GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Lol, no. He stands around most of the time, gets kicked, shreded, then knocks a boulder and gets blasted. It's pretty weird, every teammate Godzilla had in the 70's wasn't worth a damn, cept' Zone Fighter

OT- Kong better harness the power of the storm around Skull Island or this movies a bust
Well okay now I know... :lol:

Also would love for that to happen with King Kong. :D

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Think monsters that would work is Biollante and Anguirus. Biollante in Skull Island would be a sight to behold. Here's the thing about Kong having powers; it would not only just not work, we'd be getting the same "Kong won cause of lighting powers" arguments since 1962. Kong shouldn't be like other monsters, to me he should be brute force. Have a much thicker skin and have such strength that matches and exceeds Godzilla's. Add to that his intelligence, experience, speed, agility, reach, and his reflexes? He'd be shown to be a very resourceful and necesssry ally to Godzilla (after the events of GvK). See I'm fine with a team up as long as we get the actual battle and maybe the monster comes in a few days later and we get the awesome team up/tag team scene. In all honesty however I do feel Godzilla vs Kong should be Godzilla vs Kong, no other monsters to effect the outcome. Just stay true to the title. Maybe as an end credits scene we get like a minute of King Kong, Godzilla, and maybe Rodan and Mothra fighting a gigantic King Ghidorah and the tag line shows up saying "Destroy All Monsters". You know damn well that if there's one thing that would save the monsterverse from the greedy Toho assholes stopping more movies to be made would be that end credits scene. It seems a bit too early but there wouldn't be anywhere to go after that. A Rodan or Mothra solo movie? No way would those be a success, it just doesn't seem like the kind of movie the GA would be interested in unless Godzilla or Kong were in it. Rodan is the only one that has a chance and it's a very slim chance, like extremely.
Image Image

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

A Kong movie with Rodan in it would be cool, sort of like Thor and Hulk in Ragnarok. But like Hulk, I don't think Rodan has what it takes to carry his own movie.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

scottzilla wrote:A Kong movie with Rodan in it would be cool, sort of like Thor and Hulk in Ragnarok. But like Hulk, I don't think Rodan has what it takes to carry his own movie.
Yeah that's exactly what I think when it comes to pretty much any monster that someone says needs a solo film (that isn't King Kong or Godzilla). I'd like to see if they make Kong 2 or something like that where they show how life's been for Kong after his fight with Godzilla and maybe this is where we would get that badass team up once Kong's island is threatened by a big bad. Or better yet, its a bunch if big bads. We see how cool Kong is fighting off 3 of them (King Kong 2005 style!) but then he's overpowered, so he just gives off the loudest roar that is heard for miles upon miles and we get Godzilla and Rodan to come in. How cool would that be, a little cameo for the other two montsers at the end of Kong's movie. And then this would solidify an alliance between Kong and Godzilla (assuming they go with the ending in GVK where they just go their separate ways in respect of each other) that would show they both in a unique way have each other's backs when in trouble. So after that Kong 2 movie we get Godzilla 3 where they can somehow work in a Kong cameo and then we get Destroy All Monsters.
Image Image

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I'd like to see just Kong and Rodan, personally. For one, we've never seen them on the big screen together, and two, they'd compliment each other very well. I'd like for them to leave Godzilla for his own movies and the big mash ups.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

scottzilla wrote:A Kong movie with Rodan in it would be cool, sort of like Thor and Hulk in Ragnarok. But like Hulk, I don't think Rodan has what it takes to carry his own movie.
But he has (well, two of them, so they have) already carried one of the genre's most beloved classics.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

eabaker wrote:
But he has (well, two of them, so they have) already carried one of the genre's most beloved classics.
True, but even Varan carried his own movie in that time. I'm talking about for modern American audiences. I just don't think people would buy a Rodan movie. Before anyone says "but who cares about general audiences," remember that they're what's driving the majority of this financially, not fans, and a movie like that I could see flopping at the box office and being the end of the MonsterVerse. I think people will really like him(just like Hulk) but he'll always be a sidekick type.

My opinion anyways.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

scottzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
True, but even Varan carried his own movie in that time. I'm talking about for modern American audiences. I just don't think people would buy a Rodan movie. Before anyone says "but who cares about general audiences," remember that they're what's driving the majority of this financially, not fans, and a movie like that I could see flopping at the box office and being the end of the MonsterVerse. I think people will really like him(just like Hulk) but he'll always be a sidekick type.

