The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Re: The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

Post by Ryguy »

3 years of worrying? Nah

I admit that I was spooked a little bit by the recent news, but then I came to terms with the fact that nothing is indicating anything negative. I will continue to have uncertainty anxiety for the period in which our director is unknown, but after that it is all anticipation

If you want something to sweat over, let it be Pacific Rim 2. That movie has been on the border of a complete shutdown for years now. And there isn't even a release date as we have with Godzilla 2 or Godzilla vs King Kong
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Something everyone needs to keep in mind is Legendary is basically a Chinese movie company that has its productions in Hollywood now. This means pretty much all of the money earned in China goes to Wanda/Legendary which was not the case with G14(obviously some will go to Warner Brothers). That's a HUGE plus for Legendary produced films. I guarantee you Legendary films will be stay in China theaters longer than they should since Wanda owns pretty much all the theater chains in China.. so Wanda will want to get the most $ out of his own films as he can.

This is probably why Pacific Rim rose from the dead.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

The plot thickens....

http://m.imdb.com/board/bd0000092/threa ... #257823141

So now Legendary is apparently in a terrible place regardless. Anybody have a firmer understanding on the subject? Because I am clueless
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Ryguy wrote:The plot thickens....

http://m.imdb.com/board/bd0000092/threa ... #257823141

So now Legendary is apparently in a terrible place regardless. Anybody have a firmer understanding on the subject? Because I am clueless
These guys are making a lot of baseless claims. They aren't "hopeless" until a major news outlet brings up concerns about their slate of upcoming releases.

And just to make a point that they aren't riding on Kong: Skull Island to be a hit, they just won a bidding war for a movie that will star Dwayne Johnson.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/legen ... 201784093/

This doom and gloom shit gets old. I think there is a bigger threat of them going into bankruptcy (if they keep funding flops) before they end up not producing more films.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

But I do think we can all agree that going bankrupt could definitely cut the ropes holding the KCU up from falling into the pits of oblivion. What that guy said about Legendary currently being in debt at IMDB frightened me just a tad: though Legendary is now being supported by a multi-billion/dollar corporation, they still might be in trouble financially. And furthermore, apparently Wanda is manipulative or some shit(?).

In the event that Godzilla 2 gets rear-ended, I would believe that it was Rogue One that fucked us all over: had Gareth been absent from the director's chair for that film, he could have began production on Godzilla 2 pronto and we would've not needed to concern ourselves about such useless events like his departure.

But everybody is shitting their pants about a scenario that is only hypothetical at this point (a cancellation of Godzilla 2).

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Everybody's shitting their pants over numerous hypothetical situations. Fixed.

Look, operating at a loss doesn't mean the company is going under. Let's go over some hard facts, because remember, Wanda paid Legendary 3.5 billion to buy them out.
Tull and company were so pleased with the first Godzilla that we went from one and done to BOOM two more sequels announced two days after the movie came out.
It was an executive decision to wait for Gareth's schedule to clear up again after Rogue One that kept them from beginning Godzilla 2 even sooner. Also, that doesn't mean zero work has been done for Godzilla 2, since we know stories are being drafted as we speak.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If anything LP is being watched on what they green light. The Godzilla/Kong universe isn't the problem.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Worst case scenario here is Wanda makes Legendary only make Godzilla movies going forward.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue May 31, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

miguelnuva wrote:One case scenario here is Wanda makes Legendary only make Godzilla movies going forward.
No. Not in any parallel universe would that ever be a scenario.
Godzilla

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

g2vd wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Worst case scenario here is Wanda makes Legendary only make Godzilla movies going forward.
As far as I know with the split from WB the only successful franchise they have is Godzilla. Everything else is flopping so at some point Wanda would tell Legendary to slow down and focus on what is making money.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

So I came here, freaking out, because I saw one of the Godzilla facebook pages post that Godzilla 2 was cancelled. It was a prank. However, now reading about Wanda's financial situation has me a bit nervous.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

^Wanda is doing just fine

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

In that case, my confidence is restored.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

It was an executive decision to wait for Gareth's schedule to clear up again after Rogue One that kept them from beginning Godzilla 2 even sooner. Also, that doesn't mean zero work has been done for Godzilla 2, since we know stories are being drafted as we speak.
This is all true.

I wonder if there have been any recent news updates on the status of the script.
If anything LP is being watched on what they green light. The Godzilla/Kong universe isn't the problem.
I do wonder exactly what Wanda thinks about Godzilla and Kong specifically. That could unveil a lot of information capable of putting to rest a lot of this worry that many fans are manifesting

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

miguelnuva wrote:
g2vd wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Worst case scenario here is Wanda makes Legendary only make Godzilla movies going forward.
As far as I know with the split from WB the only successful franchise they have is Godzilla. Everything else is flopping so at some point Wanda would tell Legendary to slow down and focus on what is making money.
But that would be financial sucide. Legendary isn't like Marvel or lucasfilm, Legendary is a big film production company and Wanda bought them so they could get into the market. they are not going to make Legendary focus completely on Godzilla, because that means they could do probably only 2 films per year that is financial sucide because than you have nothing else so if the film underperfoms you have nothing else to fall back on.
Godzilla

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

LP will be fine. They won bidding wars recently, one of them being Pokemon I believe. They need to focus on money making franchises, like Godzilla.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Legendary doesn't have much in the way of films coming up, I'm sure Wanda is in the process of readjusting Tull's business strategy of green lighting passion projects.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Underworld54 wrote:Legendary doesn't have much in the way of films coming up, I'm sure Wanda is in the process of readjusting Tull's business strategy of green lighting passion projects.
Knowing you, you probably think that's the Godzilla/Kong universe. That's not the problem.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

So Wanda is a Chinese company, and guess what film did very well in China... That's right, you nailed it!

Godzilla and King Kong are arguably LP's most profitable pieces of property at the moment: if Wanda wants to begin placing regulations on Tull's green-lighting, under no circumstances would it make sense to do anything that doesn't benefit Godzilla or Kong

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Ryguy wrote:So Wanda is a Chinese company, and guess what film did very well in China... That's right, you nailed it!

Godzilla and King Kong are arguably LP's most profitable pieces of property at the moment: if Wanda wants to begin placing regulations on Tull's green-lighting, under no circumstances would it make sense to do anything that doesn't benefit Godzilla or Kong
Godzilla didn't do that we'll in China, it made $77M which yielded less than $25M for the studio.

How can you claim King Kong is a profitable property when the studio hasn't even seen how one of their KK films have performed?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014