Current view on Gareth Edwards

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

View on Edwards

In Gareth We Trust
19%
I think he's really good
31%
He has good potential
33%
He's OK, I'll give him some credit
4%
I don't like him, but I'll give him one more chance
4%
I really don't like him
2%
Please change directors
8%

Total votes: 52

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Re: Current view on Gareth Edwards

Post by Chris55 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The point still would stand that G14 is a generic blockbuster that shouldn't be critically acclaimed as an artistic endeavor.

Again I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't see it as anything then what it is, a fun monster romp that shouldn't be viewed as a directorial masterpiece.
It's all subjective isn't it?
Your point?
Huh. Thought it was pretty clear.

Ok well, to further explain is that what you find to be a "generic blockbuster" can be seen as an artistic endeavor if the viewer sees it that way. It all varies depending on the interpretation of each audience member.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Gareth Edward's likes making War movies, it was evident in Godzilla and so far seems very evident in Rogue One (which works better due to lack of Jedi) and minimal role by Darth Vader as rumored.

I didn't like how Gareth Edwards ALWAYS tried to show Godzilla from the human point of view. I just don't think he is the best one to handle Godzilla 2 but i'll be willing to give him ONE and ONLY ONE more chance to deliver a good Godzilla movie.

Max B script was shit, but we also don't know just how much was actually his due to to many cooks being in the kitchen with that script.

What they need to get through there head is this is NOT military human drama movie, this is a monster movie... When i pay 14$ it's not for 1 hour 45 min of humans 15 of Godzilla. An obviously neither did the rest of the general audience.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Another "how I feel about this movie" thread?
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

ScootaVaran wrote:Another "how I feel about this movie" thread?
More of a "how I feel about the director" thread

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

Sometimes I think G '14's like Splatoon. The people that do and don't like it have to mark the same territory as much as they can.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Gojira18 wrote:
It's all the same now.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

As of now I'm indifferent to him. He doesn't really have a style that pops out as great or terrible. And as a result, while I enjoyed G14, it doesn't pop out to me like it really could've.

Hopefully Gareth gets things more interesting and exciting the next movie, then my opinion will change on him.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

ScootaVaran wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
It's all the same now.
That's not true, there's the General Discussion thread, the User Review thread, the two Godzilla or Pacific Rim? threads, the One-Year later thread, the things you liked about G' 14 thread, the things you didn't like about G '14 thread, all with a rich diversity of opinion on this one film's...yeah, nvm, I see what you mean.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G14 is about as generic a Godzilla film as you can get. I was hoping something that what would break the mold. G14 ended up being just another throwaway Godzilla film. I want something like what Empire Strikes Back to for sci-fi movies or what The Dark Knight did for super hero films. I'm just not sure Gareth has it in him. At least not from what I've seen of him recently. Though Im curious what with Rogue probably being a more action oriented affair. G14 almost seemed afraid to show much action. If he can take what he learns from SW and applies that to Godzilla 2 he may actually have something. Don't hurt Rogue probably has a better screenwriter attached to the project. Also just drop the more dramatic sentimental stuff, which Gareth isn't very good at, and just make it fun. The few brief bits of excitement in G14 was simply not enough to make up for its long stretches of boredom.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Garth is a good technical and visual director but not a good director of his actors. Monsters suffered because of this and so did Godzilla 2014, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rogue One suffered as well.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Though I doubt Rogue will be as straight up dead serious as Monsters or G14. I'm curious to see what Gareth can do when he just tries to have fun with something.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Underworld54 wrote:Garth is a good technical and visual director but not a good director of his actors. Monsters suffered because of this and so did Godzilla 2014, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rogue One suffered as well.
I respectfully disagree. I think he's a good director overall, and he has good intentions, he just needs some better writers.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Chris55 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
Wait, you think Gareth directed Jurassic World?
No I don't. I'm saying that stylistically Jurassic world and G14 were very similar despite having different directors. In other words I'm saying that I'm convinced that Legendady had a ton of oversight on G14 than people give credit for and its not an auteur film.
Legendary wasn't very involved with JW aside from $.
They weren't involved at all aside from the $, contraty to what Tull wants people think.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I would fully agree a military angle was not the right choice for a compelling human storyline and that probably soured audiences more than anything else, I thought.

I had previously assumed Edwards was restricted for budgetary reasons, which made it seem justified, but if he just made a creative choice to withhold Godzilla, he kind of fucked us over and my opinion of the film is significantly lowered.
Last edited by JVM on Mon May 02, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Underworld54 wrote:Garth is a good technical and visual director but not a good director of his actors.
So someone like a modern George Lucas or a Zack Snyder?

