Gojira to Godzilla: Why and How?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Zilla103192
Keizer

Gojira to Godzilla: Why and How?

Post by Zilla103192 »

Taking a break from G2 discussion...

In the first film, one of my complaints is the sudden change in Godzillas name. In his introduction from Serizawa, he is referred to as "Gojira" and is referred to as such only a few more times. Then out of nowhere, everyone is calling him Godzilla.And not a single person is confused by this.

What? What happened there?

Now obviously there's some deleted scene that fills this in. But it's never been seen as I am aware.

So what do you think a good "in-universe" explanation for the change from Gojira to Godzilla is?

Godzilla 1998 had it as a simple misread on a news cast. But it's played off more as a joke. G14 has a more serious time too it and wouldn't fit the same kind of jokey explanation.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

UltramanGoji

Re: Gojira to Godzilla: Why and How?

Post by UltramanGoji »

The simple, and most likely, explanation is that they just translated it phonetically.

Godzilla IS the direct translation of ゴジラ. ゴ translates to "go", ジ to "dzi", and ラ to "la" or "ra".

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Zilla103192 wrote:Taking a break from G2 discussion...

In the first film, one of my complaints is the sudden change in Godzillas name. In his introduction from Serizawa, he is referred to as "Gojira" and is referred to as such only a few more times. Then out of nowhere, everyone is calling him Godzilla.And not a single person is confused by this.

What? What happened there?

Now obviously there's some deleted scene that fills this in. But it's never been seen as I am aware.
Asked that a couple of years ago. If I get the chance, I'll see if I can get some clarification.

Mirjahangir: There was something that kind of struck me in the movie is that Serizawa says 'this is Godzilla's name,' he said 'call it "Gojira,"' but then it cut to a radio operator who just says 'Godzilla.' Was there a deleted scene where they said 'okay, this is what we're gonna call it from now on?'

Borenstein: No. We had different thoughts at different times, but ultimately we felt that when Serizawa spoke the line, it made sense for him to say "Gojira" because that's the authentic Japanese name, and then the name basically gets corrupted into an anglicized version in the same way that it does in real life.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/m ... -2014.html
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Toho first came up with "Godzilla" in their 1954/55 English language sales catalogue. In the plot synopsis for the 1954 film they spell it as "Godzilla".

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Chris55 wrote:Asked that a couple of years ago. If I get the chance, I'll see if I can get some clarification.

Mirjahangir: There was something that kind of struck me in the movie is that Serizawa says 'this is Godzilla's name,' he said 'call it "Gojira,"' but then it cut to a radio operator who just says 'Godzilla.' Was there a deleted scene where they said 'okay, this is what we're gonna call it from now on?'

Borenstein: No. We had different thoughts at different times, but ultimately we felt that when Serizawa spoke the line, it made sense for him to say "Gojira" because that's the authentic Japanese name, and then the name basically gets corrupted into an anglicized version in the same way that it does in real life.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/m ... -2014.html
We should sticky this.
Godzilla

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Didn't basically the reverse of this happen in Shin? He was originally called Godzilla in Maki's notes, and then suddenly everyone called him Gojira.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma