Kaiju Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Cinematic Universe

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:Is it bad I actually wish that was a plot twist in the movie?
No I actually want that to happen at some point but its probably not going to.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I'm happy were getting movies through 2020, but would be absolutely thrilled if they did a "phase 2".
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

They'll run it into the dirt till it gets lame
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

So, the addition of 8 writers in the writers room to me means they're exploring ideas beyond GvsKong. I can't see GvsKong having 8 different writers at once... I'm thinking they're all the connective tissue for all future films.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cookson wrote:So, the addition of 8 writers in the writers room to me means they're exploring ideas beyond GvsKong. I can't see GvsKong having 8 different writers at once... I'm thinking they're all the connective tissue for all future films.
Agreed. I think they're definitely now looking toward a post-GvK "Phase II", and maybe one that'll be bigger in scope than Phase I. Maybe five or six films in Phase II rather than the four we've got/are getting in Phase I? I've been assuming we'd get only four (Godzilla 3, Kong 2, either Kong 3 or a spinoff, and then another capstone like GvK which I've speculated would be a take on DAM), but maybe they're being optimistic and planning for: Godzilla 3, Kong 2, Rodan spinoff, Mothra spinoff, Kong 3, Capstone? (It's hard to believe they aren't at least THINKING about at minimum a Rodan spinoff after Vogt-Roberts talked about it.)

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah, I just don't see the reason for 8 writers for one film. Godzilla 2 is obviously done.

I think a Godzilla 3 and Kong 2 would be a given. Here's the thing with a Rodan film... It definitely can't have the same budget as G14 or KSI. In fact, it would probably need a max budget of what the new Power Rangers film had, 120m.

Anyway, hiring a ton of writers is a good sign to me they're brainstorming beyond GvsKong.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Cookson wrote:Yeah, I just don't see the reason for 8 writers for one film. Godzilla 2 is obviously done.

I think a Godzilla 3 and Kong 2 would be a given. Here's the thing with a Rodan film... It definitely can't have the same budget as G14 or KSI. In fact, it would probably need a max budget of what the new Power Rangers film had, 120m.

Anyway, hiring a ton of writers is a good sign to me they're brainstorming beyond GvsKong.
Which makes it complex because I don't know that a kaiju movie can be made much cheaper than Godzilla. Maybe some, but not $100 million or so. Not in Hollywood that is.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Cookson wrote:Yeah, I just don't see the reason for 8 writers for one film. Godzilla 2 is obviously done.

Which makes it complex because I don't know that a kaiju movie can be made much cheaper than Godzilla. Maybe some, but not $100 million or so. Not in Hollywood that is.
I'm not trying to say I can do it, or if it's even possible... But the Rodan scenes would ALL have to be top notch moments. No quick or tease shots. They would all have to be worth it if we would only see him for 10-15 minutes. A movie mainly set in the sky would be pretty interesting. The military chasing Rodan in a 2 hour non stop thrill ride in the sky. Could have another Kaiju up there too... Maybe multiple 20-30 foot fly's that Rodan is trying to eat. Those fly's can also cause problems for the military.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Im just in this for the imagery honestly. Remimagining the monster verse in modern CGI!
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I think one of the current problems with the monsterverse is that there is only two major 'lines' where the universe is established. We have Kong and the Godzilla films, and that's it. part of the the reason the MCU works so well is that there is multiple lines, telling the story of the universe in different places and different films. They already had an established story before the big 'avengers' crossover.

I hope the monsterverse continues past GvKK with more films, such as Rodan, Mothra and (Wishful thinking) some more obscure monsters, leading into destroy all monsters.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

If we truly want that we need more support less fan ragem
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:I think one of the current problems with the monsterverse is that there is only two major 'lines' where the universe is established. We have Kong and the Godzilla films, and that's it. part of the the reason the MCU works so well is that there is multiple lines, telling the story of the universe in different places and different films. They already had an established story before the big 'avengers' crossover.

I hope the monsterverse continues past GvKK with more films, such as Rodan, Mothra and (Wishful thinking) some more obscure monsters, leading into destroy all monsters.
Yeah I think it's a matter of which monsters could support a movie. I think:

Rodan
Orochi
Atragon
Mothra
King Ghidorah
Gargantuas
ZF
Biollante
Hedorah
Kiryu

Not that I'm saying I think each of those work with this universe.

Maybe something like:

2021 - Mothra (adapts Battle for Earth Mothra vs Battra origin)
2022 - Kong vs Beast (from 20,000 Fathoms plus an original monster)
2023 - Godzilla vs Biollante
2023 - Atragon
2024 - Godzilla/Rodan vs Hedorah
2024 - Mothra 2 (ancient setting again, maybe typical of Mothra movies, maybe adapting a vs Bagan idea)
2025 - Zone Fighter/Kong vs Zone-original monsters
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Rodan and Gargantuas could definitely hold their own in their own movie. Going outside Godzilla is what I'm more curious about. We can potentially get Them! or Rhedosaurus in remakes where Monarch is involved in the plot. Not everything has to be Godzilla related (not that I'm complaining if it were).

Kink Kong
Ronin

Post by Kink Kong »

Mothra is definitely the most likely monster to get a solo movie after Kong and Godzilla. She has so much inherent character in her design, origin, and general concept. The Shobijin, natives, different stages of metamorphosis, and the religion/worship of Mothra are all aspects that could be explored deeply in a feature film.

Godzilla 2014: Suspenseful monster thriller
Kong Skull Island: Straight up monster mash action movie
Mothra: Fairy tale fantasy monster movie

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla and Kong as of right now are the only ones that can hold their own films. We have to wait and see who could hold a film after KOTM.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I would only be down for a Mothra or Rodan movie if the audience reception of the two is solid when G2 comes-about. Don't start biting-off more than you can chew with characters that nobody wants to see. It's like making a Slipknot solo instead of a Harley Quinn or Deadshot solo
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Mothra is the only one I can see doing it. At this point I don't even know if Rodan could bring crowds in.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Showa Gyaos wrote:Mothra is the only one I can see doing it. At this point I don't even know if Rodan could bring crowds in.
Eh, I see Rodan as more of a draw with American audiences than Mothra.

A giant pterodactyl compared a giant moth?

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Legendary Gojira wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:Mothra is the only one I can see doing it. At this point I don't even know if Rodan could bring crowds in.
Eh, I see Rodan as more of a draw with American audiences than Mothra.

A giant pterodactyl compared a giant moth?
Mothra has a bigger name than Rodan in the United States. So many spoofs in pop culture. She's the most recognizable monster next to Godzilla. It would definitely be an easier sell.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm leaning more towards Rodan since I'm still way too in love with the Top Gun/Rodan vs. Megaguirius movie.
Though Mothra being more of a fantasy epic sounds pretty great potentially.
I think it's smarter keeping it a bit smaller, Godzilla and Kong being the main spines for this Phase or Phase 1.