The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

Post by TheSecondComing »

It's interesting following all this. I know my local AMC theater has been closed since late May-early June for major renovations, thus missing out on all that sweet sweet summer income.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Why the fuck didn't the article mention Godzilla 2 or Godzilla vs Kong, instead mentioning a never-before-heard-about Skull Island sequel? This KSI sequel is news to me...
Last edited by Ryguy on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Ryguy wrote:Why the skreeonk didn't the article mention Godzilla 2 or Godzilla vs Kong, instead mentioning a never-before-heard-about Skull Island sequel? This KSI sequel is news to me...
I think they are referring to G2 or GvsK.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Man, Wanda/Legendary can't catch a break. Not sure what all of this will mean for Legendary in the future. Definitely looking for WB to carry the franchise post GvK (if Legendary goes under)

http://deadline.com/2017/09/legendary-e ... 202178018/

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

dillonking55 wrote:Man, Wanda/Legendary can't catch a break. Not sure what all of this will mean for Legendary in the future. Definitely looking for WB to carry the franchise post GvK (if Legendary goes under)

http://deadline.com/2017/09/legendary-e ... 202178018/
Yeah... Honestly I just want to get through GvsKong with WB taking over.

I thought there was something out there that stated WB woulbe be the "main" company behind future Godzilla films?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Honestly, I ain't even mad. The less of Wanda the better. They've proven only to be a bit of a pest.

Added in 15 hours 10 minutes 30 seconds:
But I should add that I do agree with Cookson. As much as Legendary cares about this franchise, they really need to stop producing so many failures (and as excited as I am for Uprising, God forbid its budget is above 150 million). Luckily, outside of G2, PR2, and Skyscraper, they seemed to have stopped progress on their other in-development projects at the moment (like Dune and Detective Pikachu), which means that they are likely waiting until these movies have released before they start biting off more than they can chew. Plus, it seems that with Tull out now, they are in a slightly better state than they were a few years back; but the damage has still already been done.

Say what you want about WB in regards to the DCEU, but they're a powerful company. The DCEU isn't so much a fault of WB as a whole, but rather their DC comics division.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ryguy wrote:Honestly, I ain't even mad. The less of Wanda the better. They've proven only to be a bit of a pest.

Say what you want about WB in regards to the DCEU, but they're a powerful company. The DCEU isn't so much a fault of WB as a whole, but rather their DC comics division.
I disagree, the Dc films are clearly Wb's fault.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

miguelnuva wrote:
Ryguy wrote:Honestly, I ain't even mad. The less of Wanda the better. They've proven only to be a bit of a pest.

WB only distributes them. Just like with the MonsterVerse. DC does the casting etc.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cookson wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

WB only distributes them. Just like with the MonsterVerse. DC does the casting etc.
DC doesn't have free reign like Marvel does, at least for BvS and suicide squad there were WB producers there.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

But for the most part, they were DC films productions. The Monsterverse is a collab effort with WB, and so far it's doing very well.

I think the point being is that we really don't know how studio matters will be shaken up in the near future, with Legendary's increasing lack of profitability. I really wish they focused their efforts on the guaranteed moneymakers for the time-being before delving back into more risky projects (aka starting with Godzilla before beginning production on Pacific Rim or Skyscraper), but I guess you could say that level of confidence is evidence that things are good. Studios would never begin production on such high-budget tentpoles if they were in deep financial crisis, but I still really wish they had more profitability at the moment

Added in 1 hour 49 minutes 29 seconds:
http://deadline.com/2017/12/joshua-grod ... um=twitter

New CEO. Very optimistic about this new era of Legendary!
Last edited by Ryguy on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Two executives have left Wanda. It doesn't sound like anything regarding Legendary will be affected, though KOM is the only film mentioned in the article.

https://www.thewrap.com/dalian-wanda-gr ... own-china/

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Legendary's woes continue. Pacific Rim: Uprising tanking hasn't helped things. If the MonsterVerse continues past Godzilla vs. Kong, it will probably lie solely with WB

http://variety.com/2018/biz/global/chin ... 42976/amp/

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

dillonking55 wrote:Legendary's woes continue. Pacific Rim: Uprising tanking hasn't helped things. If the MonsterVerse continues past Godzilla vs. Kong, it will probably lie solely with WB

Worries me slightly. This whole thing was Thomas Tull’s baby anyways - I’m not sure anyone else was ever that interested.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

^I know Alex Garcia is, but he's not the HEAD of the studio

But the future of the Monsterverse already depended on the success of G2 and GvK to begin with

Added in 6 minutes 37 seconds:
Plus, it seems that it's only Wanda's involvement that might be at stake. And as far as I'm aware, they haven't really done much anyway

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

So long as this internal chaos doesn’t affect the quality of the next two films. As much as I’d like to see more, if those are both good movies then I would actually be fine with the MonsterVerse ending at GvK.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Ryguy wrote: they seemed to have stopped progress on their other in-development projects at the moment (like Dune and Detective Pikachu),
Detective Pikachu has been filming for a while now.

http://collider.com/detective-pikachu-c ... ease-date/

and Dune now has a new director
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dune ... two-movies
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Honestly, this stuff with Wanda and LP is getting old. Let's just get through GvsKong and good riddance LP.... Let WB take over.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

dillonking55 wrote:Legendary's woes continue. Pacific Rim: Uprising tanking hasn't helped things. If the MonsterVerse continues past Godzilla vs. Kong, it will probably lie solely with WB

PR:U should not have happened. As long as G2 and GvK are good films, I'm content with the Monsterverse ending in 2020.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I like how some act like Godzilla is a guaranteed money maker. Its far from it. Now if KotM does really good then we can talk.

I actually rather look forward to Dune. There's a ton of great talent behind it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I like how some act like Godzilla is a guaranteed money maker. Its far from it. Now if KotM does really good then we can talk.
More so than Pacific Rim. I mean who would've thought that Uprising would make more than the 2013 film if the 2013 film did good in China? That's a bad executive decision; greenlighting a film that pretty much flopped everywhere.
Hopefully nothing bad happens to either of the studios but this is what happens when you produce films such as The Seventh Son or Warcraft, and now PR:U, all which may have made some money but not enough to make it considered a "success" and earn profits.
Yooo 8-)