Kong: Skull Island Enemy Monster Speculation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Kong: Skull Island Enemy Monster Speculation

Post by BlankAccount »

For speculation of what daikaiju, if any, King Kong might fight and why.

General reasons why:

- King Kong is clearly more Toho-esque.

- This is gonna be a shared universe with Legendary Godzilla.

- Monarch, the organization charged with the study of Godzilla and MUTO, is said to have an easter egg related to them in Kong: Skull Island.

- It's possible Monarch funded the expedition to Skull Island to capture a creature and train it as a weapon to defend the humanity from other giant monsters.

- King Kong vs Godzilla is being remade in 2020 as Godzilla vs King Kong.

- Skull Island is pretty much to King Kong what Monster Island is to Godzilla. It is filled with dinosaurs, giant bugs, snakes, spiders. And even the dinosaurs are bigger than their dead counterparts. So pretty much most of the creatures in Godzilla films who lived on Monster Island can work here.

- Skull Island could be TURNED INTO Monster Island for the sequels. Guys like Gareth Edwards and Thomas Tull have shown interest in doing a Destroy All Monsters type film, so Monarch turning Skull Island into Monster Island or taking inspiration from the island to build a containment facility on another chain of islands to keep monsters conainted makes sense.

- Having King Kong fight a daikaiju would help establish early on that he is Godzilla's equal and set up for the 2020 remake, maybe King Kong is captured by Monarch and enhanced? Maybe they give him his electrical powers? It'd help explain it instead of being just randomly out of nowhere.

Specific Monsters:

Ebirah: Although not most people's first choice, Godzilla vs The Sea Monster was originally gonna be King Kong vs Ebirah.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... ebirah.htm

So having these two fight finally could be a nice nod to that. The question is, would the general audience find that to be a good fight? Or laughable? Ebriah seems pretty normal, even for a giant monster. He doesn't have any powers and other than fans, most people wouldn't realize it's a Toho monster and just think it's another random oversized animal on, or in this case, in Skull Island's waters. Then again, if people can buy a giant moth fighting Godzilla as an exciting battle, maybe Ebirah could work? If King Kong has electrical powers it could make for final hit to show the giant shrimp be cooked alive in the ocean water after almost killing King Kong. And can be killed by King Kong with out worry of outrage from fans.

Throwing boulders would make sense for both it and King Kong as it doesn't have any powers and Kong may not have powers or needs to be charged up. Also we saw Kong throws trees as darts so the boulders being thrown is a given and a funny nod to Godzilla vs The Sea Monster.

Gorosauras: Has fought King Kong before and would work on the island filled with giant dinosaurs. But runs into the same problem in that other than it's kangaroo kick ability, non G fans might mistake it for a generic oversized T-Rex or the badass V-Rex.

Mothra: An odd choice sure, but the natives of Skull Island worship King Kong as a god, so maybe they also worship Mothra, an actual goddess. Mothra could keep the native protected from Kong and other threats of the island. It'd help kill two birds with one stone, as you'd get both King Kong and Mothra's introduction out of the way in one film making a set up with Godzilla in future films easier. Mothra's abilities would make for a great visual in the final fight of the film and legit make it feel like King Kong is the underdog since he is fighting a literal deity who who defiles the laws of nature even more than just a giant monster. Like with Ebriah, King Kong could be losing but be saved by a lucky strike of lightning at the end if he has electrical powers .

Mothra can be killed and it's no biggie as she is constantly reborn since she is a goddess and moths are a symbol of death and rebirth in Japan.

Like Ebriah, Mothra was originally planned for King Kong vs Ebirah and kept in when it became Godzilla vs The Sea Monster.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... ebirah.htm

Rodan: Easily can fit on Skull Island. Just like Mothra, his ability to fly at super sonic flight, creating shock waves and hurricane winds would make for a great fight and get his introduction along with Kong's out of the way for a future Godzilla film. May or may not have an energy weapon which would help it stand out as being a Godzilla monster and not just an giant pterodactyl. Even without a Godzilla type atomic breath, it's design with the chest armor spikes, horns and ability to make shock-waves would still help him stand out as a daiakiju like Godzilla.

Can not kill or fans would be outraged.

Kumonga: Giant Spiders are on Skull Island. This is a fucking fact. Kumonga's glowing eyes, yellow strips, distinct chittering that sounds like "kill kill kill" and ability to shoot stinger barbs from it's mouth would help it stand out from other giant spiders. However, it might be too much for general audiences. If you don't believe me, you are seriously underestimating a lot of people's fear of spiders. Odds are it won't be in and the giant spider we did see in the trailer might only be a small segment of the film and not him/her/it.

Can be killed without much outrage from fans, and really a giant spider is something most people would cheer on for Kong to kill.

Kamacuras: Skull Island is infested with giant bugs, so Kamacuras would be right at home. But they are easily destroyed, so unless buffed and/or given the invisibility power of the one from GFW, they will just come off as generic giant mantis. Nothing stands out other than their glowing eyes.

Manda: An odd choice I know, but like King Kong, Manda had been worshiped as a god in it's debut film. King Kong has fought giant snakes and Manda, being a Chinese dragon, would be similar to a giant snake but it's stumpy arms/legs, and Chinese dragon whiskers and horns would help it stand out. And with CGI, it could fight very lively, snaking around Kong like how Voldo has crazy attacks in the Soul Calibur games, slithering around Kong body, wrapping around his legs to trip him up or wrap itself around him to throw him around.

