GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by G2000 »

JesstrK wrote:Not Beauty and the Beast, but as I said above, they did make some pointless changes to Aladdin, for the worse..
There was Gay LeFou but that was largely a half-assed attempt at virtue signaling and stirring up controversy for advertising purposes

In any case, to tie it into the topic I am somewhat worried about it being released so close to Milan after watching Aladdin and Endgame completely tag team the May-June box office
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by KingKaiju »

Hey, it's better than that early rumor of the white savior merchant who comes along to meet Mulan and becomes her love interest. Woooooo man, that would've been BAAAAAD!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

G2000 wrote:
JesstrK wrote:Not Beauty and the Beast, but as I said above, they did make some pointless changes to Aladdin, for the worse..
There was Gay LeFou but that was largely a half-assed attempt at virtue signaling and stirring up controversy for advertising purposes
And a useless prologue.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KingKaiju wrote:Hey, it's better than that early rumor of the white savior merchant who comes along to meet Mulan and becomes her love interest. Woooooo man, that would've been BAAAAAD!

I literally sweat a little reading that and just imagining the backlash.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Hey, it's better than that early rumor of the white savior merchant who comes along to meet Mulan and becomes her love interest. Woooooo man, that would've been BAAAAAD!

Damn, I wish they kept that. The backlash would be beneficial for GvK and would be great catharsis for what they did (and are going to do with Endgame re-release planned) to KOTM.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
JesstrK wrote:
Sorry, let me clarify, I might have come across wrong. I wasn't implying that I want the Monsterverse to end. Far from it; I've loved everything that's come so far especially KOTM and would love to see where it goes from here. I'm just worried that GvK will fall victim to the same Box Office and critic reaction that KOTM did (since the GA don't seem to share our enthusiasm), which if this were to happen, the MV would end, and with a wimper at that. That's what I meant by "the pain will soon be done and over with." I definitely want the MV to continue, mostly so I can see what happens with that Ghidorah head (crossing my fingers for a DAM remake).
GvK will not fall victim to the woes of KOTM for four reasons (critic maybe, box office no). One, might not help KOTM, but many people who didn't check it out in theaters will have seen it on Netflix or HBO or something by then, and since the audience that did see the film loved it a lot more than the critics did, they'll be more likely to watch the sequel whether the critics poop on this movie like they did KOTM or not. Two, no Avengers Endgame. Trust me, that movie had a lot more to do with KOTM underperforming than the critics and Rotten Tomatoes. I mean, those things didn't help, but the big thing was Endgame caused a lot of big movie fatigue, and nothing that hyped is set for next year. Although Mulan might do like Aladdin did, which would suck, but still no Endgame. Three, no five year wait. I read somewhere that some people might've thought this was a Godzilla reboot instead of a sequel because of the wait. And finally four, Kong. Having both mainstream giant monsters in one film is going to help this film a lot. Honestly, there are people who still don't know Kong and Godzilla are both part of the same universe (not everyone stayed for or remembered the K:SI credits).

So yeah, even if the critics snub this film (very unfairly I might add) like they did KOTM, it won't hurt that much. Endgame especially, and the other things I mentioned, were this movie's undoing more than that.

Real question isn't if GvK will do well, but looking at KOTM, will it do well enough to save the Monsterverse going forward? I really don't need a Destroy All Monsters, but I do want a Godzilla 3 to wrap up that Ghidorah head plot hook. Keep your fingers crossed!
Well that's quite an optimistic take. I appreciate it. Also, Mulan apparently isn't as big of a Disney classic as Aladdin was and I heard that there's going to be some very controversial changes about removing some characters so maybe it won't be as much of a monster as Aladdin is. (though it will at least come VERY close for the Disney name alone). If the Endgame Curse really wears off by then, we might actually see some success.
Not that optimistic, pretty solid evidence and reasoning to think Endgame and Aladdin were the main contributors over this flopping, with the five year wait and rotten critics making it worse. GvK shouldn't have to deal with anything on that level knocking it down except possibly the rotten critics again, and I still contend they were the smallest factor at play this go around. Unless something unforeseen happens, GvK would have to do better by virtue of fewer and less massive obstacles. So not really optimism, solid reasoning that only feels like optimism due to the still fresh sting of how KOTM has fared. Endgame was a curse for the movies that came after it.

Also, I wouldn't rule Mulan out of doing better than Aladdin despite the changes, it'll still do well enough over here in the west because Disney, but China could push it well over Aladdin. I mean a big live action Disney remake based on a Chinese folktale? Yeah, I don't care how it compares to the original, it's going to pull in big...yuan? Whatever the Chinese version of the dollar is.

Added in 2 minutes 24 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I was going to see Mulan only due to Make a man out of you being my favorite Disney song ever. But since it won’t be there I ain’t going
YEAH MAN DO YOUR PART, WATCH OUT MOVIES AND DONT WATCH DISNEY

Might not be the best place to post this but we've had some BO talk so...apparently the Marvel bois are desperate enough to push Endgame above Avatar that they're re-releasing it with "additional content", likely a post-credits scene (Every Marvel fan that stopped repeatedly watching will start again) Will this hurt us?
Yes, yes it will. Even if the additional content isn't much, a second go around of this juggernaut is not good news for any other movie currently out.

Added in 3 minutes 55 seconds:
MikeSTZillak wrote:Excuse me, but what's with all the sudden hate for Endgame?
No hate for the movie, just hate for the cheap cash grab tactic of a rerelease so soon. It already made all the money, do they really need to push it past Avatar? It's so damn corporate and soulless of a move. But the movie itself was fun, if a little overhyped in my opinion (not even in my top 3 MCU movies).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Godzilla21 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I was going to see Mulan only due to Make a man out of you being my favorite Disney song ever. But since it won’t be there I ain’t going
For real? Thats a great song. My daughter loves it.
It’s my workout song
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
It’s my workout song
TK members work out? Wot? This is like some paradox or something :lol:
Long Live The King

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Hokmuto wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
It’s my workout song
You should see my six pack! I crack it open every time a fight pops up here and just kick back.
Image Image

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote: It’s my workout song
You should see my six pack! I crack it open every time a fight pops up here and just kick back.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

Damn, I wish they kept that. The backlash would be beneficial for GvK and would be great catharsis for what they did (and are going to do with Endgame re-release planned) to KOTM.
And I was using literally the right way. My brow and neck were wet when I touched them.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

I'd argue that it might not stop the trolls from seeing it, but then again I think about all the trolls that were going to boycott Captain Marvel and how that turned out. Would be great for Godzilla vs. Kong though. I love me some more representation, but god I want this film to do well.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I recall Disney is removing I'll Make a Man Out of You and replacing Shan Yu with this sorceress.

Ugh. Why!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I recall Disney is removing I'll Make a Man Out of You and replacing Shan Yu with this sorceress.

Ugh. Why!
I mean. Atleast it will be different.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Disney can take those changes and...

8-) See what I did there? Bam! Transition, back on topic! Apparently the footage shown at that event was "spectacular," but we've all heard that one before, haven't we?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

KingKaiju wrote:Disney can take those changes and...

8-) See what I did there? Bam! Transition, back on topic! Apparently the footage shown at that event was "spectacular," but we've all heard that one before, haven't we?
Where did you hear that from?
Long Live The King

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Nice transition, mate!

Spectacular huh? That's actually good news because that means the actual monster action might be on the level of KOTM or at least KSI! So even if critics and General audience despise any fun that doesn't have a big brand name or superheroes, a lot of us will at least enjoy it just as much as we enjoyed KOTM! If we get the immensely satisfying long-awaited high budget match between the King of The Monsters and the King of Skull Island, even if the Monsterverse ends, it can end with no regrets. (Hoping it doesn't, but still, silver God Ray in the Ghidorah storm cloud if if comes to that)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GuardianGhido wrote:

Nice transition, mate!

Spectacular huh? That's actually good news because that means the actual monster action might be on the level of KOTM or at least KSI! So even if critics and General audience despise any fun that doesn't have a big brand name or superheroes, a lot of us will at least enjoy it just as much as we enjoyed KOTM! If we get the immensely satisfying long-awaited high budget match between the King of The Monsters and the King of Skull Island, even if the Monsterverse ends, it can end with no regrets. (Hoping it doesn't, but still, silver God Ray in the Ghidorah storm cloud if if comes to that)
Me: I’m about to end this man’s whole optimism

It was very early footage, so no fights or anything like that. Just probably some silhouette and with cool music and that’s it. Also since they saw some exclusive footage that no one else will see, they automatically would like it more.

Also no, critics and general audiences like fun that doesn’t have a brand name or superhero’s; in fact brand names became brands because of their inherent fun. This is a really weird argument.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Hokmuto wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:

Nice transition, mate!

It was very early footage, so no fights or anything like that. Just probably some silhouette and with cool music and that’s it. Also since they saw some exclusive footage that no one else will see, they automatically would like it more.

Also no, critics and general audiences like fun that doesn’t have a brand name or superhero’s; in fact brand names became brands because of their inherent fun. This is a really weird argument.
Hm, I suppose that makes sense. But considering the direction of the Monsterverse so far and the very premise of GvK (Literally about two iconic giant monsters fighting), it should be pretty hard to give us something that much worse than Kong Skull Island or King of The Monsters. The only way it could possibly be a complete failure is if Godzilla and Kong either never fight or fight like the Anime movie slideshows for like 8 seconds.

(And the whole critics thing was the leftover salt, sorry. Hopefully it's out of my system by now)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Hokmuto wrote:

Where did you hear that from?
Big big big big grain of salt.

GODZILLA VS KING KONG CINEEUROPE FOOTAGE 'SPECTACULAR'; MAY KEEP RELEASE DATE from Cosmic Book News

Added in 12 minutes 20 seconds:
Hokmuto wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:

Nice transition, mate!

Yeah, as happy as it makes me to hear. We've seen this before. Going to just pull back on the optimism until I see some real footage.