Godzilla 2014: 3 years later

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Views on Godzilla 3 years later

Love it
36%
Like it
23%
Meh
8%
Don't like it
1%
Hate it
1%
Much better than I initially gave it credit for
3%
Much worse than I initially gave it credit for
1%
A bit better than I initially gave it credit for
4%
A bit worse than I initially gave it credit for
7%
Opinion stays the same
17%

Total votes: 142

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Godzilla 2014: 2 1/2 years later

Post by Dr. Professor »

Kaijunator wrote:Another problem I had was that the US was trying to nuke the kaiju. They fed on radiation. It would be like giving them breakfast, lunch, and dinner all at once.
Idk, man. Imagine if somebody dropped a food truck on top of you. An explosive food truck. ;)

Anyway, I still enjoy this film as much as I always have. Of course, my complaints are the same as everyone else's. Joe died too soon and the cut aways are annoying. It's a shame we'll never get to see that airport fight or the female Muto tear through Las Vegas. However, G14 delivered some of my favorite moments of the entire franchise: Godzilla's reveal, that oddly cute scene where the male Muto presents the nuke to the female one as if it were a bouquet of flowers, the atomic breath scene, etc. To be honest, the atomic breath scene isn't as powerful to me as it was when I first saw the film, but finally seeing Godzilla use his signature move on the big screen, like I've always wanted to ever since I was little kid, was an amazing experience for me. The smile I had on my face, man.

And while the human characters, aside from Joe and Serizawa, could've been more interesting, I don't feel that they're as bad as most people make them out to be. However, I thought the kaiju were handled perfectly in this film. When we finally get to see Godzilla in action, he's absolutely incredible. This is one of my favorite incarnations to date. The Mutos were fantastic opponents for the big guy as well, not to mention just all around interesting creatures. The Mutos also had a couple of pretty rad death scenes too. The people behind this movie certainly know how to kill off a kaiju.

All in all, it's not a perfect film by any means, but Godzilla has been such a big part of my life ever since I was a little kid and this was my first Godzilla movie I've ever seen in the theaters. And top of that, I'm stupidly sentimental. This movie will always hold a special place in my heart and is one my favorite films of all time because of that.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I like it, but I don't love it.

After repeated viewings in theaters and at home, my rating of 6/10 still applies.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I like it, Don't love it an don't hate it....

It still get's between a 6 or 6.5 out of 10.

Poor decision's after the first act really effected the film, After Cranston died and Godzilla appeared in Hawaii then film just dropped until the third act. Which was great minus the fact that it was to damn dark. Had they kept Cranston alive till the end of the film, dying only before Brody is reunited with his family and probably gave Godzilla a full action scene like an additional 2 minutes possibly 3 it would have done wonders for the film. Probably cutting out 15 minutes of footage during the second act too but meh.

That being said despite it's flaws it's still enjoyable, but it could have been a lot better (an a lot worse) hopefully the mistakes from the first will not be repeated in the sequel. Skull Island seem to be an improvement on the monster action part let's see how the acting goes..

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Movie suffers from a horrible lead, and the mistake to kill off Bryan Cranston. No doubt Shin Gojira also made me like it a little less because it suddenly didn't feel as the fresh new Godzilla film.

It also suffers, and thus isn't its fault, for being the "first" of this new series and taking its time. A lot of the film is buildup and cut always, which makes it really slow, but it'll be fine if Godzilla 2, and KKVG don't do that shit. So I think really my final thoughts can't be cemented until Godzilla 2, and KKVG come out.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

I really enjoy it still. Is it the best of the franchise? No. Is it in my top 10? Yes. Does it have issues? Hell yes it does but I still really dig it. The camerawork in particular is really great and I just love the "look" of this universe, these are things I think Gareth does great in every film seeing as Rogue One also had this. But the characters are very very hit and miss, I like Joe a lot and Serizawa is great. Stenz is a reasonable military figure so I like him a lot too. Ford, Ford is the issue, he is not a lead character but he is forced into the role of one.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

NewBloodGodz
Terminated
Terminated

Post by NewBloodGodz »