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

JVM wrote: I highly doubt Warner Bros. gave Edwards the kind of financial and creative freedom to give us an hour of CGI Godzilla vs. MUTO screentime and he just skreeonked us over by only including fifteen minutes. Warner Bros. is not the kind of movie studio that freely hemorrhages money, like Disney, and when they give people creative freedom, it's usually a director they have trusted for several years, not some new kid on the block.
The Godzilla/Kong movies are all Legendary movies with WB distributing. Legendary pays for a bulk of the movie so they can call the shots.

As far as the monster screentime goes, it was more of Gareth's story telling choice (although there's alternate/extended shots etc which cost $$$ to do and were cut out) but I think that for Godzilla 2 etc, it's not a choice that can be repeated. Especially when they paid for KG, Rodan, and Mothra. You don't cut away from THAT! :)
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

I obviously voted to boot him off. Edwards' style seems to very one of elongated dullness. While I think Monsters was ok (and had an excuse to be conservative with it's monsters' screentime given it's microscopic bidget), it completely lacked anything memorable. G'14 was a more important movie to me personally, so I naturally remember more of it, but it overall still suffers from the same problem. If you didn't care one way or the other about Godzilla, and you saw this movie for the first time, the only thing you'd remember a week later was that it kept cutting away from the monster action, and that was a stylistic choice made primarily on his part. While I'm sure he'll listen to some criticism about character development and all that, his particular style is obvious, and it lacks both substance and entertainment value. It's not dark or graphic enough to be gut wrenching, it's not fast enough or colorful enough to be fun, it's not well thought out enough to be thought provoking or gripping... It's just slow and boring, and I think that's the worst sin a movie can make. I'd rather watch a fun disaster like Godzilla Vs. Megalon than a snoozefest like G'14.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Mr. Xeno wrote:I obviously voted to boot him off. Edwards' style seems to very one of elongated dullness. While I think Monsters was ok (and had an excuse to be conservative with it's monsters' screentime given it's microscopic bidget), it completely lacked anything memorable. G'14 was a more important movie to me personally, so I naturally remember more of it, but it overall still suffers from the same problem. If you didn't care one way or the other about Godzilla, and you saw this movie for the first time, the only thing you'd remember a week later was that it kept cutting away from the monster action, and that was a stylistic choice made primarily on his part. While I'm sure he'll listen to some criticism about character development and all that, his particular style is obvious, and it lacks both substance and entertainment value. It's not dark or graphic enough to be gut wrenching, it's not fast enough or colorful enough to be fun, it's not well thought out enough to be thought provoking or gripping... It's just slow and boring, and I think that's the worst sin a movie can make. I'd rather watch a fun disaster like Godzilla Vs. Megalon than a snoozefest like G'14.
Yeah I agree up to a point. I didn't think it was a total snoozefest as the first and third acts kept my attention, but the second act bored the crap out of me. I'm willing to give him one more shot and I hope he listens to the criticisms and nixes the teasing/cutaway crap and gives more interesting characters. Like I've said many times, if he repeats these mistakes this franchise/universe will die a nasty death and we will not get Godzilla vs Kong or any other kaiju films that were supposed to be coming down the pike.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

He's one of the best directors working today.

Great visuals and a true understanding of cinema as a visual medium.

How to make landscape and deliberate pacing engrossing to the viewer. Sort of like a Terrence Malick of Giant Monster Movies. I think that's the best way I can put it.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote: I highly doubt Warner Bros. gave Edwards the kind of financial and creative freedom to give us an hour of CGI Godzilla vs. MUTO screentime and he just skreeonked us over by only including fifteen minutes. Warner Bros. is not the kind of movie studio that freely hemorrhages money, like Disney, and when they give people creative freedom, it's usually a director they have trusted for several years, not some new kid on the block.
The Godzilla/Kong movies are all Legendary movies with WB distributing. Legendary pays for a bulk of the movie so they can call the shots.

As far as the monster screentime goes, it was more of Gareth's story telling choice (although there's alternate/extended shots etc which cost $$$ to do and were cut out) but I think that for Godzilla 2 etc, it's not a choice that can be repeated. Especially when they paid for KG, Rodan, and Mothra. You don't cut away from THAT! :)
What? Really?

Well, fuck. I take it all back then. I can't fathom any creative reason why such a stupid decision would occur.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.