The Inevitable Skull Crawlers Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Inevitable Skull Crawlers Thread

Post by NSZ »

Ryguy wrote:^There is a noticeably larger specimen in the trailer. It's the one present during the wildfire scene and the shot in the swamp where the guy is holding the two grenades.
That's not really evidence of hive structure, though. It just means that one particular individual was able to survive long enough to reach that size.

We shouldn't be making these kinds of claims when we have so very little to go off of.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Ryguy wrote:^There is a noticeably larger specimen in the trailer. It's the one present during the wildfire scene and the shot in the swamp where the guy is holding the two grenades.

I, myself, also have to admit disappointment that these seem to be fitting the bill for yet another monster colony. I was hoping for a lone macropredator wandering the island: the king of its domain, and the only thing rivaling Kong
Same here. These skull creatures look cool, but I'd rather Kong fight a large alpha predator type creature in the end. I guess we'll see.

Branflakes
Yojimbo

Post by Branflakes »

Has anyone considered that these things may actually be alien in origin? They don't look terrestrial to me. Think about it - everything else on this island is based on earth fauna - the buffalo, the stick bug (log bug?), the spider, Kong himself. There is a striking contrast between the familiarity of these animals and the Skullcrawlers. Now, this is where my theory starts to go into wild speculation territory, but hear me out... Those tunnels lead down to something. What if these things came down in some kind of meteor? That could explain the "full crystallography survey recommended" bit from the blacklight poster, if there are unknown/extraterrestrial elements on or within the island. That being said, I have a sneaking suspicion that these creatures may be, directly or indirectly, related to a certain golden, three-headed monstrosity...

Admittedly, it's a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's all that implausible. On another note - assuming any of this is true, I don't think they'd have Kong actually fight Ghidorah this time around, but it could be an interesting way to introduce the character and build up hype for Godzilla 2, since it'll be another 2 years until it arrives. Thoughts?
youtube.com/TheFlakeyOne

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't know I've always been suspicious of the Muto being alien in origin.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Branflakes wrote:That being said, I have a sneaking suspicion that these creatures may be, directly or indirectly, related to a certain golden, three-headed monstrosity...

Admittedly, it's a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's all that implausible. On another note - assuming any of this is true, I don't think they'd have Kong actually fight Ghidorah this time around, but it could be an interesting way to introduce the character and build up hype for Godzilla 2, since it'll be another 2 years until it arrives. Thoughts?
That would be extraordinary! Even if highly unlikely... It's not completely out the question, and this idea intrigues me to all extents.

It has actually been rumored that
Spoiler:
an alien lifeform is a major proponent in the plot. These rumors stated that Kong fights a river monster, and an extraterrestrial organism, if I recall correctly. But remember that these are only rumors founded-upon earlier screenplays, assuming that they are truthful to begin with
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I can't be the only one who thought of this when seeing the Skullcrawlers, right?

Resized Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Lol nope! I thought the same thing

Stemming from that were my hopes and dreams that the "queen" or "alpha" Skull Crawler would be quadrupedal like King Dodongo, because I'm not a fan of the weight forelegs-only design
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'm not digging the design all that much honestly. I'm getting tired of spindly, gangly, crawling creature designs in American monster movies... at least they don't have multiple Cloverfield-like limbs like the MUTOs though, but still... the movie has to really wow me to win me over.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

tbeasley wrote:I'm not digging the design all that much honestly. I'm getting tired of spindly, gangly, crawling creature designs in American monster movies... at least they don't have multiple Cloverfield-like limbs like the MUTOs though, but still...
Agreed

the only creatures that pulled the 'forelimbs heavy' concept are the monster from 'The Host' and Otachi
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I think heavy, powerful bipeds are overused in kaiju films, so I'm alright with the Skull Crawlers.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I think heavy, powerful bipeds are overused in kaiju films, so I'm alright with the Skull Crawlers.
While I agree with this, I definitely think G2 needs to have a bipedal kaiju. Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah(not really) aren't bipedal. Hopefully they incorporate one into the film.

The SkullCrawlers should definitely be interesting to see on screen.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Cookson wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:I think heavy, powerful bipeds are overused in kaiju films, so I'm alright with the Skull Crawlers.
While I agree with this, I definitely think G2 needs to have a bipedal kaiju. Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah(not really) aren't bipedal. Hopefully they incorporate one into the film.

I also agree with that. Really, I'm just embracing the amount of variety for the moment.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
Cookson wrote:

I also agree with that. Really, I'm just embracing the amount of variety for the moment.
Honestly, the Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah announcement came BEFORE they even knew this was going to turn into Godzilla/Kong universe. What I'm saying is, G2 might not even be the same idea they had originally. In the Godzilla/Kong announcement they said the other classic three COULD be used going further. I don't think they'll waist them all in one film.

Furthermore what I'm trying to say, it leaves open the room for LP to create a brand new bipedal kaiju. Maybe have Rodan in this film tag teaming with Godzilla to take on some new kaiju. Save King Ghidorah for the big baddie in Godzilla vs Kong.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Omegamorph wrote:the only creatures that pulled the 'forelimbs heavy' concept are the monster from 'The Host' and Otachi
I mean I did like the Cloverfield design. It swapped out large and heavy with thin and nimble with all the weight spread across the limbs which I thought was interesting for a giant monster. But it's like every Hollywood creature designer since then has taken a design course from Neville Page and I want it to stop.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tbeasley wrote: I mean I did like the Cloverfield design. It swapped out large and heavy with thin and nimble with all the weight spread across the limbs which I thought was interesting for a giant monster. But it's like every Hollywood creature designer since then has taken a design course from Neville Page and I want it to stop.
I only recall the Super 8 monster and the creatures from Cowboys vs Aliens looking like Clover. Otachi's arms were based on a bat or pterosaur, and the Muto and Skullcrawlers don't look anything like Clover.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

2004Zilla wrote:I can't be the only one who thought of this when seeing the Skullcrawlers, right?

Resized Image
Note to self, remember to use Dodongo and Donkey Kong joke in review video.

Super Smash Island.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I only recall the Super 8 monster and the creatures from Cowboys vs Aliens looking like Clover. Otachi's arms were based on a bat or pterosaur, and the Muto and Skullcrawlers don't look anything like Clover.
Super 8 was also designed by Neville Page so that would explain any similarities.
Cowboys & Aliens however is victim to another creature design fad I wish would stop - tiny secondary arms. Not only do people like to rip off Giger's Alien, Stan Winston's Queen is probably #2 on that list. You see tiny arms and large head crests a lot.

The Skull crawlers are definitely more Gwoemul/Otachi, but the MUTOs have basically the same body layout as Clover. The only real difference being the extra set of main limbs on the female, and those limbs being repurposed as wings on the male. They even have those tiny limbs near the waist!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tbeasley wrote: The Skull crawlers are definitely more Gwoemul/Otachi, but the MUTOs have basically the same body layout as Clover. The only real difference being the extra set of main limbs on the female, and those limbs being repurposed as wings on the male. They even have those tiny limbs near the waist!
I disagree. Clover's arms are splayed out like that of a lizard, while the Mutos walk with their arms held straight beneath their bodies, like a mammal or dinosaur. Clover's body is also usually held vertically or near-vertically, causing his hind legs to be shorter and bent in an awkward position, compared to the Muto's equally straight rear legs. And that's not even getting into the anatomical differences of their feet, hands/claws, skulls, body, and tails.

I'll give you the mini-arms, though. That seems to be pretty common lately. At least the Mutos used theirs to manipulate objects, so they're kind of justified – I don't think the Pacific Rim kaiju EVER used their shorter arms.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

The skullcrawlers sort of remind me of that picture used for SCP-682 (actually a decaying whale carcass on a Russian beach):

Then again, thein skulls look less whale-like and more like that of a lizard, as gerd noted.

I do wonder where they "fit" in the ecosystem of skull island - as others have said, they look markedly different from the other creatures. Maybe they're holdovers from Godzilla's time or something.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Upon re-watching the part of the trailer you can see the glowing part of the skullcrawler, I had to ask: do you think that they would be more likely to have Godzilla-esque atomic breath, or something electric as a nod to King Kong vs Godzilla?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587