Current view on Gareth Edwards

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

View on Edwards

In Gareth We Trust
19%
I think he's really good
31%
He has good potential
33%
He's OK, I'll give him some credit
4%
I don't like him, but I'll give him one more chance
4%
I really don't like him
2%
Please change directors
8%

Total votes: 52

MireGojira
Monsterland Worker

Re: Current view on Gareth Edwards

Post by MireGojira »

fred25_ca wrote:Man, I'm super bummed we lost so much time waiting for Edwards for nothing but this much hate, really? He's only human and sometime stuff don't turn out the way we figured they would. No need to hate him for it, he did a great job bringing back Godzilla and if it wasn't for him we might not be getting this many Kaiju movies right now (Shin Gojira, Skull Island, G2, KKVSG), geez.
But what if it fell I to the wrong hands? That is reason to hate him. If the sequel flops, the blame should fall on Gareth for leaving it. That depends on who directs it, and if it fails. besides, you made a good point that all this wait for nothing, which I do believe he should apologies for.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

MireGojira wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:Man, I'm super bummed we lost so much time waiting for Edwards for nothing but this much hate, really? He's only human and sometime stuff don't turn out the way we figured they would. No need to hate him for it, he did a great job bringing back Godzilla and if it wasn't for him we might not be getting this many Kaiju movies right now (Shin Gojira, Skull Island, G2, KKVSG), geez.
But what if it fell I to the wrong hands? That is reason to hate him. If the sequel flops, the blame should fall on Gareth for leaving it. That depends on who directs it, and if it fails. besides, you made a good point that all this wait for nothing, which I do believe he should apologies for.
Gareth is not your slave.
Godzilla

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

MireGojira wrote:
You can only wait and see what happens now, honestly. You can't be all mad because then you'll just be negative in life in general for a LONG time, because we got a long way to go till G2 happens. Just got to hope it DOES fall into the right hands and hope Tull, Borenstein etc. keep everything nicely glued.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

MireGojira
Monsterland Worker

Post by MireGojira »

Cookson wrote:
MireGojira wrote:
You can only wait and see what happens now, honestly. You can't be all mad because then you'll just be negative in life in general for a LONG time, because we got a long way to go till G2 happens. Just got to hope it DOES fall into the right hands and hope Tull, Borenstein etc. keep everything nicely glued.
You can't get all your hopes up, because there is a possibility of someone ruining it. If if that happens, blame will fall on not only on the director, but on Gareth too, because he was the one who started this mess. Perhaps if they found a director who could be a substitute before this happen, then this wouldn't happen. Sadly, that is not to be.

Call it complaining, but I am bracing myself for the worst.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Since Edwards' isn't involved in Godzilla 2 at all, he would deserve 0% of the blame if it winds up sucking.

Nobody blames Tim Story for Fant4stic, nobody blames Christopher Nolan for BVS, even nobody blames Masaaki Tezuka for Godzilla: Final Wars.

You guys are bratty and ridiculous.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

TheSecondComing wrote:Since Edwards' isn't involved in Godzilla 2 at all, he would deserve 0% of the blame if it winds up sucking.

Nobody blames Tim Story for Fant4stic, nobody blames Christopher Nolan for BVS, even nobody blames Masaaki Tezuka for Godzilla: Final Wars.

I concur.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

phaz0ngoji
Interpol Agent

Post by phaz0ngoji »

TheSecondComing wrote:Since Edwards' isn't involved in Godzilla 2 at all, he would deserve 0% of the blame if it winds up sucking.

Thank you. Someone here has to say it how it is.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

I give this a big ol' thumbs up.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Why would you say you guys when there is only one person complain about blaming Edwards.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

My current view on Gareth is he's a nice guy who screwed the franchise over by walking away this late in the game. I wish him well but I won't support another of his films financially.

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
MireGojira wrote:
You can't blame someone who didn't have their hand in creating a film. You can say however that if Godzilla 2 happens and it sucks that Edwards has the track record of giving us at least 1 mediocre Godzilla film and that the sequel in his hands probably wouldn't be less than mediocre.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

MireGojira
Monsterland Worker

Post by MireGojira »

miguelnuva wrote:

Why would you say you guys when there is only one person complain about blaming Edwards.
Why do you continue to upset me? You never see me mocking you for what you say? Can you honestly blame me for my great fear of this film falling into the hands of another Emmerich? I don't see anyone here upsetting each other for what they said. Yet you continue to mock me with name calling and accusing me with Godzilla being ruined by raids again which is far from the truth.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MireGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Why do you continue to upset me? You never see me mocking you for what you say? Can you honestly blame me for my great fear of this film falling into the hands of another Emmerich? I don't see anyone here upsetting each other for what they said. Yet you continue to mock me with name calling and accusing me with Godzilla being ruined by raids again which is far from the truth.
I'm not mocking you I'm stating facts. Raids again one of the worst Godzilla films followed Gojira one of the best films.

I'm also stating a fact that you are so far the only one I see blaming Edwards for a potentially bad film that could be good that he had nothing to do with.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MireGojira
Monsterland Worker

Post by MireGojira »

miguelnuva wrote:
MireGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
I'm not mocking you I'm stating facts. Raids again one of the worst Godzilla films followed Gojira one of the best films.

I'm also stating a fact that you are so far the only one I see blaming Edwards for a potentially bad film that could be good that he had nothing to do with.
Yet it does not excuse you for name calling, you did not see me returning the favour by responding with name calling. I do not see anyone else mocking in that fashion.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MireGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
MireGojira wrote:

Yet it does not excuse you for name calling, you did not see me returning the favor by responding with name calling. I do not see anyone else mocking in that fashion.
Who is name calling?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MireGojira
Monsterland Worker

Post by MireGojira »

miguelnuva wrote:
MireGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Yet it does not excuse you for name calling, you did not see me returning the favor by responding with name calling. I do not see anyone else mocking in that fashion.
Who is name calling?
You were when you called me a troll.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MireGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
MireGojira wrote:
Who is name calling?
I said I believed you to be wither Trolling(not the same as calling you a troll) or underaged. I also told you that having your opinion wasn't why I was saying this it was because you were more or less copying and pasting all your posts despite others communicating with you. I'm still just stating facts.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MireGojira
Monsterland Worker

Post by MireGojira »

miguelnuva wrote:
MireGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Who is name calling?
I said I believed you to be wither Trolling(not the same as calling you a troll) or underaged. I also told you that having your opinion wasn't why I was saying this it was because you were more or less copying and pasting all your posts despite others communicating with you. I'm still just stating facts.
Sorry, I thought when you said I was either trolling or under aged as an insult.

Mr.Negativity
Yojimbo

Post by Mr.Negativity »

‘Rogue One’ Reshoots: Disney Attempts to Reassure Fans; Brings on Tony Gilroy to Handle Script
Gilroy previously did uncredited re-write work on director Gareth Edwards’ ‘Godzilla’.
MATT GOLDBERG wrote: Additionally, while McQuarrie isn’t involved with these reshoots, there is another collaborator coming on board. Michael Clayton writer-director Tony Gilroy “was brought aboard the project in the spring to offer notes on the first cut and write some additional material to enhance the story.” Now he’ll be writing new dialogue and also serving as second unit director. Gilroy previously did some uncredited re-write work on director Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla.

For those concerned about the tone, EW says that this will indeed be a war film. “The movie is very different than [The Force Awakens], and that’s intentional,” one source says.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Finally somebody mentions Godzilla?

"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"