Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Do you consider Awakening Canon or not

Yes
32%
No
37%
Part of it
21%
It is part of canon, but I would prefer if it was not
5%
No, but I like it anyway
5%

Total votes: 98

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Post by Godzillian »

I consider it a side Story that'll probably end up being retconned anyway

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

I consider the sort of "core" story to be canon--but not all the details are going to line up. If I had to go into specifics... <_< I expect a lot of elements to be retconned as the MonsterVerse expands.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Post by bugmolly »

Spoiler:
there is a scene in the begining where John goodmans character is talking about a navy ship that got attacked by a monster but was covered up (he also may have said he was on the ship and was the only survivor but i cant remeber it 100%) whitch reminded me of the ship that was attacked by the shinomura so i am considering it cannon

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

So, while I have to admit I was more in "awakening not canon" camp after KSI, I am much more on the side that it is

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I think some parts are canon, namely Shinomura.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Monarch was confirmed activate before 19545 now, looks like Borenstien made sure all three of his stories lined up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Slight K:SI spoilers maybe? I'unno, tagging just to be safe.
Spoiler:
If anything, Kong: Skull Island blasted this tie-in completely out of continuity, what with MONARCH being on life support at the start of the film due to a lack of funding from the govt., itself a result of MONARCH being unable to turn up any actual evidence of monsters other than Godzilla, which has resulted in them being viewed as crazy tinfoil hat wearing crackpots, and a complete waste of resources. Given that MONARCH literally had a MONSTER MUSEUM in Awakening, this would be highly unlikely if it was still in continuity.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

NSZ wrote:Slight K:SI spoilers maybe? I'unno, tagging just to be safe.
Spoiler:
If anything, Kong: Skull Island blasted this tie-in completely out of continuity, what with MONARCH being on life support at the start of the film due to a lack of funding from the govt., itself a result of MONARCH being unable to turn up any actual evidence of monsters other than Godzilla, which has resulted in them being viewed as crazy tinfoil hat wearing crackpots, and a complete waste of resources. Given that MONARCH literally had a MONSTER MUSEUM in Awakening, this would be highly unlikely if it was still in continuity.
Heh I think I can give some explanation to that
Spoiler:
All the stuff in the museum is dead and human size, presumably those are just remains that Monarch been acquiring, if nothing more interesting came about for almost 20 years it make sense why their budget would get cut
bugmolly wrote:
Spoiler:
there is a scene in the begining where John goodmans character is talking about a navy ship that got attacked by a monster but was covered up (he also may have said he was on the ship and was the only survivor but i cant remeber it 100%) whitch reminded me of the ship that was attacked by the shinomura so i am considering it cannon
Spoiler:
Would be neat, but the guy name is Shaw, not Bill, it might be what was intended though

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^^If you have to go out of your way to make excuses for something to be in continuity then it's not cannon.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:^^^If you have to go out of your way to make excuses for something to be in continuity then it's not cannon.
Half the franchises in the world have that problem, Star Wars even ran into that problem.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

miguelnuva wrote:Star Wars even ran into that problem.
Considering what ended up happening with the old EU, I'm not entirely sure that using it as an example on how Awakening could still be canon is the best idea...
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

I'd have to say no to Awakening being canon, not just because of what NSZ brought up, but for the simple reason that Awakening is based on an early draft of G14. As a result, we have cases of inconsistencies between the two, such as Serizawa's age and the Blu-Ray specials for G14 outright contradicting G14 with the events leading up to the bomb "testings." It's about as canon as most novelizations for movies in that way, which is to say, not at all.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

NSZ wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Star Wars even ran into that problem.
Considering what ended up happening with the old EU, I'm not entirely sure that using it as an example on how Awakening could still be canon is the best idea...
Star Wars now still has that problem and has to make retcons to fix itself.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

bugmolly wrote:
Spoiler:
Haven't read the book, but if the ship in question is the USS Larson or something similar, then most likely yes.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Reviving this thread because I feel it’s relivant. No I would not consider the comic cannon. There are way to many inconsistency’s with it and all the stuff that has come after G 14 to really consider it part of the main monsterverse.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Inconsistencies that only exist in the readers' minds.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ivo-goji wrote:Inconsistencies that only exist in the readers' minds.
No, inconsistencies that create plot holes in when compared to the film.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Ivo-goji wrote:Inconsistencies that only exist in the readers' minds.
Evidently, you haven’t read the comic in question.

You can do as many mental gymnastics as you want to make your head canon correct, but either way, there’s going to be major contradictions over many things, and if that’s the case, it should go without saying that Awakening is NOT canon.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I don't need mental gymnastics to overcome inconsistencies that no one addresses.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Ivo-goji wrote:I don't need mental gymnastics to overcome inconsistencies that no one addresses.
How are there not inconsistencies? I’d love to hear you defending all these co called “inconsistencies” and explain to everyone here how they DO make sense in the timeline.

Don’t see this happening though, at least not in a way that makes sense...
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking