Views on MONARCH

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What do you think of MONARCH?

Very interesting; can't wait to see more of them!
83%
Meh; made the human element tolerable at best.
17%
Not interesting
No votes

Total votes: 24

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Views on MONARCH

Post by BlankAccount »

vibramrunner wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well the fact Godzilla was dormant for so long they probably had relatively little funding. Now that giant monsters have been unleashed on the world their funding and influence will probably increase significantly.
Yeah the expedition to Skull Island is probably the last big thing they did before Godzilla and the Muto went on their rampages.
That's kind of stupid of them. Here you have the scientific discovery of a century on Skull Island -- that could wipe out the entire planet, mind you! -- and for thirty/forty years you sit around and wait for the MUTOs to show up. Nice planning guys.. they could do a whole 'nother Shin Godzilla about the failed bureaucracy of Monarch!!

Seriously though, they have to give them some kind of storyline from K:SI to G'14; probably a story centering around Kong because, you know, you can't just have a movie about him and then not provide him a tie-in to future movies. I don't see any other way around this* other than 1.) Kong gets captured and trained by Monarch or 2.) they swerve us completely and the Kong we see in K:SI gets killed by Godzilla and "Kong JR" sees it and is scarred for life, explaining why the two must fight.

*I'm sure there's other scenarios but I'm just too lazy right now.
Maybe I worded that wrong, I mean before finding the Muto cocoons, discovering, exploring, and making Skull Island an off limits area is probably the last major thing they did, as in they didn't discover anything else between SI and the Mutos till then or of they have, that's stuff for other movies.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

No, you didn't word it wrong; I just forgot that it was Monarch who actually found the cocoons, so they were at least trying. I still think there needs to be some nuance added, because just shrugging your shoulders and saying, "let them fight" -- as good of a line as that is -- isn't very intriguing or adding much depth. To clarify that: In G'14 it was fine, but K:SI needs, in my opinion, to provide a better understanding of this group and how it will relate to future storylines as well the backstory.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

They probably don't have much in the way of combating super fauna....yet. They did manage to hurt the Male Muto with electricity but they probably hadn't made more.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Anyone think Monarch might be turned into bad guys somewhere down the line, or perhaps a rogue member maybe introduced?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'd be down for it, a villain organization that was there from the start but biding it's time, at first being secretive but later slowly earning everyone trust when it become public, waiting for the right moment to show it's true colors.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Maybe they'll unleash Ghidorah?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

No.

Mechagodzilla. And Mecha-Kong.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I wonder if Monarch will have a more of a history with Mothra, (Monarch Butterfly-Giant Moth)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maybe she's one of the first they discovered? Would be kind of cute if she was what inspired their symbol, she's mysterious and they are a shadowy organization. Not much is known about either.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I think a Monarch/Mothra connection could work wonders. The character needs a lot of mythos around her. She could be much more than some random MUTO

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Maybe Monarch could clone her and accidentally make Battra.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I could see maybe Monarch kidnaps that Millie girl (assuming she does share a telepathic link with Mothra) thus causing her to awaken Mothra and call upon her for rescue

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

vibramrunner wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well the fact Godzilla was dormant for so long they probably had relatively little funding. Now that giant monsters have been unleashed on the world their funding and influence will probably increase significantly.
Yeah the expedition to Skull Island is probably the last big thing they did before Godzilla and the Muto went on their rampages.
That's kind of stupid of them. Here you have the scientific discovery of a century on Skull Island -- that could wipe out the entire planet, mind you! -- and for thirty/forty years you sit around and wait for the MUTOs to show up. Nice planning guys.. they could do a whole 'nother Shin Godzilla about the failed bureaucracy of Monarch!!

Seriously though, they have to give them some kind of storyline from K:SI to G'14; probably a story centering around Kong because, you know, you can't just have a movie about him and then not provide him a tie-in to future movies. I don't see any other way around this* other than 1.) Kong gets captured and trained by Monarch or 2.) they swerve us completely and the Kong we see in K:SI gets killed by Godzilla and "Kong JR" sees it and is scarred for life, explaining why the two must fight.

*I'm sure there's other scenarios but I'm just too lazy right now.
Or it could be a case of "Well, the kaiju are contained on the island, we better keep this secret from the public and other governments incase of panic or governments trying to capture the kaiju and use them for weapons while we (Monarch) study them and prepare counter measures". This is of course speculation as we will find out in Kong Skull Island when we see it.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

As long as Kong, Godzilla, and other monsters weren't a direct threat, Monarch likely kept survellience on the creatures and studied them just in case they became threats. They tried killing Godzilla, and Kong apparently, basing on a line from the trailer, and failed. Seeing that, you'd probably study them to find out if they had an achilles heel, could be contained, or used in some way. Who knows? There might have been people in Monarch who thought monster research could make them some profit. This kind of angle could be used in future films if Monarch or an offshoot of it were made into villains.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

It seems to me that me that the moves are showing two different sides to Monarch.

In Godzilla, those who represent Monarch view Godzilla with wonder and respect. The is a living biological marvel, the alpha predator of a bygone age and effectively a living god. We should just leave him be, let him do his thing and stay out of his way.

From what little we have seen of Kong (spoilers)
Spoiler:
Monarch's representative views Kong as a monster. They feels that Kong and others like him are a threat to humanity. To them Kong is magnificent but in a way that inspires fear and he feels Kong should be killed.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Monster X wrote:It seems to me that me that the moves are showing two different sides to Monarch.

In Godzilla, those who represent Monarch view Godzilla with wonder and respect. The is a living biological marvel, the alpha predator of a bygone age and effectively a living god. We should just leave him be, let him do his thing and stay out of his way.

From what little we have seen of Kong (spoilers)
Spoiler:
Monarch's representative views Kong as a monster. They feels that Kong and others like him are a threat to humanity. To them Kong is magnificent but in a way that inspires fear and he feels Kong should be killed.
Perhaps their views changed over the 40 years that separate the two films in the timeline. In the 1950s for instance, they tried nuking Godzilla. Maybe the events of Skull Island even play a part in why their perceptions change. If Kong saves them from the Skullcrawlers for example, the survivors might be less inclined to view him as a threat to be destroyed.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

That and seeing how hard these things are to kill they might put more effort into researching them. The male MUTO they wanted to study and killing it was a last resort.

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

Living Corpse wrote:That and seeing how hard these things are to kill they might put more effort into researching them. The male MUTO they wanted to study and killing it was a last resort.
Male Muto was also keeping the radiation from the Janjira plant from leaking out hence why they kept him alive

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Redem wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:That and seeing how hard these things are to kill they might put more effort into researching them. The male MUTO they wanted to study and killing it was a last resort.
Male Muto was also keeping the radiation from the Janjira plant from leaking out hence why they kept him alive
They still tried to kill it when it was hatching, they study it when it was in it's cocoon because that was the easiest way to study it, when it was dormant.