lwi: Skull Island Natives

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

lwi: Skull Island Natives

Post by BlankAccount »

There are some fantastical creatures existing in the world that could threaten our very existence, with Skull Island being the most fascinating and the most dangerous place on Earth, filled with many super fauna, super flora and recently discovered Florafauna. So mind blowing are these impossible creatures it's easy to overlook the indigenous natives who live here, whose ability to survive and build a civilization in such a cruel world filled with impossible creatures is mindbogglingly and impossible in of itself.

We at Monarch must befriend and learn from the lwi if we are to better understand and study the "monsters" that live on this island of death. All expedition units are to have at least two translators for interaction with the lwi. - Monarch Science Intel Team

Not much is known about the natives, hoping we get some more lore on them when the movie comes out or when it's near release. Discus theories, thoughts and opinions on them. Personally I'm glad that we are finally getting a King Kong film where the natives can be reasoned with thanks to Hank Marlow (John C. Reilly).

I thought it was interesting that the Leafwing profile mentions that the lwi hunt them down to grind their wings into a drug. With the florafauna now confirmed on this island, I think it'd be a neat bit of lore if it turns out ingesting this powder made from such a creature means the natives are possibly in of themselves florafauna, with the parasitic plant growing inside their bodies in a weird symbiotic relationship.

Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: lwi: Skull Island Natives

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Living Corpse wrote: in a weird symbolic relationship.
Ah, yes. The wonderful symbolic relationship. :lol:

But yeah, the Iwi seem really cool. The paint doesnt seem entirely practical but whatever.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Living Corpse wrote: in a weird symbolic relationship.
Ah, yes. The wonderful symbolic relationship. :lol:

But yeah, the Iwi seem really cool. The paint doesnt seem entirely practical but whatever.
Typos! My arch nemesis!

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I wonder if they know anything about Godzilla
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Ryguy wrote:I wonder if they know anything about Godzilla
He could be a "Titan" to them to Kong's God. Or maybe a "Super-God".

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gojira18 wrote:
Would not be surprised, it is an island and he is old enough to have swim pretty much everywhere.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'm curious about where potential Kong sequels might go with this concept.

In both this continuity and the Peter Jackson Kong world, the Skull Island natives appear to be the survivors of a much older, more advanced civilization. It would be nice if this were explored for once
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Living Corpse wrote:I thought it was interesting that the Leafwing profile mentions that the lwi hunt them down to grind their wings into a drug. With the florafauna now confirmed on this island, I think it'd be a neat bit of lore if it turns out ingesting this powder made from such a creature means the natives are possibly in of themselves florafauna, with the parasitic plant growing inside their bodies in a weird symbiotic relationship.

Who are you referring too?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Anyone know how to even pronounce lwi?
LegendZilla wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I thought it was interesting that the Leafwing profile mentions that the lwi hunt them down to grind their wings into a drug. With the florafauna now confirmed on this island, I think it'd be a neat bit of lore if it turns out ingesting this powder made from such a creature means the natives are possibly in of themselves florafauna, with the parasitic plant growing inside their bodies in a weird symbiotic relationship.

Who are you referring too?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:Anyone know how to even pronounce lwi?
I assume something like "Kiwi" but without the K. IIRC the natives ARE related to Maori tribes.

EDIT: Just found this on ol' Wikipedia:
"This is a list of the Māori iwi of New Zealand. According to the glossary definition of the National Library of New Zealand, "iwi" is a "Māori word for a set of people bound together by descent from a common ancestor or ancestors. Literally: bone. Modern meaning: tribe."
EDIT AGAIN:

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... nglish/iwi

There we go. :D
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think this helps lend some credence to the idea of Skull Island becoming this continuity's Monster Island seeing as how Monarch seems very keen on creating a relationship with the tribe.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I think this helps lend some credence to the idea of Skull Island becoming this continuity's Monster Island seeing as how Monarch seems very keen on creating a relationship with the tribe.
That's fanfic I wrote. >_>

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Detaining monsters on an island where people live seems counterintuitive.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Gojira18 wrote:
"For every land a King, for every king a god" or something like that.

Unrelated but: Isn't it kind of strange that there are all these super sized monsters on Skull Island, but yet the human inhabitants remain unaffected? Why? How? It seems like the theory of the island itself being conducive to giants monsters, or being responsible for their creation, doesn't hold as much water because of that. Maybe Skull Island came into existence by a massive underwater volcanic eruption -- like the Hawaiian islands -- and these creatures living deep under water, feeding on geothermal radiation (that is their food source right guys/gals?) found their way to the surface because of this.

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

Perosnal Headcanon: the iwi have been there since the humans colonisation of the pacific island however they got a new genetic stock from all the ship that crashed over the years

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

New body paint: Blue.

Theories: The color could be a ranking, with yellow being low or young or warrior/hunter, and blue being elder, leader or retired warrior.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kind of bummed we don't learn much about them in the movie. All we get from Marlow is that they are silent most of the time (makes sense, don't wanna draw the attention of super predators) and they age extremely slowly. While there's nothing disproving my theory they are part plant like a lot of lifeforms on the island, there is also nothing proving it either. Longevity could just be their genetics and nothing more.

I feel like they could have made the Iwi just as interesting and odd as the monsters on the island. Heck even make them bigger than "normal" outsider people.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Yeah, they were kind of a letdown. I think the decision to have them not speak at all was the killer for me. Sure, it makes them mysterious, but it's not an interesting kind of mysterious. You have to see a little bit of the puzzle in order to get invested in figuring it out, but we don't really get anything from these people. I'd love for them to get built on in another movie, though.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I do wish we learned a little more about them. That said I was super glad they were not the creepy Orc people from the 2005 Kong movie. It is funny but I feel like the oldest version of the Kong natives were the most sympathetic and fleshed out. The 70s remake played more up the exoticism, 2005 made them monsters. The things I really like about this Kong is that they flip quite a few of the old rules. In about all the other versions they fear Kong, here they love him and he protects them.

I've actually wondered if the Shobijin will come from Skull Island. I've taken their lack of needing to speak as telepathy. Perhaps Marlow never outright said it since he worried he was going crazy.