GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread

Post by GFAN198423 »

And if the studio considered Godzilla a flop they wouldn't have outright announced 2 more sequels, domestic may not have been huge but overall gross was respectable.

Plus it's WB, of they keep pumping out DCCU movies, they'll green light anything lol.

jiger9899
Terminated
Terminated

Post by jiger9899 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Not to be a downer but if Kong flops (and it probably will. Seriously its going to be the odd man (err ape) out in that Logan/Kong/BeautyBeast triad) and if Godzilla 2 flops (and it might since Godzilla crashed and burned pretty quick. We don't know if the majority of the audience will come back for a sequel) then they will probably scrap the crossover movie.

That's exactly what's going to happen. Godzilla 2014 didn't make all that much in the box office, it had a great opening weekend and that's it. Do you honestly think they are going to announce that this monsterverse is scrapped when they have a movie coming out? They are going to wait until it flops and then say it's scrapped. Tulls's stepping down came at an in-opportune time; if it would've happened a year ago at this time K:SI would've been scrapped as well. Kong skull Island will flop, I mean, they are showing us the whole freakin' thing in the tv spots, that worked well for Batman vs Superman right? oh wait.....

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Guys, don't give this kid the time of day. He's just here to start a ruckus.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

jiger9899 wrote:That's exactly what's going to happen. Godzilla 2014 didn't make all that much in the box office, it had a great opening weekend and that's it.
*Rips face to shreds*

I already gave you evidence as to it's Box Office validity. people love to sprout about how much money the MCU movies make and how successful they are critically and financially and I gave you several stats where Godzilla (2014) outperformed all but the highest tier movies and even there only by like $30M or so for the highest two.

Care to explain how badly it did despite these stats? because how is a lesser gross great for MCU but bomb level for Godzilla?
Tulls's stepping down came at an in-opportune time; if it would've happened a year ago at this time K:SI would've been scrapped as well.
Yes, because clearly Wanda would buy Legendary for 3.6Billion and than scrap the only project other than Interstellar that is actually making money in the wake of all their other box office bombs, especially in a time where companies are going through extreme lengths to find something to make a Cinematic Universe out of even old 80s ToyLines under Hasbro. Wanda would clearly throw all that away for the glorious amount of....nothing what else would they have to replace it with, hmm?

jiger9899 wrote: I mean, they are showing us the whole freakin' thing in the tv spots, that worked well for Batman vs Superman right? oh wait.....
Batman Vs. Superman was a garbage movie. it underperformed not because it showed everything but because the movie sucked just like the next DCU movies will suck because of careless money hungry executives.

Look, I like talking about this it's fun but you have to add more to your arguments on this rather than emotional "Everything is out to get Godzilla, Godzilla is doomed" shtick because that is really all you have and all you have been saying I need facts and stats not emotional outlooks.
Last edited by g2vd on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

PRIMEVAL wrote:Guys, don't give this kid the time of day. He's just here to start a ruckus.
"Those who throw grenades at forums have no life but the swiss cheese life."
- Drunk Chinese Mystic.

On a lighter note, look at the bottom of this packaging:

Monsterverse Ho! :huge:
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

GFAN198423 wrote:And if the studio considered Godzilla a flop they.
I never said Godzilla was a flop, but the problem is it crashed and burned into oblivion. When a film opens with over $90 M and barely hits $200 M final gross that is alarming. It was also the lowest grossing film in Hollywood history that opened with over $90 M dollars.

The leads me to believe that audiences didn't really care for it and that the audience coming back for round 2 isn't a given. Look at TMNT. Like Godzilla it opened big and then plummeted into oblivion. It had no legs because nobody liked it and bad word of mouth killed it. Sure enough when they released the sequel Out of The Shadows guess what? It made half of what TMNT did. Half that audience did not come back for the sequel.

That could easily happen to Godzilla.

jiger9899
Terminated
Terminated

Post by jiger9899 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:And if the studio considered Godzilla a flop they.
I never said Godzilla was a flop, but the problem is it crashed and burned into oblivion. When a film opens with over $90 M and barely hits $200 M final gross that is alarming. It was also the lowest grossing film in Hollywood history that opened with over $90 M dollars.

