Godzilla 2 delayed to 2019, Godzilla vs Kong dated

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 2 delayed to 2019, Godzilla vs Kong dated

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Well this sucks. Hopefully Gareth will change it back to June 8th.
Huan_of_Valinor wrote:"Elsewhere, Warners has penciled in Dec. 25, 2018, for an as-yet untitled event film"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... lma-892587

interesting, is it a DCCU film, or part of the Godzilla CU? or something else entirely?

overall this news sucks, but what you gonna do?
How Gabara stole Christmas comfirmed!!!
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

neo kaijubait
Samurai

Post by neo kaijubait »

Apparently, Pacific Rim 2 now has a December 31, 2018 release date. So there's something for 2018...

Well, the very last day of 2018, but what're ya gonna do?

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well this sucks. Hopefully Gareth will change it back to June 8th.
Gareth won't have a say in the release date. The studio calls the shots for those matters.

Also, June 8th was incredibly dangerous, and it's already been mentioned why.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

I say just ditch the summer release time frames and just go with a holiday release.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm fine with the delay, we already had a long time to wait. The fact that KKVG got a solid release date though is good news and indicates Godzilla 2 isn't in any sort of jeporady. Actually this is kind of good because it increases the chances of Toho wanting to make Shin Gojira sequels. Or at least leaves less confliction. 5 years is still a bit long for a sequel though, hopefully people will still be interested and thankfully Kong will cushion the blow.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld54 wrote:An American Rodan film is never going to happen. It would flop so excruciatingly hard.
Yep just like the American Godzilla vs Kong remake.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:An American Rodan film is never going to happen. It would flop so excruciatingly hard.
Or a kaiju cinematic universe.

Or Godzilla in Hell.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

miguelnuva wrote:
That's a little different, no?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Maybe, but if the Rodan film would be a different style with a budget of only 100m and made 350-400m worldwide, it would be considered a success. A gamble, but if WB wants to expand this universe even more they'll have to take a gamble at dome point. A November or December 2018 release would give it a shot...this is only if they got the ball moving now though. Something between Skull Island and G2 would be amazing.... A movie with a different kaiju style that wouldn't cost as much as the others.

The gap between Skull Island and G2 just seems odd. I know its only 2 years, but its 3 years from G14 to Skull Island.. Then another 2 year wait for G2. Once G2 is happening GvsKong will be right around the corner. Would just be nice to have another standalone film(even August 2018) to fill in the gap. I know its not the DCEU or Marvel, but there's opportunity, and you have the rights to these iconic kaiju...use them!
Last edited by Cookson on Wed May 11, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Yeah...totally different.

Well, good decision to push it back a bit. Bring in more time for the film to be made, more potential bucks too.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

neo kaijubait wrote:Apparently, Pacific Rim 2 now has a December 31, 2018 release date. So there's something for 2018...

What? Where did you hear this?

I still think it would've worked perfectly if Godzilla 2 was released in Summer of 2018 while Jurassic World 2 would come in 2019
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

M.U.T.O. wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Well, good decision to push it back a bit. Bring in more time for the film to be made, more potential bucks too.
It'll make its most potential in this new slot. Too much competition and overseas competition that summer.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Nooe, people said for years it was never going to happen. For all we know Rodan could still the show in G2 like he did in GTTHM.
M.U.T.O. wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
No difference.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

neo kaijubait
Samurai

Post by neo kaijubait »

Ryguy wrote:
neo kaijubait wrote:Apparently, Pacific Rim 2 now has a December 31, 2018 release date. So there's something for 2018...

What? Where did you hear this?
http://www.comingsoon.net/movie/pacific-rim-2-2018

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/6 ... 2#/slide/1

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Soooooo, according to current reports, Pacific Rim 2 is being released in the (sorta) same year it was originally supposed to be released?

ProfessorBeats
GPN Volunteer

Post by ProfessorBeats »

At least WB is taking care not to just toss out these releases on any old date and without proper prep time. I keep thinking about how WB owns DC Comics - so if they make a bad Batman vs Superman film, while it's embarrassing, they can theoretically keep lobbing out sequels, reboots and whatever else for as long as they want at cost. With Godzilla, they have had to buy the rights from another studio INDIVIDUALLY for each character involved - Godzilla, Kong, Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan - so if they didn't get this off the ground/pull it off, all of that effort in negotiation would go down the toilet. I'm pretty confident it'll all be okay. Come next March, we'll be halfway to the culmination of this thing!
Agent of Seatopia

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

I saw this coming as soon as we learned Godzilla would be going up against Transformers and Jurassic World 2.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

An American Rodan movie is a different ball park entirely to GvKK. Well for one Kong and Godzilla are iconic movie characters and are household names. Rodan, on the other hand, is not iconic to general public and is more of a "cult" character that only nerds and such know of. If you went up to someone in the streets and asked if Godzilla could beat Rodan they'd most likely reply with "who the fuck is Rodan?". Secondly, Godzilla vs King Kong is a ,well, decently big crossover between two world famous characters; a big budget remake at that! A Hollywood movie about some giant pterodactyl that no one knows? Flop. Might be good for us, but flop.

On the topic of this delay, this REALLY does NOT surprise me. I think they have a wee bit too much on their plate right now with Skull Island, DCU, Pacific Rim 2 (that's still a thing?), etc. But to be honest, I'm not really that disappointed either. I didn't feel that excited for this because it felt so far away and Kaiju stuff has been at the back of my mind recently.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rodan might flop or he could steal the show and people would want a Rodan film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

2004Zilla wrote:Soooooo, according to current reports, Pacific Rim 2 is being released in the (sorta) same year it was originally supposed to be released?

So far I've only seen Coming Soon make that claim. It more or less fits as the "untitled event film" mentioned in other reports, but so far CS have been the only ones bold enough to say it outright. Let's keep waiting and see.