Other iconic kaiju Universe

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Futurian

Re: Other iconic kaiju Universe

Post by 3000 »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Then if so, maybe we COULD see other Toho creations, hopefully.

Anguirus, Goro, Kumonga, PLZ...
I hope so. My theory currently is that Skull Island is basically monster island, just renamed. Hoping to see a whole bunch of monster island regulars on Skull Island in addition to some new kaiju.
Member of TK Since 2006

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I think an update to War of the Gargantuas would be perfect for this series. Its a well known sci-fi classic and the gargantuas themselves stand out by being hominid kaiju.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I can easily see Angurius and Gorosaurus in Skull Island, I would say Kamacuras but since he's so obscure they could easily just make a original bug monster.
Godzilla

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Giga Kaiju wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:I sort of felt the same way BUT the possibility is there. Besides, there's a part of me that thinks that when they said that it was going to be a shared-universe, that it is going to be more than Kong and the Big G. Rodan and the remaining two confirmed kaiju as not counting in that.
I'd imagine that the farthest they go with that is POSSIBLY Pacific Rim... Possibly. I wouldn't put too much hope into that, considering that we might not be getting a Pacific Rim 2.
I'm not sure about PacRim, but I'd like to see something about that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Creatures like the Black Scorpion, THEM!, Rhedosaurus, seem more likely IMO if we go for anything.
Between those characters, we're probably more likely to see Pacific Rim characters brought in, simply for the fact that Legendary owns the rights to them. I think the possibility of incorporating creatures like Rhedosaurus or the Black Scorpion is reading too much into it. I'm sure that "other iconic monsters" just means characters like King Ghidorah, MechaGodzilla, Rodan, etc.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

All the Pacific Rim Jaegars and kaiju are gone or DEAD. Why would they bring in those characters when they could bring in NEW kaiju?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cookson wrote:All the Pacific Rim Jaegars and kaiju are gone or DEAD. Why would they bring in those characters when they could bring in NEW kaiju?
Agreed. Frankly, the PR kaiju and characters seem the LEAST likely to be brought into this.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

B34sT wrote:I think an update to War of the Gargantuas would be perfect for this series. Its a well known sci-fi classic and the gargantuas themselves stand out by being hominid kaiju.
Personally I have never been particularly interested in bringing the Gargantuas into the Godzilla franchise (not opposed, just generally disinterested for some reason). However, I continue to be adamant that a modern version, starring Brad Pitt could be both a quality film and financially successful. Apparently War of the Gargantuas is well liked by Pitt, so naturally I would imagine he'd be interested in having a lead role (which equals considerable star power). So yeah, a ~$175M WoG remake/re-adaptation could be successful if they have the right talent involved, make a good movie, and market it effectively. Not something I'm willing to say about a lot of giant monster movies that would need to make decent coin. And logically if it was done by Legendary they could just set it in the Godzillaverse.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah but before that we need Frankenstien conquers the world! Frankenstien is an iconic character right? PSssst he's also public domain.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Tohosaurus wrote:
B34sT wrote:I think an update to War of the Gargantuas would be perfect for this series. Its a well known sci-fi classic and the gargantuas themselves stand out by being hominid kaiju.
Personally I have never been particularly interested in bringing the Gargantuas into the Godzilla franchise (not opposed, just generally disinterested for some reason). However, I continue to be adamant that a modern version, starring Brad Pitt could be both a quality film and financially successful. Apparently War of the Gargantuas is well liked by Pitt, so naturally I would imagine he'd be interested in having a lead role (which equals considerable star power). So yeah, a ~$175M WoG remake/re-adaptation could be successful if they have the right talent involved, make a good movie, and market it effectively. Not something I'm willing to say about a lot of giant monster movies that would need to make decent coin. And logically if it was done by Legendary they could just set it in the Godzillaverse.
I'll be up for some Gargantuan action. Pitt did said that he liked it, but I'm not sure, it could be or not. Similar to how Will Smith said at one point that he liked Ultraman, making people assume that something was up with the character. :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I just had a other thought even though I know its not happenibg, what if Nemesis got into this universe somehow.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Yeah but before that we need Frankenstien conquers the world! Frankenstien is an iconic character right? PSssst he's also public domain.
But would audiences go for it? :freak: I don't know.
Giga Kaiju wrote: I'll be up for some Gargantuan action. Pitt did said that he liked it, but I'm not sure, it could be or not. Similar to how Will Smith said at one point that he liked Ultraman, making people assume that something was up with the character. :P
Oh I don't think anyone took Brad's statement to imply that something was going on in the background as far as a WoG film.
In one of the many montages on the Oscars last night, Brad Pitt explained that he learned his love of cinema from watching a movie in which two "Gargantuas," a good Gargantua and an evil Gargantua, fought each other. "I remember the Brown Gargantua was the good one," he said, "and had to battle the evil green Gargantua, and in the end had to sacrifice himself to stop him."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... inema.html
Bonus:

Burton directed, Pitt starring, dare I say? :mrgreen:
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Cookson wrote:All the Pacific Rim Jaegars and kaiju are gone or DEAD. Why would they bring in those characters when they could bring in NEW kaiju?
Because they own the rights to the characters, and it would make more sense to bring in something that they own rather than trying to bring in some obsure monster from the 30's that no one's heard of. Not to mention that people have expressed their interest in seeing these two franchises cross over. I'm not saying that it'll happen, or that it's even likely. But if I had to guess between seeing Jaegers fight Godzilla first, or see Godzilla fight the Rhedosaurus... I'm going to go and take the Pacific Rim route.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

KingKaiju wrote:
Because they own the rights to the characters, and it would make more sense to bring in something that they own rather than trying to bring in some obsure monster from the 30's that no one's heard of. Not to mention that people have expressed their interest in seeing these two franchises cross over. I'm not saying that it'll happen, or that it's even likely. But if I had to guess between seeing Jaegers fight Godzilla first, or see Godzilla fight the Rhedosaurus... I'm going to go and take the Pacific Rim route.
Why reuse something you used not that long ago I'm 2013 though? Just create NEW kaiju. Btw, they do own the Rhedosaurus.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Cookson wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Why reuse something you used not that long ago I'm 2013 though? Just create NEW kaiju. Btw, they do own the Rhedosaurus.
I'm sure they're going to create something new, they mentioned that in the initial report. Pacific Rim seems to have garnered a following, so it would make sense why they would bring those characters in, if they ever decided to do so. As for the Rhedosaurus, I should've known that they owned him. But considering that they haven't touched that character since that movie, and probably because 90% of people out there don't know who or what Rhedosaurus is, I doubt they'd ever bring that things back.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Guillermo Del Toro has also said many times that War of the Gargantuans is one of his favorite movie. Brad Pitt and GDT remaking WOTG would be pretty damn awesome. :)
And yeah, integrating it in the Legendary universe would also make sense. Maybe a cancellation price for GDT for Pac Rim 2?
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If Kong is Godzilla's "Dad" then Rhedosaurus is the "Mom" I would love to see the Beast get remade and put in this universe.

Also while they are no universally known if Warner is going this far into planning this universe I'd bet a couple dollars someone went back and brought up the Rhedosaurus, the Behemoth and Them!

Weren't all three super popular in their time?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

As far as Pacific Rim goes, you guys have to have some fucking hope that Universal and Legendary will continue that franchise. It seems you guys who are on board with Pacific Rim crossing over to Godzilla have giving up on the chances of Pacific Rim 2. Del Toro has the budget and script ready and just needs the ok from Universal. HAVE HOPE that franchise can continue without giving up and needing to be FORCED into this exciting Godzilla/Kong universe.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Get the rights to Gamera from Daiei and make a solo film set in this universe leading to the first ever crossover with Godzilla.

Since a Japanese crossover is impossible, because Toho doesn't want to split profits with Daiei, have Legendary do it themselves here in the USA
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:Get the rights to Gamera from Daiei and make a solo film set in this universe leading to the first ever crossover with Godzilla.

Since a Japanese crossover is impossible, because Toho doesn't want to split profits with Daiei, have Legendary do it themselves here in the USA
Toho has a lot of power in these WB/LP movies more than people think. If they don't want it I Japan, it won't happen here either.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Sad thing that is the case. Toho STILL doesn't want anything to do with a crossover with those two. :|
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.