GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by KingKong2005 »

But honestly, Kong going out of his way to avoid destroying buildings (he'll attack military that attacks him) and loss of innocent life is such a cool idea. You have this monster who notices humans (on a way more personal/emotional level than Godzilla) and would have every reason to attack all of them yet he would chose to protect innocent life. Then you would have Godzilla who (I hope) just doesn't notice humans WHEN IN CITIES and in battle, he'll do whatever it takes to defeat his foe. That side sets such high stakes and tension and gives a reason to fight as opposed to pure territorial issues.
Image Image

JGAR
Futurian

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by JGAR »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:As for G14, as much as I rag on it, its still superior to anything Masaaki Tezuka ever did.
Well you don’t make it seem that way. Your conversations consist of 90% bashing 2014 10% anything else. LOL
Yooo 8-)

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I just want a scene where Kong drinks so,e berry juice, knocks out, and the natives all dance around him to that old tune... except... ya know, dome without the whole blackfacing folks thing.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KingKaiju wrote:except... ya know, dome without the whole blackfacing folks thing.
Yeahhhh. I always forget about that and then when I see it I'm like "Oh nooo..."
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Dr. Professor wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:except... ya know, dome without the whole blackfacing folks thing.
Yeahhhh. I always forget about that and then when I see it I'm like "Oh nooo..."
I mean can you blame them? It's not like they had plenty of black people in Japan to hire at the time. I think they just committed to it because they wanted to ape the imagery of the original King Kong. And to be fair, it's not even used to specifically mock a certain race, it just goes through the motions of a stereotypical primitive island tribe.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
I mean can you blame them? It's not like they had plenty of black people in Japan to hire at the time. I think they just committed to it because they wanted to ape the imagery of the original King Kong. And to be fair, it's not even used to specifically mock a certain race, it just goes through the motions of a stereotypical primitive island tribe.
Please don't defend blackface. You can acknowledge that it's problematic and still enjoy the movie.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Regardless of excuses, I still view it as a distracting stain on an otherwise fantastic film.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

KillCrites wrote:
TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Yeahhhh. I always forget about that and then when I see it I'm like "Oh nooo..."
Please don't defend blackface. You can acknowledge that it's problematic and still enjoy the movie.
I just said it wasn't used to specifically mock a race, only that it was used to fulfill a certain trope. Don't twist my words to suggest that I'm a racist.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
I just said it wasn't used to specifically mock a race, only that it was used to fulfill a certain trope. Don't twist my words to suggest that I'm a racist.
Don't twist my words to suggest that I'm suggesting that you're a racist, I was just asking you to not defend blackface. Blackface is blackface, doesn't matter if the intent is racist or not it is a racist act.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

You can still acknowledge something is problematic, but understand it's from a period of time when film making was different, life was different, and public tolerance for things was different.

Things are subjective to the time periods they're released in. King Kong '33 had black face. It's extremely problematic, but sadly it was common at the time. It's still a very important historical film.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

KillCrites wrote:
TheInfiniteAeon wrote:
KillCrites wrote: Please don't defend blackface. You can acknowledge that it's problematic and still enjoy the movie.
Don't twist my words to suggest that I'm suggesting that you're a racist, I was just asking you to not defend blackface. Blackface is blackface, doesn't matter if the intent is racist or not it is a racist act.
Whatever, let's just move on. KOTM has that final trailer out and neither of us needs to go down this particular rabbit hole.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Do the Japanese consider blackface racist? Obviously here in the US it is, but do the Japanese see it that way?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

I don't mean to further derail the topic, but I have to say I'm still annoyed they made Jynx purple.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Godzilla21 wrote:Do the Japanese consider blackface racist? Obviously here in the US it is, but do the Japanese see it that way?
oh brother

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Ahem... Yeah, it's racist. Ignorance doesn't excuse that. Anyways, just wanted to point that out.

Now, since the new KOTM trailer releases... I don't know what Kong is going to bring to the table that Ghidorah didn't. Damn!! Dude better be on the best kaiju Performing Enhancing Drugs EVER!!!

Disclaimer: I understand that styles make fights, Kong will present a different type of fight than Ghidorah. Just wanted to bring that up.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Racist yet kino enough to get away with it
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Racist yet kino enough to get away with it
This fourm was a mistake.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KingKaiju wrote: Now, since the new KOTM trailer releases... I don't know what Kong is going to bring to the table that Ghidorah didn't. Damn!! Dude better be on the best kaiju Performing Enhancing Drugs EVER!!!

Disclaimer: I understand that styles make fights, Kong will present a different type of fight than Ghidorah. Just wanted to bring that up.
I'm expecting Kong and Goji to be made up of pure nasty Mortal Kombat styled combos, teeth and fists used to the max and takedowns galore.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So I just saw MBB on Instagram promoting the kotm trailer and she looks a lot older than she does in kotm and stranger things. Makes me think a big time jump isn't too far out of thought.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

While I'm not against the idea of Godzilla and Kong teaming up against a common big bad, I have this idea that it won't be the last battle of the film. I think that over the course of the movie Godzilla and Kong's fight starts out as an aggressive alpha-on-alpha rivalry, then after working together to defeat the common enemy, they'll have one last battle but it plays out more like an honorable duel of respect to show each other their true prowess. It sounds kinda anime-ish when I say it. But regardless of who wins, I don't think they'll kill off either of them as a safety net so they have an option to churn out more movies past 2020 if they manage to retain the licenses.