To bump a dead thread, I still feel uneasy with 2014 and the MonsterVerse in general. Sure it has good moments, but that's all it has going for it. Moments. If I recall correctly, the filmmakers at Toho said in one interview that Shin Godzilla would have been done regardless of whether or not 2014 would have been produced, so honestly, if that is true, you could cut 2014 and the MonsterVerse out of the picture and it wouldn't make one lick of difference to the franchise's current progress. That and I still can't accept the concept of an American Godzilla movie. I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs here, but given the history behind why the original exists, to take the morals, the symbolism, the allegory, and try to put it in a big budget blockbuster and reboot it from the ground up by making the very reason the character exists passed off as a cover up just doesn't sit well with me. It feels soulless to me honestly. I'm not bashing this film in any way, but I've gotten into many an argument unintentionally over the new origins of Godzilla and no one can perfectly back up why it needed to be the way it is. If I had to summarize it perfectly, I feel that Godzilla truly did end in 2004, everything else afterwards is just an attempt to pay tribute to what once was. Some doing better than others. Shin gave me renewed hope in the idea of a reboot, at least because it felt more like the Godzilla I grew up on, and they didn't really rewrite the origin to the point where it relied on a crackpot conspiracy theory. 2014 just felt like another attempt to just cash in on the name. I don't think people are truly asking the right questions about the franchise anymore. The message of the original 1954 film isn't outdated, so the origins should at least be honored properly. And given the 2012 Comic-Con trailer, I don't think I can be blamed for expecting that. I don't outright hate the MonsterVerse, but I feel it could be way better.

TL;DR - Still a mixed bag, still don't like his new origins, and I'm not trying to flame bait but I wanted to voice my thoughts.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

So, almost 3 years later, here are the answers to two of the most sought after questions for Gareth concerning Godzilla 2014. Before people get all up in arms about the answer to #2, I don't think Takarada's scene should be seen as the "nothing that was significant" footage that was cut. I think he meant to keep that separate.

Collider: Just throwing that out there. I wanna ask about Godzilla, Thomas Tull talked a while ago about how we might see an extended cut. Do you think we’re ever gonna get that extended cut?

EDWARDS: I have no idea. Honestly, you need to speak to Legendary about that stuff. It’s totally up to them whatever they do. I just wish them the best with the franchise because I was incredibly lucky, Thomas gave me my big shot in Hollywood and supported me the whole way, so I love everyone there and I’m excited about what they do. I don’t really wanna know because I want to see it as a fan at the cinema and have the same experience as everyone else.

Collider: Are there a lot of deleted scenes or other stuff that could make an extended cut of Godzilla, or is it minor stuff what people wouldn’t really notice?

EDWARDS: I would have thought it’s minor stuff that you wouldn’t really notice. Like making any film, there are various things that hit the cutting room floor, but there was nothing that significant.

Full interview: http://collider.com/gareth-edwards-rogu ... ted-scenes
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

NewBloodGodz wrote:To bump a dead thread, I still feel uneasy with 2014 and the MonsterVerse in general. Sure it has good moments, but that's all it has going for it. Moments. If I recall correctly, the filmmakers at Toho said in one interview that Shin Godzilla would have been done regardless of whether or not 2014 would have been produced, so honestly, if that is true, you could cut 2014 and the MonsterVerse out of the picture and it wouldn't make one lick of difference to the franchise's current progress. That and I still can't accept the concept of an American Godzilla movie. I know it sounds like I'm splitting hairs here, but given the history behind why the original exists, to take the morals, the symbolism, the allegory, and try to put it in a big budget blockbuster and reboot it from the ground up by making the very reason the character exists passed off as a cover up just doesn't sit well with me. It feels soulless to me honestly. I'm not bashing this film in any way, but I've gotten into many an argument unintentionally over the new origins of Godzilla and no one can perfectly back up why it needed to be the way it is. If I had to summarize it perfectly, I feel that Godzilla truly did end in 2004, everything else afterwards is just an attempt to pay tribute to what once was. Some doing better than others. Shin gave me renewed hope in the idea of a reboot, at least because it felt more like the Godzilla I grew up on, and they didn't really rewrite the origin to the point where it relied on a crackpot conspiracy theory. 2014 just felt like another attempt to just cash in on the name. I don't think people are truly asking the right questions about the franchise anymore. The message of the original 1954 film isn't outdated, so the origins should at least be honored properly. And given the 2012 Comic-Con trailer, I don't think I can be blamed for expecting that. I don't outright hate the MonsterVerse, but I feel it could be way better.

TL;DR - Still a mixed bag, still don't like his new origins, and I'm not trying to flame bait but I wanted to voice my thoughts.
The thing is, if you felt that Godzilla really ended in 2004, you'd also have to admit that Final Wars was at least as far removed from the original 1954 Godzilla as the 2014 version -- and I'd argue a lot more removed, but maybe I'm letting my own bias sway my judgment. There have been lots of iterations and reimagining of Godzilla throughout the years. He can be anywhere from an almost playful, benevolent friend to mankind who imitates popular Japanese dances (Godzilla vs Monster Zero) to the horrifying symbol of atomic destruction that you talked about. Yes, Godzilla movies for the most part have kept 1954 canon, but the Godzilla that's portrayed sometimes is nothing like the original -- and that's fine, because while '54 is an all-time classic, there have been lots of great, less serious (to put it mildly) Godzilla movies.

