KKVG and Kong Skull Island Visual Nods

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

KKVG and Kong Skull Island Visual Nods

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Since the recent trailer, I have noticed some interesting visual similarities between King Kong Vs Godzilla and Kong Skull Island. This really shouldn't be a surprise, after all, this'll all lead up to a KKVG remake, but I wanted to discuss possible throwbacks to KKVG in Kong Skull Island. They might, though I doubt it reference King Kong Escapes or something, we'll just have to see.
Keep in mind I feel a lot of this may change when the movie comes out, and we'll just have to see.

1. Mire Squid/Oodako
In KKVG there's actually another kaiju than the titular monsters, and it actually appears and briefly fights Kong. The giant squid was never really a Toho staple, and as a result doesn't need a copyright, so I see the Mire Squid actually as just Oodako, or a callback to that.

2. "Eat your veggies!"
Towards the end of Kong Skull Islands trailer Kong Picks up a large tree and proceeds to ram one of the Skull crawlers with it. It's very remincicent of what occurs in KKVG. This could just be a coincidence, but if at any point Kong tries shoving it down one of their throats it'll be obvious.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: KKVG and Kong Skull Island Visual Nods

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Skull Crawlers are definitely a nod to that two legged lizard in 1933's King Kong.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Skull Crawlers are definitely a nod to that two legged lizard in 1933's King Kong.
Does anyone have a clip of the vine lizards? I've looked and all I can find are pictures of them.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:Does anyone have a clip of the vine lizards? I've looked and all I can find are pictures of them.
Well here's an image of it.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Does anyone have a clip of the vine lizards? I've looked and all I can find are pictures of them.
I guess I could just rent the movie.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
If you look up the insect pit recreation by Peter Jackson it should make an appearance towards the end of that clip.

1933 Skull Crawler appears at the 4:35 mark
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Well here's an image of it.
If you look up the insect pit recreation by Peter Jackson it should make an appearance towards the end of that clip.

1933 Skull Crawler appears at the 4:35 mark
Ah, thank you. Damn thing was bigger than I was expecting.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Originally I intended this to just be a toho related reference thread but we might as well dig deep and apply it to the franchise. Only more specific things though, like don't say Kong Skull island thing is a reference because they've got Dino's. We'll just wait and see
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: 2. "Eat your veggies!"
Towards the end of Kong Skull Islands trailer Kong Picks up a large tree and proceeds to ram one of the Skull crawlers with it. It's very remincicent of what occurs in KKVG. This could just be a coincidence, but if at any point Kong tries shoving it down one of their throats it'll be obvious.
Wasn't that bit in KKvG just an homage to the 1933 original? It's been a while since I watched it, but I think Kong puts a tree down the t-rex's throat in that.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:Wasn't that bit in KKvG just an homage to the 1933 original? It's been a while since I watched it, but I think Kong puts a tree down the t-rex's throat in that.
The KKvsG one it's a homage, but not to the 1933 film, but to one promotional poster.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^Actually I'm pretty sure in the 1933 Kong, he does try to shove a tree branch down the t-rex's throat.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^No he doesn't.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

I don't know how to post images but I found this shot. It's more of a branch/log and not a tree, but you can see the similarities between this shot and the one in KK vs G.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kong+sh ... euhn5P0GaM:

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^ That was just a publicity photo. That scene never appeared in the actual film. Its a mock up of 2 different shots of the animation models.
Here is the shot of the T-Rex model used in that photo.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Wow, that's crazy. It's been a long time since I've seen KK, so you must be right. Maybe I saw that promo somewhere?

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I think this is the shot of Kong that was used for that mock-up.

Also King Kong vs Giant Octopus