The leads me to believe that audiences didn't really care for it and that the audience coming back for round 2 isn't a given. Look at TMNT. Like Godzilla it opened big and then plummeted into oblivion. It had no legs because nobody liked it and bad word of mouth killed it. Sure enough when they released the sequel Out of The Shadows guess what? It made half of what TMNT did. Half that audience did not come back for the sequel.

That could easily happen to Godzilla.
<applause>

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

TMNT had way more negative press before its release than Godzilla did. It was a Michael Bay film, I don't think many people went in with high expectations.

Godzilla's problem was that it failed to deliver what the trailers/our expectations promised. Once word of mouth spread that the cast wasn't too interesting, Cranston dies in the first hour, and Godzilla isn't in it all that much, folks didn't go see it.

If Legendary plays their cards right, they can easily make Godzilla: KOM even more successful than it's predecessor.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote: I never said Godzilla was a flop, but the problem is it crashed and burned into oblivion. When a film opens with over $90 M and barely hits $200 M final gross that is alarming. It was also the lowest grossing film in Hollywood history that opened with over $90 M dollars.
Exactly. People seem to forget this.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

jiger9899 wrote:<applause>
Hey, don't try and say that was what you have been saying all you have said was that it was going to fail with no backup.

Octo does have a valid point though that is interesting to consider.
Godzilla

jiger9899
Terminated
Terminated

Post by jiger9899 »

g2vd wrote:
jiger9899 wrote:<applause>
Hey, don't try and say that was what you have been saying all you have said was that it was going to fail with no backup.

Octo does have a valid point though that is interesting to consider.
I said it had a great opening weekend and nothing more LOL. You don't read. The ga won't be back for the sequel (if it happens) and this monsterverse won't even get off the ground, please accept this and move on with your life.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

jiger9899 wrote:I said it had a great opening weekend and nothing more LOL. You don't read. The ga won't be back for the sequel (if it happens) and this monsterverse won't even get off the ground.
Exactly that is all you have been saying. you have never come up with proper data and instead have latched on to what others have said because you never came with any sort of back-up for you're argument no offense but it is true.
jiger9899 wrote:please accept this and move on with your life.
I prefer to be much more optimistic in my outlook and hopeful about everything, rather than having a sort of arrogant belief that everything will fail and that my area and belief in unquestionable. it's simply a matter of perspective we both have evidence which shows it can go either way, it's ultimately all down to how well it is marketed, How good it actually is and if it can compel the average Movie-Goer.

I also would hesitate using TMNT as a example as there are multiple variables on why it didn't succeed.
Godzilla

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

lol I wonder what this guy's gonna say if Kong and G2 don't flop, which even if they do averagely (probably will) they won't
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote:lol I wonder what this guy's gonna say if Kong and G2 don't flop, which even if they do averagely (probably will) they won't
He'll call them a flop unless they clear 1B watch. Look G14 is low grossing I'll admit that but it wasn't a flop in the slightest.

All G2 needs to do is show Godzilla more and while I doubt it makes 93m opening weekend it can pass 200m domesticly and 300m internationally.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

:)
jiger9899 wrote:---please accept this and move on with your life.
Please accept my ban as fact. Dupe accounts are bad.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

SpaceG92 wrote::)
Sorry for getting off topic but who was he?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Sorry for getting off topic but who was he?
Nunya. :lol:

It's a personal pet peeve of man - I really hate people getting flak for something they didn't do. If you all were wondering if it was underworld - it wasn't. Sooo don't go blaming him, lol.
I wrote in the - The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread wrote:-now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

SpaceG92 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Sorry for getting off topic but who was he?
Nunya. :lol:

It's a personal pet peeve of man - I really hate people getting flak for something they didn't do. If you all were wondering if it was underworld. It wasn't.
I wrote in the - The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread wrote:-now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Oh okay. :)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote::)
Sorry for getting off topic but who was he?
A relic of a time long past. Genetically engineered to lead others to peace in a world at war. But they were condemned as criminals and forced into exile he alone awoke after years of hypersleep.
jiger9899 was an assumed name, a smokescreen to conceal his true identity. His name is Khan.

Note: no hard feelings for the guy, I just saw this as an opportunity for a Star Trek quote. :huge:

Anyway, what were we talking about before all this happened?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Anyway, what were we talking about before all this happened?
Legendary's new "Monsterverse", I think.