Godzilla's design, change it or no?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gerdzerl

Re: Godzilla's design, change it or no?

Post by Gerdzerl »

I could see that design being used for a younger, skinnier, adolescent / sub-adult Godzilla from millions of years ago. He kinda looks healthier, less worn out, and more aggressive in that art, at least to me.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I like just about everything but the massive head... looks like a snake on a dinosaur's shoulders. Thin out the neck some and give the jaw some definition, and it might look more natural.

I'd love the return of traditional spines, though. I remember from interviews that the plate spines were especially Gareth's choice.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Minor and subtle changes are fine with me, but the overall look should stay the same. I don't need Godzilla coming in to the sequel looking nothing like he did in the first film.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

KingKaiju wrote:Minor and subtle changes are fine with me, but the overall look should stay the same. I don't need Godzilla coming in to the sequel looking nothing like he did in the first film.
Why? We've put up with that the past 62 years. :lol:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

BooLugosi wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Minor and subtle changes are fine with me, but the overall look should stay the same. I don't need Godzilla coming in to the sequel looking nothing like he did in the first film.
Why? We've put up with that the past 62 years. :lol:
Well now the CGI won't mold. hahahaha

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Godzilla The King wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:Based on the little I've seen of the Art Book, I'm amazed we ended up with such an actually good design. Most look like Zilla 2.0s.
To be fair, they were told to go crazy at first and then they'd take elements of each design and slowly it became the design we have now. Basically, a lot of the designs were to see what works and what doesn't.
Not only that but plenty of the designs that were thrown around were far more conservative than the final one i.e. there were straight out Heisei Godzilla carbon copies
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Make him less skinny. He's too fat. Even Japan said so! :)
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

No changes please. The most I'm willing to accept are battle scars from the MUTOs and maybe slightly more maple-leaf spines as a sign of aging, kind of like the antlers on a deer.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I think the design should stay the same, but add in maple leaf patterns and make them white. And maybe change the atomic breath a little.
Resized Image

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

As much as I prefer the more traditional dorsal plate design, I really appreciate that Gareth was going for something specific with LP's. He wanted the plates to be like slabs of slate that continuously grow and wear down/have pieces break off throughout Godzilla's life. And I think that look was pulled off perfectly. Making them more like the traditional design would ruin that, IMO.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Inferno Rodan wrote:As much as I prefer the more traditional dorsal plate design, I really appreciate that Gareth was going for something specific with LP's. He wanted the plates to be like slabs of slate that continuously grow and wear down/have pieces break off throughout Godzilla's life. And I think that look was pulled off perfectly. Making them more like the traditional design would ruin that, IMO.
Well, thats fair. Maybe they could just make it so it breaks off at some points, though? It would keep the slate looks while making them more jagged.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

The design's alright as it is now, but maybe it'll be given a few tweaks, personally it'd be sweet if his spines were given a whitish color and his body was more charcoal-black like in the Japanese movies. And of course, make his breath more ray-like, albeit i do like the "blue fire" atomic breath because of how similar it is to the Showa atomic breath.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

He could realistically loose weight, because animals can gain and loose weight the same way humans can.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I say the design is pretty much good the way it is.
Godzilla

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

A few minor tweaks should be fine. Some scars from the MUTOs would be cool. The design is a really good one.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

I wouldn't want it to change,

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

there's no reason for it to change apart from making cosmetic alterations to the textures to portray either scarring from the San Francisco fight or further aging. Unless there's a story-related reason for the design to change, it ought to remain the same
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.