Who should take Edwards' place as director?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Who should take Edwards' place as director?

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Ryguy wrote:Dude, the general audience is pretty much the most unreasonably-minded pool of individuals that could have ever walked this planet.

They shit on Transformers, Grown Ups, DCEU movies, and Dreamworks animated works yet still pay hundreds of millions, sometimes billions, to see them even when they can foresee prematurely that they'll be garbage.
You don't need to shit on people because they prefer Transformers over Godzilla. :lol:
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

You, Underworld, and Tyrant_Lizard_King should organize a Godzilla 2014 hate cult...
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Ryguy wrote:You, Underworld, and Tyrant_Lizard_King should organize a Godzilla 2014 hate cult...
Hahahaha, what? I think you're taking some of the criticism towards the movie a little too personally.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Hey there's other Godzilla films I dislike more. Still I have plenty of hope for the rest of the franchise. Already really liking where Skull Island seems to be going.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Ryguy wrote:You, Underworld, and Tyrant_Lizard_King should organize a Godzilla 2014 hate cult...
To clarify, I don't hate the movie. I can watch it and enjoy myself. But I would be a liar if I were to say that the movie didn't have glaring flaws.

Get these things I mentioned fixed, and it'll get people talking. That's really all they need to do. It's not easy to get all of them right, but it can be done.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I don't think we'll be seeing any truly big-name directors take this on so we can forget about Peter Jackson (King Kong), Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim), etc.

I like Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) but he's too busy with the Planet of the Apes films. Maybe Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane)?

I could also see Jordan Vogt-Roberts make the jump from Kong: Skull Island to Godzilla 2/Godzilla vs. Kong if he makes Legendary happy.

Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes, Colossal) would be cool too but after that lawsuit with Toho...

I don't know, as long as it's not someone like Brad Peyton (San Andreas, Rampage), I'll be happy.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

There are definitely some big time flame-baiters on this board, I agree with the first two, but I don't think Tyrant_Lizard_King is one of them. It's true that him and I disagree with things about G14, but at least he doesn't act like a buffoon on here and has logical arguments and reasons as to why he dislikes the film and he doesn't post just to irritate.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I'm a bit more vocal than some but I try my best not to annoy too much. Like I said I'm pretty damn excited about Skull Island and still hold out hope for Godzilla 2. Skull Island is already looking like a vast improvement to me.

I'm still holding out on the idea that LP is waiting on KSI to come out before announcing a director for G2. I really believe they intend on going for Roberts as long as Skull Island is a hit. Also wouldn't be surprised if they are looking for a bigger name to helm the crossover. I personally wouldn't leave something like that in the hands of a relative nobody.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Oh I'm sorry for not ignoring the major flaws and not joining in on the "It's Godzilla, it must be good" mentality.

Added in 2 minutes 16 seconds:
Showa Gyaos wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote: This. I had problems with this. If they had characters I gave a skreeonk about, I would have enjoyed it more than I did initially.
To the day out of 29 films I can count the number of human characters I care for in Godzilla films on my hands. G14's problem was no Hawaii fight.
Godzilla's problem was a lack of Godzilla, with enemy monsters taking the spot light, unnecessary cut-aways, and bland acting that was intended to turn a blockbuster into an "arthouse" film.

Granted, it renewed interest in the franchise. Such trickery worked the first time. However, it will not work a second time. If they cut away from the action or try to placate audiences with flatly written characters, people won't see the sequel.
You're correct, they best not try that again.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld do you like G14 or not because sometimes I think it depends on what day it is for you?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

miguelnuva wrote:Underworld do you like G14 or not because sometimes I think it depends on what day it is for you?
I said the other day, it's 25% love, 25% hate, and 50% meh!

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Did I ever claim that you couldn't criticize the movie at all? I understand a lot of your complaints, and I do agree that they are valid critiques, but your devotion to hating on it and Gareth Edwards' direction is almost paranormal

Forgetting that, if you've been following along in the Godzilla 2 Production Crew thread, you might have already taken note of the sudden ramping-up of production status with five new hires well within a month (oh, and some of these have been confirmed too). I can almost guarantee that a director has signed-on by this point, even if they aren't announced for months to come
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I could very well be wrong about Roberts but he is the most likely contender at this point. He's the only director still connected with the franchise, as far as we know anyway. There haven't even been wispers of another director.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

There hasn't been any discussion because Legendary separates itself from rumors. They just get it done and hire people.

Plus, as it stands now, we're still 2.5 years away, though the recent crew entries could signify a release change to late 2018

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Ryguy wrote:There hasn't been any discussion because Legendary separates itself from rumors. They just get it done and hire people.

Plus, as it stands now, we're still 2.5 years away, though the recent crew entries could signify a release change to late 2018
They're not going to move it back down.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Not to June 2018, that's for sure.

Later in 2018, now that's a possibility.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Ryguy wrote:Not to June 2018, that's for sure.

It isn't happening, period. They have no reason to. 2018 is already loaded with movies. They could perhaps move it around during the 2019 timeline, but odds are they won't even do that.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
Ryguy wrote:Not to June 2018, that's for sure.

It isn't happening, period. They have no reason to. 2018 is already loaded with movies. They could perhaps move it around during the 2019 timeline, but odds are they won't even do that.
You're right they won't, they'll stay right around where they are.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

March 2019 is the safest place for this, I wish they would movie Godzilla vs Kong to March 2020.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I am by no means asserting any claims that they SHOULD be upgrading to a 2018 release, but hear me out for a moment.

5 hires within 20 days? While there does remain the undefined likelihood of some fucker tampering with the entries, assume for a second that they are all legitimate. Such a sudden influx of talents is peculiar. Such action is usually indicative of pre-production beginning.