The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Chinese company Wanda acquires Legendary Pictures

Post by Underworld54 »

3000 wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Godzilla is also the lowest grossing film in Hollywood history to open with over $90 million dollars.
If this is true, then that word of mouth must have really decimated it after opening week, eh? That's very interesting.

I can't say that that this changes my mind too much on Godzilla 2014 being a financial success. Especially in the face of the stats that are quoted in your post.
This figure is 100% true, it nearly missed $200M which would have been the first time a film ever opened that high and missed $200M. What's alarming is the wheels came off like this all over the world.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

People are still debating if G2014 was a success or not? Seriously? Even after they've started shooting a new Kong movie in the same universe, have confirmed there will be a sequel to G2014 and that there will then be a big crossover movie with Kong? And that's not even mentioning Toho's comeback! I mean, really? What is wrong with some of you? G2014 was a success. It put Godzilla back on the map. People love Godzilla, now more than ever. I though it was a given to everybody, no matter what they though of the quality of the latest movie. Most of us have been celebrating, enjoying every second of the big G's comeback. And man, it feels good.

I just hope Wanda doesn't mess with that. I can already see myself in 4 years with my 3 nephews in theater watching a new version of KKVG. Something I never though I'd say in my lifetime. It's good to be a Kaiju fan these days. :)
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

ScrumpBump
Monarch Researcher

Post by ScrumpBump »

At long last, we'll get the greatest crossover kaiju film: Godzilla vs. ...M-Mighty Peking Man.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I think this gives Legendary a much-needed boost.

2015 hasn't a been a great year for their in-house projects (Krampus aside).
And amidst rumors that Universal isn't enthusiastic about Legendary's output & Tull's attitude, I don't think we'll see Universal let Legendary near any of their potential money makers soon.

Sure, JW & Straight Outta Compton made lots of cash, but Legendary just joined in financially when these projects were already starting production.

But anyway, Krampus' performance and this optimistic news ought to make things look bright for Legendary soon.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

So what's this supposed to mean exactly? Doesn't this same company own AMC Theaters as well?

Also, this does not mean that we are getting Asian-style Ghidorah either
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

KaijuArcade
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuArcade »

Why should Tull be fired...oh, wait. looks at poster's username

Right.
godzillalives88 wrote: I'd be worried about where Godzilla'd go without Tull to be honest. He implemented a lot of the rules that insured the first one was a faithful rendition of the character - him looking like Godzilla, breathing fire, fighting another monster, etc. I don't see a lot of other studio heads protecting the character like that, or he even having really seen a Godzilla movie to be honest (see Sony).
Exactly, I don't care about studio politics or bad blood or whatever happened between Tull and Universal, the important thing is Tull is a huge Godzilla fan and part of the reason why we got an authentic Godzilla movie where the director was given a ton of freedom and he's also why we'll continue getting kaiju movies. And as said before, China buying Legendary might give us a better chance of getting a Pacific Rim sequel. Only thing I'm really iffy on right now is Tull pushing to make G vs King Kong. I can understand why he'd want to do that from a Kong fanboy perspective but it's really risky unless it's handled right. I'm still hoping the Godzilla/Kong movie will end up being a Skull Island related sidestory and not part of the actual trilogy.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

According to Variety, Tull is continue to be the chairman at Legendary. This sounds more like Wanda's attempt to open a doorway for asian (specifically chinese) filmmakers, producers, actors, etc to break into the Western/Hollywood world, which is fine. It also sounds like they have the finances to really push Legendary, which means that, for fans like us, it could be real good for franchises like "Godzilla" and maybe even "Pacific Rim", but big big big maybe for Pacific Rim. That movie barely broke even at the box office, so I don't know if they'd want to risk that. At the end of the day though, this just sounds like Wanda positioning themselves to make some Hollywood money and recognition in the western film world.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