I understand wanting and expecting to see a certain type of movie and being disappointed. Nothing wrong with that and to some extent I agree with you; for that reason I also found elements of Shin refreshing. However, trying to re-create the horror of the 1954 original could have gone way, way wrong-- imagine if it approached the insensitivity of Ghost in the Shell! Point is, I think you're underestimating how hard it would actually be to approach the '54 classic. BUT, also consider that the door is open to explore the darker themes of Godzilla's nuclear history -- the side effects, the consequences, the future ramifications. We might not get '54 Godzilla, but I have a strong feeling that we'll see much more dystopian sequels in the future, not the least because of the political climate the US is in.

Give it time.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

My feelings are about the same. Good, not great, but perfectly good for what it is and what it set out to do. I wish it was the American Godzilla that came out when I was a kid. It feels like all the monster movies that should have been made around that time are finally coming out, and as a kid I would have ate it all up.

HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Post by HerryGrail »

I didn't like G14, and it passed into the memory hole pretty quickly—but then I saw "Kong," which I liked it a lot. So it's kind of weird to know a movie you didn't like and a movie you did like are coming together. My hopes are higher for it having seen "Kong," but honestly it all seems secondary to whatever's going on with Shin.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The MonsterVerse is what I'm looking forward to the most. Its a universe I've always wanted. However, Shin Godzilla absolutely surprised me. If they announced Shin Godzilla 2 I might just be looking forward to that world more. There's a lot of directions a sequel could take. Though, with the anime trilogy, I doubt anything will happen till 2021 with Shin I think.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I liked it.

I have the same complaints as everyone else. Cranston's character died too soon, there were way too many cutaways, and the footage we did get of Godzilla was too dark. But overall, it's a really fun movie to watch. What they did get right is Godzilla, and that's really the most important thing. The way he looks and acts is spot on to the character. I also love that it wasn't a rehash of "Godzilla vs the military". The Mutos were a great addition and enemy for Godzilla to fight.

I wish that we had gotten to see the Hawaii fight scene. The build up and release of Godzilla was insane and at that point, I was ready to be thrown right into the action and see him fight. I could have forgiven all of the other negatives I have against the movie if we had gotten that scene.

I LOVED Kong Skull Island so I guess, in my opinion, the movies are only getting better. Marvel didn't start out with the most phenomenal of movies, and look where we're at now. I have high hopes for Godzilla 2 and Godzilla vs Kong.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Kaijunator wrote:Still love it. It's tied with a few others for my favorite Goji film. My only problems were Joe's death (I think that was too early) and them cutting away from the kaiju too much.

EDIT: Another problem I had was that the US was trying to nuke the kaiju. They fed on radiation. It would be like giving them breakfast, lunch, and dinner all at once. It would've also increased the growth rate of the MUTO offspring.
Yeah but wasn't the sheer force of the bomb supposed to kill them? We feed on food, but too much at once can be bad for you.
GO GO GOJI KUN

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

3 years later: I still love the Godzilla design, the MUTOs quickly grew on me from the beginning and I still like them a lot, I still love the big set pieces, and I'm so happy it jumpstarted a new franchise.

However, I rarely watch this film from beginning to end any more. There are a few reasons for this, one of which is that I have a toddler who loves Godzilla and he does not have the attention span for all the character scenes. However, the bigger reason is:

1. The Blu-ray release of this film is appallingly bad. Not only is it way too damn dark (which plagues every version of its US release except the Blu-ray 3D version, seemingly), but I have watched it on two different TVs and sound crackles like it's blowing out the speakers during several key moments--specifically when Godzilla's tail rises out of the San Francisco Bay. I recently watched the digital copy and I was so relieved to finally not have that happen. If I didn't know better, I'd think WB felt the film was beneath contempt instead of the beginning of their big shared universe franchise.

2. I think the monster screen-time is perfectly fine, I like the cutaway at the airport, and I don't think Bryan Cranston dying was a mistake--but I still do not care about the Brody family's problems. Elizabeth Olsen and the kid are total non-entities that just vanish when they could have actually added to the film, and Ford is just so boring. So huge stretches of the film that should be making me care about the characters instead feel like padding. Why couldn't we have spent more time with Ken Watanabe, who is unquestionably the film's most interesting character, or made Elizabeth Olsen into an actual character? And the way that the nuke goes off at the end is the ultimate insult because it feels like a repeat of The Dark Knight Rises and it means that the constant justification for Ford being around because he's EOD was never relevant.

3. I am so damn tired of having to defend this movie against the same stupid complaints. "Godzilla was a cameo in his own movie!" "Godzilla was too fat!" "Bryan Cranston shouldn't have died!" It's always the exact same things over and over and it's exhausting and I start beginning to resent the film because of things that aren't even its fault.

