'Wishlists,' for the Legend-verse of Godzilla

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: 'Wishlists,' for the Legend-verse of Godzilla

Post by Pkmatrix »

Underworld54 wrote:We'll never see even close to that many movies, and what's with the phases? This isn't Marvel.
This isn't Marvel, but Disney's MCU has pretty much defined the language of modern Cinematic Universes and - whether we like it or not - Legendary has made it clear that they intend the Godzilla and Kong films to represent their own Cinematic Universe. It's not much of a stretch to imagine Legendary thinking in longer terms and beyond Godzilla vs. Kong behind the scenes, even if that's all they've announced.

As I've pointed out in other threads, from the Studio POV all a "Cinematic Universe" is is just an umbrella label that lets studios tie multiple franchises together under a single brand (Disney's MCU = Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Avengers Franchises; Warner Brothers' DCEU = Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Suicide Squad Franchises; etc.). In this case, the CU is much smaller and only corrals two franchises: Godzilla and Kong. Comparing this with the MCU (for obvious reasons), that would make Godzilla vs. Kong equivalent to Disney's The Avengers.

Personally, I think this basic misunderstanding is kinda why some of these wish lists sometimes feel so...indulgent, honestly. People are just imagining what they want and that's fine, but Legendary is thinking much smaller than the fans are. Like, IF we get a spin-off movie it'll be ONE movie. (And that assumes, of course, that this CU continues past Godzilla vs. Kong - while I believe it will, that's hardly set in stone.)

IMO, having such a small and focused CU is actually a good thing: Legendary has FAR fewer balls to juggle here than Disney or Warner Brothers or Universal do. It's a pretty simple pattern at this point: Godzilla Movie, Kong Movie, Godzilla Movie, CROSSOVER - Rinse and Repeat. Hell, a Phase 2 wouldn't even NEED to do that, it could just be a second trilogy of Godzilla Movie/Kong Movie/CROSSOVER without that extra movie at all. The Spin-Off is something I think we all want, but isn't necessary - that's just an attempt to add a third franchise to the brand, but isn't really THAT important since the brand IS Godzilla and Kong. We don't need Godzilla and Kong to break the bank, just to be profitable enough to keep going and IMO there's nothing wrong with wanting just that.

NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Post by NateZilla10000 »

I appear to be the only one who doesn't see much success for Kong after GvK happens. X)

In any case, would love to see more destruction on monster parts, but balanced well with story. If a destructive scene has to be cut to allow character or story development, do it.

Biollante (even with the human mind thing; you could do it with DNA instead of soul) and Anguirus (of course not as a main event at this point; gotta be a side guy) would be fun to see.

Definitely think they should stray away from MechaG and Aliens outside of Ghidorah (if they're going with that backstory). If they want to keep it grounded in reality, they're not gonna be able to pull off a giant robot/cyborg or an alien backstory that isn't shrouded in mystery. The instant they bring in an alien sentient race, you'll loose the general audience.

I would also love to see Mothra's worshipers, but updated. As if they lived on Skull Island, were tribal, and performed these drum dances and songs to worship Mothra (hence the use of Mothra's song, only in a more threatening manner). Heck, the Shobijin could lead the tribe (normal size of course). If done right, it could be an insanely sweet reveal of Mothra herself with the tribal chants building it up with the beat of the drums and the fast imagery.
Last edited by NateZilla10000 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

NateZilla10000 wrote: The instant they bring in an alien sentient race, you'll loose the general audience.
While I agree aliens would clash with how the LPverse is set up, I don't believe there's any reason to think audiences would react negatively to a plot development like that.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I can't help but feel like, much like the Gamera trilogy, G'14 will gain some inherent quality based on how it's connected to it's following films... in and of itself it isn't very well put together, but as a part of a whole it may end up 'better'.

GargantuaTarantula
Samurai

Post by GargantuaTarantula »

Mechagigan wrote:I can't help but feel like, much like the Gamera trilogy, G'14 will gain some inherent quality based on how it's connected to it's following films... in and of itself it isn't very well put together, but as a part of a whole it may end up 'better'.
I think it's a very good film already, but I agree that the following films could make it better.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

1. Akira Ifukube and overall Toho music homages. The soundtrack for the first film was alright, and i understand Toho gave Legendary the rights to Godzilla himself only, but since the movie performed fairly well, it'd be great if we could now hear Desplat's take on the awesome Toho scores.

2. Better human charactes, like Ichiro Serizawa, and more screentime for the monsters.

3. As many have said, grounded realism works good for an intro film, but i hope they don't stick to it too much.

4. Make Godzilla more anti-heroic. Edwards said he doesn't give a skreonk about humanity, they could take some inspiration from Kaneko's Gamera trilogy for this characterization, as well from the Heisei and Milennium Godzilla films.

