Gareth Edwards Interview, Explains Why He Left (New)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Gareth Edwards Steps Out As Director

Post by Underworld54 »

miguelnuva wrote:The rumors are false. Entertainment Weekly just released an article in their magazine with the truth.
When was this?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:The rumors are false. Entertainment Weekly just released an article in their magazine with the truth.
When was this?
Go look for the latest EW magazine in store.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Rumors always begin somewhere. So where did they begin?

I do believe it has been confirmed that at least a few reshoots are going-on
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Watch Rogue One suck harder than the first two prequel movies :lol:
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ryguy wrote:Rumors always begin somewhere. So where did they begin?

I do believe it has been confirmed that at least a few reshoots are going-on
The reshoots are true but page six made them far worse then what they are.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
When was this?
Unless it came out in stores a few hours ago then it's irrelevant, this latest news came down tonight.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Well if they were serious about 40% requiring touching-up, that is not exactly a positive: that is just shy of half the film, and with half-a-year remaining....
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Underworld54 wrote: When was this?
Unless it came out in stores a few hours ago then it's irrelevant, this latest news came down tonight.
The latest news is wrong. You can't film 50% of a movie in 8 weeks starting in August and have it ready to release in December.
Ryguy wrote:Well if they were serious about 40% requiring touching-up, that is not exactly a positive: that is just shy of half the film, and with half-a-year remaining....
Its not 40% of the film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:The latest news is wrong. You can't film 50% of a movie in 8 weeks starting in August and have it ready to release in December.
I don't mean this as a comment on the specific rumors about this movie, but in general, yeah, you totally can. It's not the norm on studio productions, particularly ones with huge budgets and heavy spfx requirements, but it is absolutely possible.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
The latest news is wrong. You can't film 50% of a movie in 8 weeks starting in August and have it ready to release in December.
Ryguy wrote:Well if they were serious about 40% requiring touching-up, that is not exactly a positive: that is just shy of half the film, and with half-a-year remaining....
Its not 40% of the film.
Where there's smoke there's fire...remember that.

Added in 12 minutes 10 seconds:
Gareth Edwards is “livid” as Disney is trying to make the film more family friendly so that they can ensure a bigger box office haul.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Underworld54 wrote: Unless it came out in stores a few hours ago then it's irrelevant, this latest news came down tonight.
Its not 40% of the film.
Where there's smoke there's fire...remember that.

Added in 12 minutes 10 seconds:
Gareth Edwards is “livid” as Disney is trying to make the film more family friendly so that they can ensure a bigger box office haul.
And where are Gareth's comments saying he is livid.
eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:The latest news is wrong. You can't film 50% of a movie in 8 weeks starting in August and have it ready to release in December.
I don't mean this as a comment on the specific rumors about this movie, but in general, yeah, you totally can. It's not the norm on studio productions, particularly ones with huge budgets and heavy spfx requirements, but it is absolutely possible.
Disney said that can't film Rouge One and edit it in 8 weeks starting in August and have it ready for December.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Disney said that can't film Rouge One and edit it in 8 weeks starting in August and have it ready for December.
What they would mean by a statement like that is, "Were we to turn it around that quickly, it would almost certainly fall short of the level of quality we're aiming for," not, "It is literally impossible to turn the project around that quickly."

They could do it, but the results would almost certainly be terrible, so in all probability they will not do it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Most of the rumors are honestly not mutually exclusive. The big effects sequences and battle stuff is all mostly finished, and by all accounts what's being changed is mostly "cockpit" scenes and dialogue, which can still retain a shift from a darker to a more family-friendly film, but shouldn't require the extensive amount of editing often being assumed, as it's mostly character stuff, some of which will probably end up on the cutting room floor anyhow. I think we need to chill.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It sounds like it's not necessarily Edwards fault, but Disney changing their mind on the tone.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

"It was at this moment that Gareth Edwards knew he fucked up."

In all seriousness, he should have kept his loyalty to Legendary. They wanted him, the fanbase wanted him, his first large-scale feature film was a hit, and the sequel is in good standing. And now Disney is being persnickety, with unecessary tension present.

In retrospect, remember the intense emotions of disappointment when he exited Godzilla 2? Well recall that his walk-off was purely a manifestation of his strong desire to concentrate more severely on smaller films more like what we witnessed with Monsters (and flat-out fatigue in addition), and there was actually fine chemistry between he and the production companies.

I really don't care that much about Star Wars, so this news doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Really, that's probably what Edwards is thinking right now... Staying with LP I mean. G2 could have been out this summer. Crazy thinking about it.

Is there really a quote saying "that's when Edwards knew he fe'd up"?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

No, lol

I bolstered it from this Vine trend that was popular a couple years back:

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Ryguy wrote:"It was at this moment that Gareth Edwards knew he skreeonked up."

In all seriousness, he should have kept his loyalty to Legendary. They wanted him, the fanbase wanted him, his first large-scale feature film was a hit, and the sequel is in good standing.
As big of a Star Wars fan that he is, there's no way I could blame him for taking the job
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Chris55 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:"It was at this moment that Gareth Edwards knew he skreeonked up."

In all seriousness, he should have kept his loyalty to Legendary. They wanted him, the fanbase wanted him, his first large-scale feature film was a hit, and the sequel is in good standing.
As big of a Star Wars fan that he is, there's no way I could blame him for taking the job

Precisely. That's the kind of job that'll keep him paid for a very long time. Royalties and whatnot, probably depending on how his deal was negotiated. Frustration with Disney's management seems to be the real issue here. He had an artistic vision of how to tell his story, and what we're hearing is that reshoots are happening to tweak it and inject more light-hearted stuff into the war movie he made. I don't blame him one single bit for backing out of Godzilla 2 and wish him luck in the future.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Gareth Edwards Explains Why He Left (New)

Post by g2vd »

Godzilla