My opinion anyways.
I'm not sure whether you're trying to say that Rodan couldn't support a movie in terms of the narrative, in terms of the marketing, or both.

In any case, I don't really think Rodan and Varan are comparable examples. Rodan is a beloved classic that brought its lead monster significant cultural relevance in both Japan and America, while Varan is a bland movie that had no real lasting impact; the movie and the monster are only really remembered by hardcore kaiju fans.

In terms of narrative, there's a lot that can be done done with Rodan, especially if one revisits the two monsters angle of the original. The best of these movies are always about defining an interesting relationship between human and monster, and the parallel relationships between the Rodans and the human leads presented a poignant theme that could be explored in greater depth for a lot of dramatic impact.

In terms of marketing it to modern American audiences, Rodan is easily one of the most recognizable kaiju properties, and the potential for visual spectacle could make for some damned exciting and intriguing trailers and posters.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

Sounds like we're starting to get off topic, so I'll just agree to disagree with you man.

Pretty hard to stay on topic though about a movie that's 3 years away. All that's happening is speculation and fan frenzy arguing! I think I'll just stay out of this thread until filming begins.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Idk, sounds like you don't know what you're talking about, Anguirus did nothing but stand there throughout the entire movie until Gigan got bored and left
To be fair, its been a while since I watched the movie, so I don't recall much other then I thought Anguirus was helping him the entire time... :lol:
Lol, no. He stands around most of the time, gets kicked, shreded, then knocks a boulder and gets blasted. It's pretty weird, every teammate Godzilla had in the 70's wasn't worth a damn, cept' Zone Fighter

OT- Kong better harness the power of the storm around Skull Island or this movies a bust

Credit where it is due to jet jaguar, at least he held Megalon up so Godzilla could do the drop kick- TWICE. So that's another not-totally-useless ally of Showa Godzilla :lol:
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Gojira95
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira95 »

New interview with Adam Wingard.
Back in May, it was announced that director Adam Wingard (The Guest, Blair Witch) would take the helm on the upcoming Legendary Entertainment and Warner Bros. film Godzilla vs. Kong. Today, ComingSoon.net caught up with Wingard at the junket for the Netflix manga adaptation Death Note (available August 25) and talked to him about his plans for 2020’s big Godzilla/King Kong battle movie.

ComingSoon.net: You just did “Blair Witch” and “Death Note,” now you’re moving on to “Godzilla vs. Kong.” What are some of the lessons you learned about dealing with properties that you’re going to bring to the Godzilla world?

Adam Wingard: It’s hard to say because each one is so different. The fanbases are so different. Anime fans have had a hard time in general because a lot of times Hollywood movies haven’t really respected the properties or taken them seriously, or made them too cartoony. For me on [“Death Note”] it was really about almost trying to approach it as if it wasn’t an anime at all, to wipe the slate clean and pretend we’re adapting a novel and you’ve never seen anything from this. What’s interesting is the anime sensibility is in the DNA of it, so it still creeps in. I was really impressed the first time I watched the rough cut of the film that it sunk in that some of the anime stuff is just in the movie. It wasn’t like we were trying to do “Speed Racer” or anything like that. The Godzilla/Kong fanbase is very different. They’re just really excited that anybody is taking this stuff seriously. They can smell a fake from a mile away, so if your enthusiasm isn’t real then they’ll eat you alive. As soon as you can prove that your intentions are true to the source material, that’s all that matters, specifically if you’re dealing with big monsters. You really have to take them seriously, almost as people.

CS: “Death Note” is a relatively recent franchise, whereas with Godzilla you’ve got 60+ years of mythology and expectations and material to sift through.

Wingard: Godzilla has gone through so many iterations. He’s been a bad guy, he’s been a good guy, he’s been a conflicted guy. There’s so many different things you can do with it, but it’s not drawing on one core story and its always been about the evolution of the character. They’re going in a great direction with it so far. I just went on the set of “Godzilla 2,” got to peak in on that and it looks totally awesome and the vibe that they’re going for is great. It’s a cool tradition to jump into, but it’s also one of those things where at a certain point you have to take it very seriously. Even though these are big, wild monster movies the origin of that is really from World War II and Hiroshima. If you watch that first film it’s really a sad movie. It’s a really depressing exploration of that, so you always have to remember at the end of the day the reason you’re here is because a major catastrophe took place. There’s this underlying darkness under it all, but at the end of the day it is for kids as well. Its evolved into this whole other thing that means so many things to different people.

