Who should be the composer for Godzilla 2?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Variola
JXSDF Technician

Re: Who should be the composer for Godzilla 2?

Post by Variola »

Janjira-York wrote:thw main theme is great, I say keep desplat, janjira, power plant and the wave are verry good tracks and memorable, and so is last shot, it took the main theme and tryed to make it a march.
Don't forget Back to the Ocean. ;)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I was a huge fan of Desplat's score for Godzilla; I am all for bringing him back for the sequel. Seemed very appropriate for a thematic giant monster movie.

If I ignore that and look at other options, I think of some that have already been mentioned. Ramin Djwadi did a great job with Pacific Rim in 2013 and Dracula Untold last year. PR had proper kaiju-like music, dramatic and thematic. DU had ominous, dreadful yet artistic themes. Michael Giacchino readily comes to mind as well, having performed well with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Super 8, etc. In each example he created not just a good score, but one that fit with the movie/franchise and its legacy. Obviously that also applies to what he did with Cloverfield's credits theme. If the movie's concept as a whole was inspired by Japanese monsters, specifically Godzilla, it was conveyed in no more powerful method than Giacchino's theme. In my opinion that would've been a great theme for a Godzilla movie anyway! Steven Price was the composer behind Gravity, which had absolutely fantastic music. Gripping, intense, and emotion. With something that fits for a Godzilla movie, that's exactly what they need. M83 did the music for Olibvion, and I would expect they could do a nice monster soundtrack as well. Disasterpeace was excellent for It Follows, and if he could bring that sense of drama on a larger scale for a giant monster movie he'd be brilliant too. Currently his work for It Follows is my pick for score of the year among films.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Tohosaurus wrote:M83 did the music for Olibvion, and I would expect they could do a nice monster soundtrack as well.
I forgot about these guys!
freaking adored Oblivion's soundtrack. Especially Starwaves and Fearful Odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihjxka_ ... be&t=2m15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KPV5tx ... n-VtL2vgy-

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

As long as the tracks are memorable, fitting and awesome to hear, Desplat would be a good choice to make it back.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Variola wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The ending theme felt more "super hero-esque" to me. A great score grabs you and doesn't let go. The main themes from Return of Godzilla and GMK emmediately pulled me into those films and left a forever lasting impression on me. Desplat's score was like almost everything else in the film, bland and forgettable. Only Oshima's work is more forgettable.
"Pulling me into the film and leaving a lasting impression/grabs you and doesn't let go" almost perfectly sums up how Desplat's dark and driving opening theme to G14 made me feel.
It did the complete opposite for me.
For me, the opening/main theme is the ONLY memorable/interesting part of the score.
Member of TK Since 2006

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Tapkaara wrote:IEven John Williams has become routine. (His last truly great score was for the first Jurassic Park.)
Really? I rather liked his Duel Of The Fates theme in ROTS and his theme at the end of Jurassic World I thought they were pretty good.
Godzilla

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Either Kow Otani or Danny Elfman for me
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Julia Bristow wrote:Either Kow Otani or Danny Elfman for me
Elfman is a little too whimsy isn't he?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Underworld54 wrote:

You sure you don't want to compare their box office #'s?

:)
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:

You sure you don't want to compare their box office #'s?

:)
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I'd be very glad if Desplat returned to handle the score. I thought he did a good job with G2014. It certainly wasn't anywhere near the same quality as Ifukube could do at his best, but it delivered what it was supposed to.

In case he does get replaced, there are a few composers who I think could be excellent choices: Alan Silvestri, Aaron Zigman, Michael Giacchino and John Williams (although it's probably very unlikely for him).
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Agreed that Elfman is a bit too whimsical.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Yeah Elfman seems a poor fit to me.
I haven't heard a score from him in the right vein for a darker, more grounded kaiju film.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Desplat coming back would be ideal, but if they bring in someone new, I would love Giachinno. I loved his work on LOST. I don't know how he didn't win any awards for the music he did for that show.

I don't or haven't ever really looked.. but how often does the same composer come back?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Forget to mention Jóhann Jóhannsson. His work on Sicario was incredible, and it had that eeriness and "deepness" that I could totally see being effective in a giant monster movie.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren