
Him or Michael Dougherty. After what the latter demonstrated with Krampus and how enthusiastic the guy is with directing KotM. I'd be all up for him doing it as well delivering us the Godzilla movies we anticipated.

SirSSJacob
Samurai

Post by SirSSJacob »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
SirSSJacob wrote:YES GODZILLA!! Please make it happen! ^_^

On a big side note... I just thought about it. Mr. Vogt-Roberts should totally Direct Kong vs. Godzilla in 2020!
Him or Michael Dougherty. After what the latter demonstrated with Krampus and how enthusiastic the guy is with directing KotM. I'd be all up for him doing it as well delivering us the Godzilla movies we anticipated.
Fair point, Let's see what he does with KotM first lol I don't doubt he's a good Director I'm just not familiar with his work(I mean i haven't seen any)
Also he's enthusiastic about making KotM?! That's awesome ^_^ I haven't heard that yet lol

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Okay...so Jordan did 70s with King Kong meets Apocalypse Now. So how about Rodan is set in the 80s and its Rodan meets...Top Gun? Ambiguously not-ambiguously homosexual romance with daredevil jet pilots vs. Rodan(s)!

Xenogojira
Samurai

Post by Xenogojira »

A Rodan movie could work if KotM succeeds in making its titular monsters more familiar to the Average Joes. I would love it if Rodan starts out hibernating in a volcano, which would serve as another gateway to the Hollow Earth, similar to Skull Island.

And yes, Megaguirus would be the perfect enemy kaiju. Hell, prehistoric pterosaurs actually hunted dragonflies. And I like the contrast of a reptilian monster battling an insect-like creature (similar to Big G vs the Mutos).
In space, nobody can hear you screeonk.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Okay...so Jordan did 70s with King Kong meets Apocalypse Now. So how about Rodan is set in the 80s and its Rodan meets...Top Gun? Ambiguously not-ambiguously homosexual romance with daredevil jet pilots vs. Rodan(s)!
I know you're just kind of joking, but on a serious note about timelines.... They need not to do any films based between Kong and G14. The regular person still did not know monsters existed till G14. Every future film needs to take place in the present.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^Unless we get a period piece, written off by historians as folklore: Downton Abbey vs Godzilla!

(but no let's never do this and keep everything in the present)

Xenogojira
Samurai

Post by Xenogojira »

Cookson wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:Okay...so Jordan did 70s with King Kong meets Apocalypse Now. So how about Rodan is set in the 80s and its Rodan meets...Top Gun? Ambiguously not-ambiguously homosexual romance with daredevil jet pilots vs. Rodan(s)!
I know you're just kind of joking, but on a serious note about timelines.... They need not to do any films based between Kong and G14. The regular person still did not know monsters existed till G14. Every future film needs to take place in the present.
It all depends on the setting, really. It could work if it all happened far from civilization. I had this idea of a "Journey to the Center of the Earth" styled movie, since Kong Skull Island introduced the Hollow Earth concept. Hiddleston, Larson and company could return for a quasi-sequel bridging K:SI and G:KotM.
In space, nobody can hear you screeonk.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

I think it was mentioned on another thread, but someone help me out, wasn't it Guillermo Del Toro who mentioned that he would love to do a King Ghidorah origin film?

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

JesstrK wrote:I think it was mentioned on another thread, but someone help me out, wasn't it Guillermo Del Toro who mentioned that he would love to do a King Ghidorah origin film?
No, that was the director of Pacific rim uprising

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

That's pretty much EXACTLY what i want. :D Not necessarily set in the '80s (though that'd be cool IMO), but if they ever actually do a new Rodan movie it SHOULD be pretty much "Top Gun with Kaiju". Rodan is the only one where you can have the human protagonist really get mixed up in the action by having it be a Fighter Pilot up against Rodan and whatever other flying beast they come up with. :) 8-)
Cookson wrote:I know you're just kind of joking, but on a serious note about timelines.... They need not to do any films based between Kong and G14. The regular person still did not know monsters existed till G14. Every future film needs to take place in the present.
Hm...no, I disagree on that point. For Godzilla, probably, but for the others it's not entirely necessary.

You could, picking up daveblackeye15's suggestion to set Rodan in the '80s, have it take place largely in the Soviet Union or China, for example. Most of the real action would be high up in the skies anyway (a Rodan movie is pretty much a dogfighting/fighter pilot movie), so just put whatever ground action there is someplace remote or someplace where the truth would just be covered up no matter how ridiculously large the results are (like how early in G'14 they covered up the MUTO's first and second rampages in Japan with earthquakes). The movie could end with the truth being laughed at by the general pubic as a wild UFO conspiracy theory.

Really, the whole Secret History element of the MonsterVerse gives a TON of room to work with and allows all kinds of crazy stuff. :)

And as for why the truth never comes out, you could make the explanation as simple as, "Well, until Godzilla and Hokmuto attacked Honolulu none of them had ever waltzed into a major city before." Which, actually, allows for a ton more variety in set pieces - anything set before 2014 has to take place in the wilderness or small out of the way towns, anything after 2014 gets to smash landmarks. :)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Who does he know that craps over Rodan?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

miguelnuva wrote:Who does he know that craps over Rodan?
Toho, for one.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Another cool idea that could replace Rodan vs Megaguirus, is that there could be two Rodans and one of them dies by falling into a volcano, but the other is shown to have to survived in a post-credits scene or at the end. The post-credits scene, if it isn't showing the second Rodan, could show something about the next MonsterVerse film.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

I would love it if Rodan and Mothra got solo films down the line, there is soo much potential.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

As much as I'd want more solo kaiju films, I can see them getting super repetitive.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

They could totally set movies in the past (distant past). If they go back a half-millennium to tales of monsters in the ocean (Kraken) that's easily considered lore today.

So how about an ancient Mothra epic?
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I'd kind of like to see something about what Monster caused the shipwreck that Randa survived in the 40's. Ebirah?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Mr. Yellow wrote:I'd kind of like to see something about what Monster caused the shipwreck that Randa survived in the 40's. Ebirah?
Wasn't it Godzilla?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

How do we know this?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda