The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Re: The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

Post by Ryguy »

The doom mongery needs to fucking stop

Tull was a great guy, but he had a desire to greenlight stupid projects that nobody gave a rip about in the first place, like Detective Pikachu and Crimson Peak. What happened after that? The studio lost money, and a lot of it

Cancelling the monsterverse is like kicking your best runningback from the football team: it's their only truly stable asset at the moment, and in doing so would only fuck up the company.

Everything is still on

Added in 2 minutes 52 seconds:
Also, attention to detail is an at least relatively important skill that one should acquire. Quote taken from initial press release:

"He will retain the title of founding chairman and remain a stakeholder in Legendary, and will remain involved as a producer on the Monsterverse movies and Legendary projects based on Dune."

Added in 4 hours 36 minutes 42 seconds:
Godzilla is totally DOOMED, people, I mean DOOMED:

http://www.wandastudios.com/about-us/the-studios/
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Godzilla/Kong universe is 100% on track to be fully realized, like how Edwards is sure to direct Godzilla 2.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Ryguy wrote:The doom mongery needs to skreeonking stop

Tull was a great guy, but he had a desire to greenlight stupid projects that nobody gave a rip about in the first place, like Detective Pikachu and Crimson Peak. What happened after that? The studio lost money, and a lot of it

Cancelling the monsterverse is like kicking your best runningback from the football team: it's their only truly stable asset at the moment, and in doing so would only skreeonk up the company.

Everything is still on

Added in 2 minutes 52 seconds:
Also, attention to detail is an at least relatively important skill that one should acquire. Quote taken from initial press release:

"He will retain the title of founding chairman and remain a stakeholder in Legendary, and will remain involved as a producer on the Monsterverse movies and Legendary projects based on Dune."

Added in 4 hours 36 minutes 42 seconds:
Godzilla is totally DOOMED, people, I mean DOOMED:

http://www.wandastudios.com/about-us/the-studios/
Is anything about Godzilla 2 on that website? There's a lot to go through there.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Godzilla/Kong universe is 100% on track to be fully realized, like how Edwards is sure to direct Godzilla 2.
One guy leaving (the director nonetheless) is a different matter from an entire company pulling the plug on their only profitable film franchise. The latter requires a multitude of factors, and frankly, Godzilla 2 is much further into production now than it ever has been. Like g2vd said, it's not as if Tull was the only LP exec who wanted this to happen.

Plus, if you would quit reading between the fucking lines, Wanda stated in their press release, clear as water that, not only is the Monsterverse still continuing, but that Tull is still going to be producing them. Wang was extremely enthusiastic back in October too when he announced that Godzilla 2 would be filmed in Qingdao. But I guess that's not enough to appease you, is it?

Cookson, it says nothing about Godzilla. Yet, I assure you that we are in the best of hands. Wanda isn't playing any games: they have a state-of-the-art advanced facility and Godzilla 2 is one of their productions. Doesn't that make you a bit happy?
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I was never not happy. :D ...

Everything is still on track it seems.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Ryguy wrote: One guy leaving (the director nonetheless) is a different matter from an entire company pulling the plug on their only profitable film franchise. The latter requires a multitude of factors, and frankly, Godzilla 2 is much further into production now than it ever has been. Like g2vd said, it's not as if Tull was the only LP exec who wanted this to happen.

Plus, if you would quit reading between the fucking lines, Wanda stated in their press release, clear as water that, not only is the Monsterverse still continuing, but that Tull is still going to be producing them. Wang was extremely enthusiastic back in October too when he announced that Godzilla 2 would be filmed in Qingdao. But I guess that's not enough to appease you, is it?

Cookson, it says nothing about Godzilla. Yet, I assure you that we are in the best of hands. Wanda isn't playing any games: they have a state-of-the-art advanced facility and Godzilla 2 is one of their productions. Doesn't that make you a bit happy?
Wow dude I get it but you don't need to cuss or have a bit of a temper. Children browse this site, and I'm sure this subforum is extremely popular with them.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Ryguy wrote: One guy leaving (the director nonetheless) is a different matter from an entire company pulling the plug on their only profitable film franchise. The latter requires a multitude of factors, and frankly, Godzilla 2 is much further into production now than it ever has been. Like g2vd said, it's not as if Tull was the only LP exec who wanted this to happen.

Wow dude I get it but you don't need to cuss or have a bit of a temper. Children browse this site, and I'm sure this subforum is extremely popular with them.
The age limit is 13, aint it? 13 year olds swear like sailors from my experience, and anyone below 13 was fairly warned.

Anyway, I'm really excited to see that Wanda is still good with godzilla. As long as we get to KoM I'm happy.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Ryguy wrote:
Cancelling the monsterverse is like kicking your best runningback from the football team: it's their only truly stable asset at the moment, and in doing so would only skreeonk up the company.

Everything is still on

[
"MonsterVerse" is also on the back of all the Kong toys. No way it's gonna get cancelled now.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Chris55 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:

Everything is still on

[
"MonsterVerse" is also on the back of all the Kong toys. No way it's gonna get cancelled now.
Correct. I think LP/Wanda and WB are all in through at least Godzilla vs. Kong. Would be amazing to have more movies beyond that... But that's too far in the future to worry about.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Cookson wrote:I was never not happy. :D ...

Everything is still on track it seems.
I'm sorry, but pessimism just makes my asshole tense. It's not like we're in Gambit's spot, or Trick r' Treat 2: films that are still languishing in development hell. We have a steadily-inclining crew, a few filming locations, an official title, a solid buildup, rumors that filming will commence this Summer, etc. And the kicker is that we still haven't reached the two-year mark yet (we really don't even need a director until March or April), which means that this film is in the best of shape.

We are at a state of production right now that many blockbusters don't reach until 1.5 years till debut.
Cookson wrote:Correct. I think LP/Wanda and WB are all in through at least Godzilla vs. Kong. Would be amazing to have more movies beyond that... But that's too far in the future to worry about.
He was kidding: sarcasm is Chris' speciality, but until we get an announcement that things have shut down (which we won't), all of this fear is imaginary. Rather, we have the opposite: Wanda and it's Legendary representative (Jack Gao. The acting LP CEO til Tull's successor is hired) have collectively confirmed that the Kaiju universe is still on (why wouldn't it be? If they can make that Dwayne Johnson Skyscraper shit, they sure as hell can make Godzilla), and that they are enamored to work on Legendary's current and future film slate.

Seriously though, the pessimism is extremely disheartening. When did everyone become such soulless corpses?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well there has been a lot of upheaval at Legendary the past year or so. I can understand how some people could be nervous, but yeah I think we'll get up to Godzilla vs Kong (the only real guaranteed moneymaker of this series). I honestly don't know if I want much beyond that though. It all depends if GvK has taken place of a Godzilla 3 or not.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

What kind of "upheaval"? You mean Wanda purchasing the company? A year ago (literally, pretty much one year ago exact), I remember everybody was anxious as hell at the integration of LP into Wanda. Then time passed and ultimately everything turned out for the better. Movies now have a stronger presence in China, and the new facility in Qingdao is absolutely fantastic. We're talking one of the grandest and most costly filming studios to date with an underlying goal of transforming Legendary into its own massive production/distribution company.

It has even been reported that Tull's exit was actually part of a relatively major plan to better the studio. He even stated something along those lines himself in one of the more recent quotes.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Im just going off headlines and things. I don't bother reading most this stuff as my stakes in the Legendary series are the greatest anyway, though I do like the direction the series seems to be heading in. KSI looks like a huge step up from G14 on the entertainment scale. There definitely no shortage of monsters in Skull Island.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Only pay attention to 1) trades like Deadline and THR, 2) official crew statements, and 3) press releases. Oh, and don't base anything off of headlines either

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I liked that jiger666 troll guy swearing Kong Skull Island would flop. The trailers look good, if the company can market the shit out of the movie well enough, and get trailers and TV spots up, and beat them down our throats (like Bman v Sman) I dont see it flopping. The TV spots are exciting and pretty epic, if they get shown, I'd say interest will follow.

What it all rides on is G2, we know nothing of what it'll be like...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If G2 does better than G1 did I would say G3 for 2022 or 2023 will happen.

As of right now the only film I'm worried about is Skull Island 2.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Ryguy wrote: He was kidding: sarcasm is Chris' speciality, but until we get an announcement that things have shut down (which we won't), all of this fear is imaginary.
I wasn't being sarcastic but hey, maybe more info on it will come out soon
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I just figured that you were because you sounded sarcastic, mentioning the backs of toy packaging and such.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Im just going off headlines and things.
You fell for Clickbait and you didn't even click on it!

You sicken me. :P
Godzilla

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

*SIGH* Wang Jianlin has no fucking idea how to run a film company...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ble-970473
A source close to Wanda says the company's leadership wants Legendary to produce more prestige projects, becoming less identified with the megabudget monster flicks and fanboy fare that Tull favored.
Really? You mean the only movies that make money at that place? The only movies that people want to see? Does he not understand that the original creations are to blame for the company's major recent slips?
At a gala in L.A. in November, Wanda's chairman Wang Jianlin spoke out against the reliance on sequels, remakes and effects-heavy spectacles, saying, "We have to make Hollywood go back to storytelling."
Yeah, uh, isn't that shit what lost the company so much money in the first place? They dove into original projects that nobody cared for and they lost money, meanwhile the familiar products like Godzilla, Superman, Batman, and Kong are the films that are actually making bank...

The current slate is unharmed, but it looks like Godzilla vs Kong will be the end of everything we loved about Legendary