The script for Godzilla vs. Kong comes to us from a writer’s room run by Terry Rossio, who co-wrote the Pirates of the Caribbean films and also holds a story credit on 1998’s Godzilla. The room also included Star Trek Beyond and Star Trek 4 writers Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne, The Kingkiller Chronicles writer Lindsey Beer, Queen of the Air writer Cat Vasko, Maze Runner and Pacific Rim Uprising writer T.S. Nowlin, and comic and television writer J. Michael Straczynski.

Earlier this year, we saw the release of Kong: Skull Island, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters, starring Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga and Millie Bobby Brown, is now in production. Godzilla vs. Kong was recently moved up a week from May 29 to May 22, 2020. This takes it to Memorial Day weekend (the holiday occurs on Monday, May 25 that year.)

When Legendary announced films centered on Godzilla and Kong, fans all over the world speculated these two characters might one day meet in the same film. Classic Toho monsters including King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan will also join the Legendary pantheon of giant monster mayhem going forward.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/featur ... Cr6WGmm.99
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/featur ... la-vs-kong

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

Seems like he understands the right balance between full lightheartedness and complete grittyness. Hyped to see what he brings to the table.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Anyone bothered by the fact that Terry Russio is running the writer's room? I mean he did 1998. Like, if Wingard is keeping a sharp eye on the story then I think we're good, but I still got a feeling about that Terry messing it up.
Image Image

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

KingKong2005 wrote:Anyone bothered by the fact that Terry Russio is running the writer's room? I mean he did 1998. Like, if Wingard is keeping a sharp eye on the story then I think we're good, but I still got a feeling about that Terry messing it up.
Wasn’t he a part of the cancelled gryphon movie though? That would have been awesome
GO GO GOJI KUN

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Anyone bothered by the fact that Terry Russio is running the writer's room? I mean he did 1998. Like, if Wingard is keeping a sharp eye on the story then I think we're good, but I still got a feeling about that Terry messing it up.
Wasn’t he a part of the cancelled gryphon movie though? That would have been awesome
I just wanna clear this up I feel I was really rude there and I'd just like to apologize. No disrespect, but still I think that due to his past projects not being so great he doesn't ruin this potentially billion dollar movie.
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
Yeah, Rossio had nothing to with the screenplay for the '98 film, but because he and Ted Elliot had written the earlier script, Tristar gave them a story credit.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Terry Russio and his collaborator on the sadly abandoned Jan De Bont Godzilla, Ted Elliot, were credited with being part of G-98. Basically their original script was abandoned when Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich took on the Tri-Star project. However, before belting out their script, they had read through the Elliot and Rossio draft. While it went to the shredder, the Centropolis duo did like the scene that involved the fishing boats getting swamped in a fleeing swarm of fish trying to get away from Godzilla. So they decided to incorporate the scene with the fishing trawlers that made the final cut. And thus Elliot/Rossio were given credit in the 98' flick's credits. For better or worse.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

KingKong2005 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
I just wanna clear this up I feel I was really rude there and I'd just like to apologize. No disrespect, but still I think that due to his past projects not being so great he doesn't ruin this potentially billion dollar movie.
Rossio has done some great things and some not so great things. The people working with him on a movie can be a big part of whether or not it turns out good. It's a joint effort. He's working with some really cool people this time around so I'm pretty excited personally.
Last edited by HeiseiGodzilla117 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote: Wasn’t he a part of the cancelled gryphon movie though? That would have been awesome
Rossio has done some great things and some not so great scenes. The people working with him on a movie can be a big part of whether or not it turns out good. It's a joint effort. He's working with some really cool people this time around so I'm pretty excited personally.
Yeah there it is, I spoke without knowing anything at all :lol:. I didn't give Russio enough credit so
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Confirmed to be more than just Godzilla & Kong battling!? :o

Quote from an interview with Adam Wingard for ScreenCrush talking about the film
"It’s a massive monster brawl movie. There’s lots of monsters going crazy on each other, but at the end of the day I want there to be an emotional drive to it. I want you to be emotionally invested in them. I think that’s what’s going to make it really cool.”

Also in the article: the studio had purchased the rights to three other Godzilla monsters, including King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Roda. When I asked if any would appear in is movie Wingard was hesitant to name names, but promised that additional monsters will absolutely show up

http://screencrush.com/adam-wingard-god ... emotional/
Last edited by Moogabunga on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.