5. As for kaiju, i don't really think the whole Toho menagerie will get to appear, but i really do hope Anguirus makes it in future films.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

- Classic monsters, classic monsters everywhere
- new monsters that are well designed
- great "monster themes", I'm a soundtrack person.
- psychics :shock:
- tone the realism down to semi-realistic. We've only just discovered the kaiju really in this universe, they have to break the "laws" of science somewhere.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

-Less cutaways in fight(s). The screen time is less a problem as much as it is we keep jumping around.

-Continue to make designs that fit the series and world, but also are recognizable as the monsters they're supposed to be in the case of those like Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah.

-Don't spam the beams.

-Maybe a day light fight or two.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Dracostar44
Samurai

Post by Dracostar44 »

Rodan solo
Mothra solo/spin off
Kaiju I want to see in legend films Angurius Battra Baragon Destoroyah Manda Titanosaurus and Varan
Let's not make a film too much grounded or realistic after all nobody would cheering if two monsters duke it out in their country
Guilty pleasure video games kaiju Bagan Balkzardan Barugaron Jyarumu Shiigan Vagnosaurus
Last edited by Dracostar44 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why be king when you can be God

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

ACTUAL Goddamn Cameos like Akira Takarada, Kumi Mizuno, Megumi Odaka, or hell even better, Haruo Nakajima. After all, he IS Godzilla.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:ACTUAL Goddamn Cameos like Akira Takarada, Kumi Mizuno, Megumi Odaka, or hell even better, Haruo Nakajima. After all, he IS Godzilla.
goji89 wrote:

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Thank you. :) I was INFINITE PISSED when Akira Takarada's scene wasn't in Godzilla (2014).
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Daytime fights

No human interactions in fights besides military assistance.

Solo Mothra movie

Anguirus returning at some point and having a solo movie.

Not too much beam spamming

No human cutaways mid-fight
Resized Image

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Well, if im gonna make fan-wishlist i might as well go all out.

2019: King of monsters
Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan and Godzilla.

Ghidorah is revealed to have been within the KT extinction asteroid, Godzilla and some other kaiju are awakened when ghidorah emerges.

2020: Godzilla Vs. King Kong
King Kong, Godzilla, MUTO

Due to a conflict with the military in KoM, Godzilla returns with a vengeance. The government reveals a captured Kong, and when he gets beat down, they release a MUTO which was hatched from a surviving fetus. Godzilla summons anew ability and kills them both.

Godzilla: Destroyer of Worlds
Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, Anguirus, Varan, Baragon, Manda, Gorosaurus, Skull Crawler

Godzilla, after destroying a major city, returns in burning form after absorbing radiation from Kong and the new MUTO. His rampage moves from europe to japan, and MONARCH is forced to awaken monsters to fight him.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Another wish-list of mine is if they can't manage to do remade movies of Toho classics like Dogora, War of the Gargantuas and Space Amoeba to expand the verse. Then at least do the classic 50's monster movies like Them! and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. I feel that'd have potential being added to the verse and great way to keep expanding it.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Another wish-list of mine is if they can't manage to do remade movies of Toho classics like Dogora, War of the Gargantuas and Space Amoeba to expand the verse. Then at least do the classic 50's monster movies like Them! and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. I feel that'd have potential being added to the verse and great way to keep expanding it.
Dogora would make a great horror movie.

Wishlist addition: I remember from the first Rebirth of Mothra that is was said "There were many Mothras." It'd be cool if they showed us several Mothra species ( I'm just picturing Armor Mothra vs Godzilla to be honest).
goji89 wrote:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Assuming they'll make more movies after Kong vs. Godzilla. I'd like this as a wishlist. A sequel involving a subspecies of Godzilla's kind appearing living on land rather then the ocean that then attacks a populace area due to being more violent and aggressive, maybe due to it being a dark and stormy night, people easily mistakes it for Legendary Godzilla causing armies to go after and try killing Godzilla until the other appears again.

ScrumpBump
Monarch Researcher

Post by ScrumpBump »

1. General improvement.

2. Rodan being like Showa Rodan.

3. Bitchin' use of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

1. Godzilla/Dr. Pepper promotional tie-in

That's it
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

My list after GvsKong....

1.) Rodan solo movie(2021)- max budget of $110m
2.) Kong 2(2022) - budget of $130m
4.) Godzilla 3 - $150m budget

They really need to watch the budgets going forward. If Kong Skull Island cost $190m(rumored) that's just too high.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer