Who should be the composer for Godzilla 2?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Who should be the composer for Godzilla 2?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Giga Kaiju wrote:It is actually 2007-2008.
I was responding to 2004Zilla. :roll: :lol:
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Oh. Oops. If only you mentioned the full-name, hehe... -_- :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Oh, Giacchino composed Cloverfield's soundtrack? Pretty cool.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Yeah, he did. That's why he is often chosen by people here to being fitting to compose the OST of a kaiju movie. In this case, Godzilla.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

He only technically did the end credits as the film is itself devoid of an actual score.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:He only technically did the end credits as the film is itself devoid of an actual score.
There was the music during the party scene. :P
(One of my favourite non-kaiju moments in the film is where Hud is getting shot down by Marlena, and "Do I Have Your Attention" is playing in the background, providing a mocking running commentary of his failure to pick up :lol: )

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:He only technically did the end credits as the film is itself devoid of an actual score.
Just the soundtrack of many known music at the time, that's it. But yeah, just the credits sequence.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Giacchino's score for Cloverfield's credits is so good, it's part of what makes me wish Cloverfield had been a more traditional kaiju film instead of found footage. I do hope he gets to score a kaiju or at least a monster film someday (one that isn't heavily reliant on old scores). Hopefully we get him for one of the Godzilla sequels or for a KKvsG if that sees the light of day.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

He'd fit for a monster movie or G2/3. It'd be nice too if he also didn't resorted to previous works like some apparently are saying.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

While Giacchino's Cloverfield overture was amazing, I've found a lot of his recent works forgettable, so on second thoughts I'm not totally sold on him as a possible replacement for Desplat. (Who remains my #1 choice)

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I hope that whoever gets to do the score, amps up the "OOMPH..." feel of the music. Kind of like when the Male Muto appeared at first, that one was pretty good.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Giga Kaiju wrote:I hope that whoever gets to do the score, amps up the "OOMPH..." feel of the music. Kind of like when the Male Muto appeared at first, that one was pretty good.
I thought it had plenty of "oomph", at least when it was needed. The intro, Godzilla's arrival at Hawaii, and his triumphant march out to see come to mind.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It was more majestic than 'deep' or 'strong' like in that one. "Two Against One" is another good example.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Giga Kaiju wrote:It was more majestic than 'deep' or 'strong' like in that one. "Two Against One" is another good example.
The ending theme struck me as quite majestic.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

That is majestic enough too. For that kind of moments, Desplat did a fine job.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

The ending theme felt more "super hero-esque" to me. A great score grabs you and doesn't let go. The main themes from Return of Godzilla and GMK emmediately pulled me into those films and left a forever lasting impression on me. Desplat's score was like almost everything else in the film, bland and forgettable. Only Oshima's work is more forgettable.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The ending theme felt more "super hero-esque" to me. A great score grabs you and doesn't let go. The main themes from Return of Godzilla and GMK emmediately pulled me into those films and left a forever lasting impression on me. Desplat's score was like almost everything else in the film, bland and forgettable. Only Oshima's work is more forgettable.
"Pulling me into the film and leaving a lasting impression/grabs you and doesn't let go" almost perfectly sums up how Desplat's dark and driving opening theme to G14 made me feel.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If that's the case, then it did the job alright.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

thw main theme is great, I say keep desplat, janjira, power plant and the wave are verry good tracks and memorable, and so is last shot, it took the main theme and tryed to make it a march.

actually thats al is missing, a march theme song, a rendition of the main theme but without that slow build up

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Variola wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The ending theme felt more "super hero-esque" to me. A great score grabs you and doesn't let go. The main themes from Return of Godzilla and GMK emmediately pulled me into those films and left a forever lasting impression on me. Desplat's score was like almost everything else in the film, bland and forgettable. Only Oshima's work is more forgettable.
"Pulling me into the film and leaving a lasting impression/grabs you and doesn't let go" almost perfectly sums up how Desplat's dark and driving opening theme to G14 made me feel.
It did the complete opposite for me.