Varan: Was worshiped as a god or demon or demon-god in it's debut film, and is dinosaur like. His ability to glide at super sonic speeds would make for a good fight and the wind he generates for take off would give him a mythological feel instead of just being a generic dinosaur.

Baragaon: Not likely, but it would fit on the island of dinosaur. His borrowing ability would make for a good fight, like a land shark, his glowing horn and big ears would help him stand out from the other dinosaurs, though his big floppy ears might make him too "cute" for the audience to take seriously, man eater or not.

Anguirus: Same as so many examples above, Anguirus is a big dinosaur and would easily fit on Skull Island. Not sure if his design is different enough from real dinosaurs for non fans to see that his a daikaiju and not just a generic giant dinosaur monster. His back lunge attack would pose a serious threat to King Kong, and his because of his back shells King Kong can't just jump on top of him or throw boulders at him. Like with Rodan and Mothrs, King Kong is gonna actually have to think on how to beat this monster.

Mecani-Kong: Unlikely. While a cool battle, King Kong and Godzilla have both been shown that they are vulnerable to chemical and biological weapons. A weaken Kong after a fight with another monster would be easy to be kept drugged and taken away by Monarch. No mech needed. Unless a group like Rad Baboon is in the film and are trying to kill King Kong as a test for their weapon, I guess.

Pacific Rim Kaiju: Also unlikely. though they come through portals to other realities so that's easily explained and it'd be a cool visual seeing a natural born monster of the Earth fight off a man made, unnatural alien invader from another reality, it seems like they wanna keep Kong fighting natural looking monsters in this film, even the goddess Mothra look, keyword, looks like a natural monster.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Re: Kong: Skull Island Enemy Monster Speculation

Post by master_of_monsters »

I'll take one of everything
your source of self destruction

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

master_of_monsters wrote:I'll take one of everything

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:I'll take one of everything

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I don't see Toho kaiju appearing in this movie. If that were the case I'm pretty sure we would know by this point.

I'd like to see Gaw and the Death Runners from Kong: King of Skull Island, but that's also unlikely.

I think there's a good chance the film will feature other members of Kong's species. I'd love if we had Kong facing down a rival from among his own kind.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I think that, at the very minimum, we should see fights with an assortment of different monsters, some of which being dinosaurs (that is one tradition that must not be broken!)

In the event that there is a main antagonist monster, I would be content with anything really except for just another individual from Kong's species.

Does anybody have any leaked scripts available? There were some fascinating tidbits of information further back in the general thread, but I would rather not go hunting for any of it
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Ivo-goji wrote:I don't see Toho kaiju appearing in this movie. If that were the case I'm pretty sure we would know by this point.

I'd like to see Gaw and the Death Runners from Kong: King of Skull Island, but that's also unlikely.

I think there's a good chance the film will feature other members of Kong's species. I'd love if we had Kong facing down a rival from among his own kind.
Legendary could go the same route they did with the Mutos, just make an original monster for King Kong to fight. Or hell just reuse a Muto.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Considering that there's a giant arachnid in the trailer, my bet is on Kumonga and one dinosaur kaiju. Either gorosaurus or an original beast.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

If anything I think this movie is the perfect place to introduce Rodan. It doesn't even necessarily have to be a fight between Kong and Rodan (as cool as that would be), but a small cameo like Rodan preying on smaller giants or even just a glimpse of Rodan flying in the skies at any point in the movie would be great. It would make setting up Godzilla 2 much easier with one less character to introduce in the universe.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Any more ideas for original monsters?

Based on one of the giant skeletons, I for one think he could stumble across a giant Ceratopsian in heat who tries to take its pent up rage against Kong, only to suffer the consequences. In the water, he could come face to face with a bunch of giant Piranha-type fish.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gorosaurus or GTFO.

It being just a large Dino, without any super distinguishing features makes it more likely to appear. They can literally just make a Dino have a kangaroo kick, slap Gorosaurus's name on it and Id be happy.

Similar reasoning for monsters like Kamacuras or Kumonga. I don't need them to be super accurate, just a little fan service would be nice.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

^Legendary would require the rights to those characters in order to slap TOHO-generated names on their creatures.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote:Any more ideas for original monsters?

Based on one of the giant skeletons, I for one think he could stumble across a giant Ceratopsian in heat who tries to take its pent up rage against Kong, only to suffer the consequences. In the water, he could come face to face with a bunch of giant Piranha-type fish.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Living Corpse wrote:Throwing boulders

:)
Godzilla

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

g2vd wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Throwing boulders

:)
its not very effective...

Dracostar44
Samurai

Post by Dracostar44 »

I can see Kong fighting either a rival of his species or the Vastatosaurus Rex but I would be hype if the film surpise me with a toho kaiju show up
Why be king when you can be God

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

what if there was something similar to ambulocetus for the river monster

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

BAGAN!
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:BAGAN!
NO! Are u mad?! Kong isn't READY for Bagan! Hell Godzilla himself isn't ready for Bagan! No one is ready for Bagan!
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor