GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

https://deadline.com/2019/05/a-quiet-pl ... 202622152/

So it seems Quiet Place 2 has been moved forward to March next year one week after the film. How much competition do you guys think it'll serve to it?

To follow there's also Mulan and G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes the following week after. There's also Bloodshot a few weeks before its release but given how niche the comics it comes from is likely to the GA I doubt it'll serve as any serious competition alongside Invisible Man.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:https://deadline.com/2019/05/a-quiet-pl ... 202622152/

So it seems Quiet Place 2 has been moved forward to March next year one week after the film. How much competition do you guys think it'll serve to it?

To follow there's also Mulan and G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes the following week after. There's also Bloodshot a few weeks before its release but given how niche the comics it comes from to the GA I doubt it'll serve as any serious competition alongside Invisible Man.
:lol:

Godzilla loves to rip Disney films apart... However it is possible Mulan gives GvK a good whooping, depending on how much hype is there. But this could just be your usual Godzilla bulldozer casualty.

G.I. Joe died in the 90s, Snake Eyes is a boss, but people already have John Wick. However a silent badass who reacts to things funnily is enough to put butts in seats. So it'd make below Bumblebee type money.

Quiet Place 2 is really not an issue at all. Like, the first film was good solely on Krasinski's performance. He died, so...
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Mulan could have quite the effect in China
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:https://deadline.com/2019/05/a-quiet-pl ... 202622152/

To follow there's also Mulan and G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes the following week after. There's also Bloodshot a few weeks before its release but given how niche the comics it comes from is likely to the GA I doubt it'll serve as any serious competition alongside Invisible Man.
Absolute biggest competition there. I don't see the others affecting too much.
Long Live The King

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Hokmuto wrote:Absolute biggest competition there. I don't see the others affecting too much.
On the bright side though it'll be two weeks after the film comes out. Hopefully gives Godzilla vs. Kong enough time to make enough money before Mulan steals its attention.

As Atomic stated above. Mulan will be big in China for obvious reasons.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So King Kong got a profile, Godzilla got a profile.

Think these guys will get new updated profiles for GvsK marketing or no?

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Kong will absolutely have an updated profile consider he's a big fully grown boi by now.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Godzilla may be angry with humanity because of the pernicious influence of people on his home planet. And Kong, of course, will be on the side of people.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Spoiler:
Am I the only one seeing Godzilla get asshurt over being shot with the Oxygen Destroyer?
Facts don't care about your feelings

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

No need to move it imo. This is the BIG one guys. Maybe not necessarily to fans, but money making wise Godzilla vs Kong will be the biggest Kaiju film to date. You can’t move it just because A Quiet Place 2 comes out a week later. They moved it once before.. don’t do it again.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Cookson wrote:No need to move it imo. This is the BIG one guys. Maybe not necessarily to fans, but money making wise Godzilla vs Kong will be the biggest Kaiju film to date. You can’t move it just because A Quiet Place 2 comes out a week later. They moved it once before.. don’t do it again.
To be fair though some movies had been moved more then once before and for some reason I honestly have a gut feeling they're gonna move the film again. I honestly don't know why I just feel it and I honestly think that's a good idea to move it back. I think July 3rd is a perfect date. One day before the 4th of July (Independence Day). That'd be good marketing especially for something big like this film.

Moving back means more polishing and editing leading to better film and July is in Summer and this movie fits perfectly as a Summer blockbuster as KotM would.

I think moving this film forward was a bad decision on their part. It should had been the opposite as KotM was.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 25, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

So I remember hearing Godzilla Vs Kong will be more like Godzilla 2014 and it's scale, but how do you think this will be different from what looks to be the popcorn flick KOTM?
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

KingKong2005 wrote:So I remember hearing Godzilla Vs Kong will be more like Godzilla 2014 and it's scale, but how do you think this will be different from what looks to be the popcorn flick KOTM?

I don’t think that’s ever been said by anyone...

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

KingKong2005 wrote:So I remember hearing Godzilla Vs Kong will be more like Godzilla 2014 and it's scale, but how do you think this will be different from what looks to be the popcorn flick KOTM?
You're gonna need a source for that claim

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It'll be fine. Like most films GvK will continue post production work right up until release. It has almost a full year for post production. Hell Skull Island had almost the exact same post production schedule as GvK is gonna have and it looked fantastic.

For reference, from start of post production to release (these are rough estimates).
G14: July 2013 to May 2014 (10 months)
KSI: March 2016 to March 2017 (12 months)
KotM: September 2017 to May 2019 (20 months)
GvK: April 2019 to March 2020 (11 months)
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun May 26, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

where does this information come from?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Nothing was said in regards to the tone and scale, movie just recently wrapped filming. So far, the synopsis makes it sound more in line with KOTM than anything else.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon May 27, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I presume GvK has less post-production time than K:SI because they're reusing Godzilla and Kong assets (3D models, animation rigs, textures, etc.).
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I don't think anyone's said that, though I think it's not an unfair guess that it'll be closer in scale to either G'14 or K:SI than KOTM. KOTM is HUGE, and nothing about the production of GvK suggests it's going to be anywhere near as massive a film. I honestly expect the middle 50% of the film to take place entirely either on or under Skull Island with only the first and last half hours taking place elsewhere (that last half hour probably mostly in Hong Kong).