The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Re: The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

Post by Ryguy »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I'm amazed. Where in that article was it indicated they would be ditching big-budget movies? Why does Wanda wanting Legendary to expand equate to the Monsterverse being put at risk? Even if you take the chairman's words at their most negative connotations, all it indicates is Legendary no longer placing their focus on big-budget stuff. Doesn't mean they're ditching anything. I'm missing a connection here. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand people being apprehensive to certain aspects of a film's production. But this seems... misplaced? You guys don't think people running these companies understand the necessity of these franchise films to survive in modern cinema? I'm not trying to be inflammatory or poke at anybody here. I just don't understand.
You're correct, indeed it does depend how one decides to construe the article's words (which may or may not be butchered depending on translation factors, the tendency of the news to overexaggerate the truth, etc). The more I read the article, the more it does seem that Wanda's intent is just to cut-back on overreliance of kaiju films.

Still don't know what any of this means for the films in the development stage (AKA NOT King of Monsters thankfully), however
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I hate bringing politics into this thread, but do people think that if Trump causes a trade war that it would negatively impact the company? I could see it rattling the entirety of Hollywood.

A friend brought this up and for some reason it never crossed my mind...
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but at least that would make it difficult for Wanda to fuck us up any further
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Ryguy wrote:I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but at least that would make it difficult for Wanda to fuck us up any further
Yes, but a major chunk of revenue would disappear.

Also, Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Pacific Rim: Uprising are shooting in Qingdao. Imagine if something fucked up happened to where filming in China would result in the studio paying a tariff of some kind?

I don't expect that to happen, but....what if it did?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Jesus Christ I never thought of that we're being screwed by Capt'n Trump.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I've softened a bit now, and it does seem that Jianlin talked about Hollywood "going back to storytelling" a while back, and he never even implied that his vision for Legendary later was to eliminate blockbusters completely:

http://www.thewrap.com/chinas-wanda-gro ... rytelling/

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Once again only Skull Island's performance is the can cancel Godzilla vs Kong. If GvsK stays on 2020 by the time KOTM comes out it will be too late to cancel. Considering how early they're working on G2 they might be shooting back to back.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

You guys are overthinking it.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Chris55 wrote:You guys are overthinking it.
I hope you mean that in an indirect positive way...

Added in 15 hours 43 minutes 9 seconds:
The Great Wall seems to be getting fucking demolished at the box office and by critics.

Looks like the Monsterverse films are all Legendary/Wanda have at the moment that are certain money-makers, and I'm fine with that

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Chinese regulatory organizations, concerned about the massive amounts of money leaving China, effectively killed the Dick Clark Productions deal.

http://www.thewrap.com/dick-clark-produ ... exclusive/

In November, China's State Administration of Foreign Exchange instituted a new rule that requires Chinese companies to check in with them before doing deals that send more than $5 million outside of China. This has affected numerous real estate deals, including for the Waldorf Astoria building in NYC. Regulators kiboshed Wanda's attempt to just absorb Legendary into their theater chain.

http://www.thewrap.com/china-regulators ... p-chinese/

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Deleted post

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

What the hell does the above even mean? Lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Skull Island's perceived success looks to be paying-off for Wanda:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... ons-986025

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah, Wanda is literally buying shit left and right.... He needs to take a sit back and work on Legendary and the new movie studio. That there is enough to make some return. Glad Kong is a overall success..
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

This has little to do with Wanda, but what are the specifics of Legendary's deal with WB? Last I read, they were not on very good terms prior to their split, but maybe I didn't read it correctly.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Ryguy wrote:This has little to do with Wanda, but what are the specifics of Legendary's deal with WB? Last I read, they were not on very good terms prior to their split, but maybe I didn't read it correctly.
I'm not sure. If you look at it, LPs downfall began when they went over to Universal. Can't remember their standing with WB. I know the CEO of WB is excited about the MonsterVerse based on the 2015 Kong/Godzilla announcement.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

It's definitely obvious that the studios can produce Monsterverse movies, even after their split. I just wish their wasn't such a rift to begin with

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Ryguy wrote:This has little to do with Wanda, but what are the specifics of Legendary's deal with WB? Last I read, they were not on very good terms prior to their split, but maybe I didn't read it correctly.
Sort of. Warner Bros. wanted to distribute DC films for their own gain instead of letting co-financiers like Legendary work on them. Now Legendary has made bad decisions with original IPs, and WB doesn't have a fucking clue how to start its own cinematic universe.

Not to mention, WB completely fucked Legendary with a lack of significant marketing for Pacific Rim. That didn't help matters.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Wanda Studios is looking to host 5 or 6 blockbusters at Qingdao in 2018. Half of its' soundstages are currently operational, Pacific Rim: Uprising just wrapped shooting there, and King of Monsters will begin later on.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/vast- ... 202453370/

Added in 14 hours 47 minutes 56 seconds:
Wanda's been in the middle of a sellathon, and may be looking to get rid of Qingdao.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dalia ... 202509302/

erod510
Samurai

Post by erod510 »

Just thought I drop this. Wanda is surely in a pickle. Hopefully this doesn't affect the future of the Monsterverse beyong 2020.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/china-crack ... 202140391/