LPG Sequel to be shot in China

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

LPG Sequel to be shot in China

Post by goji1986 »

http://www.thewrap.com/pacific-rim-godz ... ga-studio/

Wanda Group announced production for Pacific Rim 2 -!: LPG2 (the article just says "Legendary's 'Godzilla'") will take place at their newly built "mega studio" in China and take advantage of some massive rebates.

This doesn't mean G2 will necessarily take place in Shanghai, it's likely interior set work and such. Guess we'll have to wait and see...
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: LPG Sequel to be shot in China

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Well one step of news for Godzilla 2.... Let's hope a director a new writers will soon follow by the end of the year.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Well one step of news for Godzilla 2.... Let's hope a director a new writers will soon follow by the end of the year.
Well you've certainly missed out on a lot over the past couple of weeks....

Head on over to the G2 production crew thread
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

As Shin Godzilla ends, news on Godzilla 2 begins. Love it.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I think a 408 acre studio with the world's largest indoor sound stage qualifies as greater than just "interior set work." But then most movies shoot in more than a single location.

It is great to know that Wanda is treating its' Legendary studio that well though. PR2 and Godzilla 2 will be huge projects for Qingdao if the place opens successfully.

Added in 53 minutes 9 seconds:
Hollywood Reporter provides more details:
Qingdao Movie Metropolis will have 30 soundstages, a temp-controlled underwater stage, and the world's largest indoor stage. It is scheduled to open August 2018. LA Mayor Eric Garcetti says beginning in the spring, there will be direct flights from LA to Qingdao. + more.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ion-939003

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

TheSecondComing wrote:I think a 408 acre studio with the world's largest indoor sound stage qualifies as greater than just "interior set work." But then most movies shoot in more than a single location.
I meant that in the context of "This doesn't mean G2 will be TAKING PLACE in China." Of course they can build outdoor sets as needed, but it's no different from what they do at studios around the world. You can shoot a movie that's supposed to take place in Europe at Universal Studios thanks to their "European Set", which is a street section made to look like one you'd find across the pond.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Yup. The first Godzilla shot scenes in Canada that in the movie, took place in California. That's movie making!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

TheSecondComing wrote:I think a 408 acre studio with the world's largest indoor sound stage qualifies as greater than just "interior set work." But then most movies shoot in more than a single location.

It is great to know that Wanda is treating its' Legendary studio that well though. PR2 and Godzilla 2 will be huge projects for Qingdao if the place opens successfully.

Qingdao Movie Metropolis will have 30 soundstages, a temp-controlled underwater stage, and the world's largest indoor stage. It is scheduled to open August 2018. LA Mayor Eric Garcetti says beginning in the spring, there will be direct flights from LA to Qingdao. + more.

Wait, it opens in AUGUST of 2018? Godzilla 2 will probably be pushed back even further. Seven months (August to March) isn't enough time to film and complete all post-production work.

Or am I missing something?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

China is really taking it up a notch with their entertainment business. I know it doesn't mean Godzilla 2 will take place in China but I wouldn't mind Godzilla rampaging Hong Kong again.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Showa Gyaos wrote:

Wait, it opens in AUGUST of 2018? Godzilla 2 will probably be pushed back even further. Seven months (August to March) isn't enough time to film and complete all post-production work.

Or am I missing something?
Easy information to miss, so don't feel too bad, but it has been stated in one of these recent articles that Pacific Rim begins filming later this year, and that the site will only be COMPLETED in August of 2018, allowing for public visitation I believe.

Filming sectors of the facility are already open, but the whole thing won't be fully-developed until 2018
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I know they're just interested in presenting filming rebates for the economic benefits, but I still recoil a little whenever China becomes more involved with international film-making. Which could change in an instant if their government didn't have such a terrible relationship with challenging art.

Can't help but get bad vibes the closer their studios get to something like Godzilla though. I can only imagine the series getting even lamer and safer.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Consider it streamlining the process of Legendary making sure they have access to China's audiences. Now they won't need reshoots like 21 and Over, or major plot changes in post like Red Dawn.

I for one welcome our glorious new People's Godzilla /sarcasm
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Consider it streamlining the process of Legendary making sure they have access to China's audiences. Now they won't need reshoots like 21 and Over, or major plot changes in post like Red Dawn.

I for one welcome our glorious new People's Godzilla /s
That is legitimately kind of my fear for the future of these movies. They're boring enough when they're designed to safely appeal to American audiences, let alone America and China (and their government) at the same time.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Yeah, the need to appeal to Americans kind of hamstrung the nuclear themes of LP's first Godzilla already. It's certainly a valid concern, though I don't know how much I'd worry about it until we know more about the movie.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ghidorah in his original movie supposed to symbolize China?

Wonder how that might affect the sequel.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ghidorah in his original movie supposed to symbolize China?

Im curious, where did you learn that?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ghidorah in his original movie supposed to symbolize China?
King Ghidorah was supposed to represent Tsuburaya's dream of getting it on with a three-headed space dragon.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ghidorah in his original movie supposed to symbolize China?

Honda debunked that in an old interview.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I've heard that referenced a few times, but I've never seen any actual analysis pointing to it. Even if it were true, later appearances don't seem to really have any coherent symbolism.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

ScrumpBump
Monarch Researcher

Post by ScrumpBump »

Ghidorah is the ancient inspiration of Chinese Dragons. They mistook a down and out Ghidorah's neck for the whole dragon.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”