ScootaVaran wrote:More then half of this topic is centered around a single members opinion. For fuck sakes people...
I'm I the only one that sees through that shit?
I think half the posts in this subforum exist because of him.
KingKaiju wrote:According to Variety, Tull is continue to be the chairman at Legendary. This sounds more like Wanda's attempt to open a doorway for asian (specifically chinese) filmmakers, producers, actors, etc to break into the Western/Hollywood world, which is fine. It also sounds like they have the finances to really push Legendary, which means that, for fans like us, it could be real good for franchises like "Godzilla" and maybe even "Pacific Rim", but big big big maybe for Pacific Rim. That movie barely broke even at the box office, so I don't know if they'd want to risk that. At the end of the day though, this just sounds like Wanda positioning themselves to make some Hollywood money and recognition in the western film world.
Do note that PR made even more in China than it did domestically. That could definitely help it.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't foresee any of this really changing any of the upcoming movies/plans. Legendary has already put a great deal of effort into their Godzilla universe, and already great strides have been made to combine the Godzilla and Kong Franchise. No doubt if such a deal happened most likely it was made clear that nothing was up for debate, in that the Godzilla films would move forward and nothing will be scrapped. Wanda bought legendary specifically so they could earn some of their earnings and be part of their IP's. If they didn't want to be part of the Godzilla thing they wouldn't have bought Godzilla in the first place.

Beyond that Jurassic World is getting a sequel and will continue to take in cash for legendary. Also just to ad: Krampus was made on a relatively low budget and made a large profit given the size of the film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Mr. X wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:More then half of this topic is centered around a single members opinion. For fuck sakes people...
KingKaiju wrote:According to Variety, Tull is continue to be the chairman at Legendary. This sounds more like Wanda's attempt to open a doorway for asian (specifically chinese) filmmakers, producers, actors, etc to break into the Western/Hollywood world, which is fine. It also sounds like they have the finances to really push Legendary, which means that, for fans like us, it could be real good for franchises like "Godzilla" and maybe even "Pacific Rim", but big big big maybe for Pacific Rim. That movie barely broke even at the box office, so I don't know if they'd want to risk that. At the end of the day though, this just sounds like Wanda positioning themselves to make some Hollywood money and recognition in the western film world.
Do note that PR made even more in China than it did domestically. That could definitely help it.
Even with it being more successful in China, it still barely made the company any money. Guillermo Del Toro's also a guy who likes to go bigger with every sequel, and I just don't think the higher ups want to risk that.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

So, what does this mean for Godzilla...? I suppose nothing much of importance with the plans that are going to be followed anyway...

Right...?
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

"China's killing us in trade, killing us in industry, and now they've taken Godzilla."
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Gawdziller
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Gawdziller »

Why is it every thread Underworld posts in turns into a goddamn box office debate? Why do we give a shit at this point? I sure as hell don't.

The only thing I'm reading from the merger is that there will be a easier chance for Legendary's films to obtain wide Chinese release, and since it's the second largest market for film that's a good thing. Legendary's Universal deal still stands.
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Mr. X wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:More then half of this topic is centered around a single members opinion. For skreeonk sakes people...
Yes but China yields the smallest return for any Hollywood film, only 25%.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Underworld54 wrote: Yes but China yields the smallest return for any Hollywood film, only 25%.
25% of China's grosses is still more than most movies make in most countries.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

tymon wrote: http://a57.foxnews.com/media2.foxnews.c ... _trump.jpg
"China's killing us in trade, killing us in industry, and now they've taken Godzilla."
Those communist bastards! They're buying up America left and right! Obama's gonna make it so he's the last president in the universe! I like tacos!

I'd love see what the rednecks think of this...
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Ryguy wrote:So what's this supposed to mean exactly? Doesn't this same company own AMC Theaters as well?

Also, this does not mean that we are getting Asian-style Ghidorah either
Wait, did some people really assume that the monsters were going to be Chinese themed because of this? C'mon now...

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ath-875642

It sounds like Wanda is going to add Legendary into its "Wanda Cinema Line", which local investors can buy stock. Maybe someone with more knowledge on that can help out.

Legendary is definitely going through some changes, and hopefully it doesn't scare Warner Brothers from Legendary(Warner Brothers controls Godzilla future not LP). I would assume if WB was having any doubts about LP they would just distribute with another company. I assume this is the same with Kong. However, I don't think that'll be the case... just the fact these films will be under the Wanda name means they'll get more theaters then other films in China. WB is going to want that.

Hopefully Thomas Tull comes out in the near future for a interview to help clear up some things, because he hasn't said anything since this "merger".
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Welp Tull has a boss now, I'm worried.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... ath-875642
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Parent works for Tull. Tull works for Wanda. Nothing had really changed
it'll all be good.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer