GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by Godzilla21 »

They got relegated to the library? Ouch
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by JesstrK »

king_ghidorah wrote:Totally agree and great analogy.

I’m dubious about the film itself...the director is so-so, the franchise hasn’t really hit a home run yet and the cast and crew seem pretty middling.

But.

We are getting a modern day Godzilla vs Kong film. Something I never thought I’d see in my life AND the Legendary Godzilla and Kong are my favorite designs of both monsters. I’m excited but realistic I think. I don’t think the movie will be “good” but perhaps it will be fun.

And yeah, Kong is Rocky, Godzilla is Ivan Drago or Creed. It depends on the film regarding what they want to do with that. If it’s more of an Apollo Creed analogy Kong’s triumph will be in just going the distance and earning the king’s respect. Making a god bleed.

If it’s Drago....well Kong is going to take a beating but ultimately emerge the winner.
Id say Godzilla is more like Apollo Creed since Apollo is for the most part a good man and honorable fighter at the end of the day, unlike Drago.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Yeah I hope they go the Creed route as well. Drago could be interesting but it’d be out of character for this version of Godzilla
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

i think a mix of both. Godzilla may lose sure,but he takes his lost with honor and pride. Plus i'm sure he's lost plenty of fights before,he is 250 million years old after all.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Good point. I feel like Kong should lose this one.

Godzilla lost his first bout in 62 as a show of respect from the filmmakers for Kong

This time, I think that show of respect should be returned.

Japan wins.

But I’m fine either way. Love Kong nearly as much as Godzilla.

martian001
Ronin

Post by martian001 »

Calls for another rematch will begin as soon as a winner is declared :-)

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
Moogabunga wrote:Yeah, um, if anyone thinks anything is dropping at that podcast panel...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0HBcq-ABLo ... l4w9f8fkjr
Now how is Godzilla-movies going to play this off? 'No, no, no, I never said it was going to be a Monsterverse panel, and they'd have the cast of KotM or talk about GvK, I never said that.'

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Regarding the marketing/first trailer for this movie; I think Warner Bros has learned their lesson about starting their marketing too early based on the marketing of their latest films:

Patty Jenkins has already stated on Twitter that we can expect marketing for 'Woman Woman '84' to start in December - six months before release

'Joker' put out their first teaser in April - six months before release

'IT Chapter 2' put out their first teaser in the beginning of May - five and a half months before release

So I fully expect the first trailer for GvK to release in September (six months in advance) and that way they can attach it to their biggest film of the year, IT Chapter Two
Last edited by Moogabunga on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Moogabunga wrote:Regarding the marketing/first trailer for this movie; I think Warner Bros has learned their lesson about starting their marketing too early based on the marketing of their latest films:

Patty Jenkins has already stated on Twitter that we can expect marketing for 'Woman Woman '84' to start in December - six months before release

'IT Chapter 2' put out their first teaser in the beginning of May - five and a half months before release

So I fully expect the first trailer for GvK to release in September (six months in advance) and that way they can attach it to their biggest film of the year, IT Chapter Two

The IT Chapter 2 teaser came out May 9th, less than 4 months prior to release, Now the Final Trailer on July 18th less around a month an a half. IT Chapter 2 already has very early projections of 130$/150$ million opening weekend domestically.

Godzilla vs Kong will either come September or November, Not attaching it to IT Chapter 2 would be a stupid idea.. I just checked Warner's film schedule and other Then IT 2 , Joker , Doctor Sleep they got nothing else heavy this year... An Birds of Prey is the only thing they have next year attach it to.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:Regarding the marketing/first trailer for this movie; I think Warner Bros has learned their lesson about starting their marketing too early based on the marketing of their latest films:

The IT Chapter 2 teaser came out May 9th, less than 4 months prior to release, Now the Final Trailer on July 18th less around a month an a half. IT Chapter 2 already has very early projections of 130$/150$ million opening weekend domestically.

Godzilla vs Kong will either come September or November, Not attaching it to IT Chapter 2 would be a stupid idea.. I just checked Warner's film schedule and other Then IT 2 , Joker , Doctor Sleep they got nothing else heavy this year... An Birds of Prey is the only thing they have next year attach it to.
Big whoops on my part for how long IT Chapter 2's first trailer came out before release lol :lol:

But yeah, IT Chapter 2 is their last huge movie to put it in front of, cause while I believe Joker will be big, I dont know if I see it crossing $100 million opening weekend
Last edited by Moogabunga on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Attaching Godzilla vs. Kong to Joker might work too. Closer to the films release (By one month sure but still closer) thus not as much of the steam running low

Plus lot of people look forward to that film and Joker is arguably comics most iconic villain and arguably most iconic villains of all time. Given Joker's popularity I wouldn't even be surprised if it surpassed IT (Its sequel) and Deadpool as highest grossing R rated film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

NYCC possibly? That the very beginning of October.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Do you guys think Kong will fight any Toho monsters?

I know Ebirah was originally envisioned as an opponent for King Kong. Rodan vs Kong seems like something out of a dream. Kumonga would fit right in at Skull Island too.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:Do you guys think Kong will fight any Toho monsters?
I'm not sure but I think Godzilla mgiht be a Toho monster, so we could possibly get that in GvK. Only speculation though. :?
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I know Ebirah was originally envisioned as an opponent for King Kong. Kumonga would fit right in at Skull Island too.
Oh yeah, I could just see WB and Lengendary shilling out thousands for the rights of a giant shrimp and spider
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

He won't since Legendary has their own collection of monsters to choose from now and probably won't want to pay for the rights to a monster that'll be a punching bag for 3 min in the movie

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:NYCC possibly? That the very beginning of October.
NYCC really doesn't do movies.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gothicserpent wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:NYCC possibly? That the very beginning of October.
NYCC really doesn't do movies.
If a movie doesn't get a trailer at SDCC it increases the odds of it showing up at NYCC. Doesn't mean it will, they could very well just attache the trailer to Joker and other movies.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Joker makes the most sense for when we get the trailer

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

king_ghidorah wrote:Joker makes the most sense for when we get the trailer
I agree.

Sure only a month difference but the shorter to the release the longer that the steam that lasts from the marketing and trailer. Plus releasing it on a movie about arguably comics most popular villain ought to peak people's interest more. Plus Joker I'm feeling might top both Deadpool and IT (And its sequel) for highest grossing R rated film given Joker's popularity and how comic book movies are doing nowadays given the MCU and some DC films like Aquaman.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Joker is not making more $ than IT Chapter 2...