The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ScrumpBump
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

Post by ScrumpBump »

She was apparently a producer for Pacific Rim and G14 (and apparently on the other kaiju films) as well, so...eh. She might keep it going.

Tull still on the kaijuverse though, so that's nice.

II don't think they're gonna drop it, regardless. Mostly due to the kaiju rights they got. Might as well make use of them things.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

I wouldn't worry too much since he started Legendary he might still some ownership of it so he might still has some pull and influence.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I wouldn't worry too much since he started Legendary he might still some ownership of it so he might still has some pull and influence.

They stated in the article he is still a produce on the Monsterverse like KOM and KK vs Godzilla, and some project called Dune.

Still kinda sucks for Tull but i just hope this doesn't hurt KOM or Kong vs Godzilla in anyway.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Seems like Tull has been ousted from his own company on less than agreeable terms.
Last edited by ToxicLove on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I wouldn't worry too much since he started Legendary he might still some ownership of it so he might still has some pull and influence.

They stated in the article he is still a produce on the Monsterverse like KOM and KK vs Godzilla, and some project called Dune.

Still kinda sucks for Tull but i just hope this doesn't hurt KOM or Kong vs Godzilla in anyway.
Likewise. Mary Parent is someone I don't know much about. She may have very little care for the franchise.

Makes me wish they didn't wait for Gareth and simply moved on without him, like any other studio would have done.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LethalGoji
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LethalGoji »

This is not good news for the fandom folks. Now that Tull is out I'm sure they're going to look for the first opportunity to end this monsterverse. The fact that the future of the monsterverse continuing is dependent on how Pacific Rim 2 and Skull Island should have us shaking in our boots. All Wanda really has to do is not push these films marketing wise and that will be the end of it. It's certainly going to be tumultuous times going forward.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Everything is suddenly a question mark....
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LethalGoji wrote:This is not good news for the fandom folks. Now that Tull is out I'm sure they're going to look for the first opportunity to end this monsterverse.
Well, that's rather hopelessly pessimistic. I highly doubt they will be looking for the first chance to end everything it's not like Tull was the only one that wanted it in the company that would be impossible. Legendary's Monster Universe is it's most valuable asset especially considering that in the face of all the flops from Legendary recently they are generally the only ones that made a lot of money.

The idea of them just up and canceling on a long in-depth project especially when Cinematic Universes are all the rage now and everybody wants one is beyond stupid. it's not going to happen everyone should relax and not act like Thomas Tull was the only one keeping the company from dropping it entirely after Godzilla made them more money than they have grossed from a film since The Dark Knight rises and they only produced that one especially after how much time and money was spent on the licenses.
The fact that the future of the monsterverse continuing is dependent on how Pacific Rim 2 and Skull Island should have us shaking in our boots.
Pacific Rim is in it's own film group and has no effect on the Legendary Universe for Godzilla you might as well say The Seventh Son Bombing reflected badly for Warcraft.

Anyway, I prefer to be much more hopeful and relaxed regarding this all. the pessimism that has been in the fandom since 98 is really needless for if you are constantly afraid about something than you will not be able to enjoy that something. will it bomb or will it succeed? who knows but that's the Factor (The Fear Factor! hahahahahahaha) you can let that control your outlook on the film or not it is the choice anyone has.
All Wanda really has to do is not push these films marketing wise and that will be the end of it. It's certainly going to be tumultuous times going forward.
That would be intentional Box Office suicide. Unless Wanda's intent was to waste over a Billion Dollars buying the company only to just let it's biggest money cow bomb by not marketing said Cash Cow. it is just insane this fandom needs to stop being pessimistic about everything NOW.

It's gotten ridiculous now (Not you but the larger fandom now).

Also, a thing of note is Wanda doesn't control all of Legendary the company is like a subsidiary just like what Marvel is to Disney while the higher ups answer to the big mouse in charge at times, the company is still allowed independence in it's own handling, Wanda doesn't control the marketing.

Wanda isn't this big super boogey man who is going to devour Legendary and destroy our monster universe. Wanda payed a Billion Dollars to purchase Legendary they are more invested in this film franchise's success than ANY of us. I mean for god's sakes they are still planning a Warcraft sequel and that film bombed.
Godzilla

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Mr. Tull still getting producer credit doesn''t mean a whole lot if I understand things right. It just means his name doesn't get scrubbed from work he was contracted to do. Jon Jashni, who left Legendary last year, receives the same benefit for the other announced Legendary kaiju pics.

I find Mr. Tull leaving to be a major bummer too, but as others have pointed out, Wanda would be INCREDIBLY foolish to just kill their monster stuff. Warcraft profited because of international business, Great Wall isn't getting good reviews so far. and nothing else is a sure bet. I thank Mr. Tull for basically making Legendary into Fan Fiction: The Movie Studio and all the wonderful movies that resulted from his vision and ability.

Added in 27 seconds:
Oh, and the acquisition by Wanda cost 3.5 billion.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

so, the Hollywood reporter article that I read specifically mentions the great wall and pacific rim two as sources of l Wanda's frustration with Thomas Tull.

my question to you guises why do you think pacific rim two is a source of frustration for them? It did well in China so I would assume that they would be on the board for the sequel. what am I missing here?

should be interesting to see how legendary changes creatively moving forward .
Member of TK Since 2006

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

3000 wrote:so, the Hollywood reporter article that I read specifically mentions the great wall and pacific rim two as sources of l Wanda's frustration with Thomas Tull.

my question to you guises why do you think pacific rim two is a source of frustration for them? It did well in China so I would assume that they would be on the board for the sequel. what am I missing here?

I assumed that it was because Legendary's value had depreciated after producing so many box office disappointments.

I mean, the last movies that were notable successes from Legendary are Godzilla and Interstellar. This was before their partnership with Universal. One could argue that Krampus was a minor success, but in a sea of disappointments (Blackhat, Seventh Son, Crimson Peak, etc.) that's not enough.

Look over it's history. When it was still relatively new, Legendary was regularly involved in unique IPs that performed poorly in the box office. I admired Tull because he funded and produced films that he was passionate about. He didn't just stick with franchises that worked. However, I do wish that he would have had more success with original IPs.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LethalGoji
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LethalGoji »

3000 wrote:so, the Hollywood reporter article that I read specifically mentions the great wall and pacific rim two as sources of l Wanda's frustration with Thomas Tull.

It didn't do THAT well in China. Plus China yields the lowest percentage back to the Hollywood studio out of any overseas market. What they're probably frustrated with is they want to be a global company, not just dependent on their home market to propel a film to a profit.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Come on... It's a very legitimate concern when the guy who basically created the monsterverse is forced to leave.

They have the writers room... They've added new additions to the staff(according to IMDb). As long as we continue to get names added to the production within the month, we should be good. It's IS a concern though.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Cookson wrote:Come on... It's a very legitimate concern when the guy who basically created the monsterverse is forced to leave.
And not because of his Monsterverse. it's because of how many films Tull has green lit and have flopped such as to name a few RIPD, Seventh Son, Black Hat and Crimson Peak. (I actually really liked the first two disappointing they didn't succeed)

It really does stink that Tull is gone he had tons of enthusiasm and seemed to care about the films his studio was producing.

Anyway, don't make me make the pessimism thread

I have a arm in a cast for three weeks and I AM LOOKING for something to do! :xilien:
Godzilla

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Guys considering how much the rights to Godzilla Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah cost were getting them in at least ine more Godzilla film even if it sucks.

Godzilla vs Kong is the only thing I l'm slightly concerned about.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LethalGoji
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LethalGoji »

miguelnuva wrote:Guys considering how much the rights to Godzilla Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah cost were getting them in at least ine more Godzilla film even if it sucks.

Maybe the payment for the rights is contingent on if they use those characters or not.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LethalGoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Guys considering how much the rights to Godzilla Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah cost were getting them in at least ine more Godzilla film even if it sucks.

Maybe the payment for the rights is contingent on if they use those characters or not.
Still doesn't change the fact whether or not that is the case with the licenses (Probably not). that Wanda will not dismantle the only current project that is going to earn them some money.

Because if that goes...than what else would they have?

Warcraft already bombed so that's done unless it's released in China are they going to rely solely on Pokémon?
Godzilla

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

It's a really good question. There's a number of Chinese actors in PR2 I think primarily because of the buyout, so I figure whatever blew up between Mr. Tull and Wanda had to be of a business nature rather than an artistic or creative one.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Never shoulda sold out to another company. Legendary was doing fine on their own. :(

LethalGoji
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LethalGoji »

MandaSaurus wrote:Never shoulda sold out to another company. Legendary was doing fine on their own. :(
They really weren't though. Plus, Tull got nicely rewarded I'm sure.