So, ultimately, I like it a bit less than I used to. I still think it's a good movie, but if it had had better human characters it could have been great.
GoWhaleTours wrote:
Kaijunator wrote:Still love it. It's tied with a few others for my favorite Goji film. My only problems were Joe's death (I think that was too early) and them cutting away from the kaiju too much.

EDIT: Another problem I had was that the US was trying to nuke the kaiju. They fed on radiation. It would be like giving them breakfast, lunch, and dinner all at once. It would've also increased the growth rate of the MUTO offspring.
Yeah but wasn't the sheer force of the bomb supposed to kill them? We feed on food, but too much at once can be bad for you.
I think you're all missing the fact that it was supposed to be a bad plan. Well, I mean that "we'll kill them with the thing that they feed on that also couldn't kill Godzilla 60 years ago" was the explicitly bad and arrogant plan. I honestly don't know if we were also meant to think they were idiots for choosing to transport the nukes through a path that was guaranteed to take them into the path of the female MUTO.
vibramrunner wrote:
NewBloodGodz wrote:If I had to summarize it perfectly, I feel that Godzilla truly did end in 2004, everything else afterwards is just an attempt to pay tribute to what once was.
The thing is, if you felt that Godzilla really ended in 2004, you'd also have to admit that Final Wars was at least as far removed from the original 1954
Exactly this. Elliott Kalan (head writer of the new MST3K, former head writer on The Daily Show) would love to frequently point out on The Flophouse Podcast that the moral of Godzilla: Final Wars is Godzilla--and, by allegorical extension, Japan--being told to forgive America for nuking Japan. That may not have been the actual intent but it does kind of come off that way when you think about it.

And then you have Godzilla vs. Megalon, where Godzilla is at his most heroic and he is basically fighting for the right to test nuclear weapons.

I'd also argue NewBloodGodz's objections are also oversimplifying the 2014 film. Yes, I can see why an American Godzilla would make you uneasy and, yes, the film uses Fukushima imagery way too casually without having a deeper meaning--but it also does the same with 9/11 imagery. There's a lot of none-too-subtle commentary in the film about the military industrial complex that America has built and how it can often make threats to our nation far worse by interfering.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Shin Godzilla is all I wanted from a modern day take of the franchise. Legendary's attempt although a respectable one was not at all what I expected from a directional standpoint with it being a vs film and Godzilla being the hero in the end it just came off as another millennium film with a higher budget and American cast.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Still love it. It's got all the check marks of a good Godzilla film for me. Good action, respectable design, understandable plot, and the faults are more than out-weighed by the positives. Seeing Godzilla again in theaters for the first time in 14 years was like reuniting with an old friend. It doesn't try to be profound, doesn't need to be. It's got a message, said that plainly, and gave us some great action to remember it through. I actually still prefer it to Shin Godzilla. Neither of them is bad at all, it's just that 2014 got everything across whereas Shin got bogged down at some points a bit too much and its kaiju wasn't as active as I wanted him to be.

Xenogojira
Samurai

Post by Xenogojira »

My favorite Godzilla movie by far. Yes, the film has its problems but the monster designs, effects, sets, sounds and soundtrack were all perfect.

I still haven't seen Shin, but I doubt it's going to top Legendary's version (really not a fan of Shin's design).
In space, nobody can hear you screeonk.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

I love it. It's an epic film with great action, amazing visuals, superb sound design, and likable, if underdeveloped, characters.

Also, the teaser for it is what got me interested in Godzilla to begin with, and it was in anticipation for it's release that I watched the original 1954 film. My enjoyment of the 2014 film, and the horrifying message of the 1954 film, made me a fan. That said, my inetrest did fade after watching Mothra VS Godzilla and Godzilla VS Ebirah, the only films available for rental nearby. My excitement for the new Japanese film faded into forgetting it completely.

Then, last year, I got an ad on YouTube. Just before I could skip it, the words "From the creator of Evangelion" appeared. I had already seen NGE, so I was intrigued. It then cut to a city, explosions going off in the distance, and a familiar roar tearing through the night. Everything came flooding back, as the old music started up, and footage of people desperately racing against time flashed across the screen. It suddenly stopped to show praise for the film, then resumed to show a dark and crimson beast standing in the ruins of a once great city. One final roar, and the words Shin Godzilla appeared, and I knew I had to see this film.

If not for the 2014 film, I wouldn't have been excited. I may have just said "huh", and not given it a second thought. I wouldn't be a Godzilla fan if it wasn't for 2014.

Now, it's Godzilla: King of the Monsters that I'm most excited for, perhaps just as much, if not more, than I was for SG.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

The name of this thread should be changed since today is the third anniversary.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Dr. Professor wrote:The name of this thread should be changed since today is the third anniversary.
Done