GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Re: RUMOR: Godzilla vs King Kong in developement/early talks

Post by Underworld54 »

Wait until Toho says "yeah you can make it, but we want Godzilla to squish Kong like a bug"
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Another thing that is irritating me. is that the whole article and that of every other article is click bait every article is copy and paste of the Deadline article no article except for TohoKingdom's does anything different they don't do their own research they don't look into things and just boil down to "HEY GUYS DEADLINE SAID GVKK IS TOTALLY HAPPENING AND WE TRUST THEM COMPLETLY THIS IS AMAZING CLICK OUR ARTICLE NOW!!!!!!!!" seriously that is the whole thing there is no journalistic integrity, no attempt to report actual facts it's just click our article now because of this new internet rumor.
Godzilla

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I really don't see how this is anymore complicated than bringing in Ghodorah or Mothra. You just add a 0 next to Kong's height description in the screenplay.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

godzillalives88 wrote:I really don't see how this is anymore complicated than bringing in Ghodorah or Mothra. You just add a 0 next to Kong's height description in the screenplay.
And just expect audiences to believe that?

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

It's no more outlandlish than a space dragon. Plus, all the vulnerabilities Kong has Mothra has too, and people generally seem okay with letting her onboard.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

I don't find the idea any more absurd than Godzilla already is, if I can accept Godzilla I can sure as Hell accept King Kong at Godzilla's size. Really with the plethora of kaiju that are simply oversized animals, I can accept it.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

godzillalives88 wrote:Plus, all the vulnerabilities Kong has Mothra has too, and people generally seem okay with letting her onboard.
I dislike Mothra for the same reason personally. A giant moth against a nuke-proof dinosaur is just as lame as a giant gorilla if you ask me. But I know that's an unpopular opinion. I have a lot of those. XD
Last edited by Variola on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

godzillalives88 wrote:It's no more outlandlish than a space dragon. Plus, all the vulnerabilities Kong has Mothra has too, and people generally seem okay with letting her onboard.
But the Godzilla kaiju have always been as big as modern day skyscrapers. King hasn't. The biggest thing that he has fought was a V-Rex.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Underworld54 wrote:
godzillalives88 wrote:It's no more outlandlish than a space dragon. Plus, all the vulnerabilities Kong has Mothra has too, and people generally seem okay with letting her onboard.
But the Godzilla kaiju have always been as big as modern day skyscrapers. King hasn't. The biggest thing that he has fought was a V-Rex.
That's a big V-Rex.
Godzilla

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

g2vd wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
That's a big V-Rex.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/god ... 0727143503
What are we looking at here?

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I think Goro is biting his leg.
Godzilla

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

What movie is that though?

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I dunno why people are so angry about this. Deadline might not be right, but they're not totally without some reputation, either. It's wise to take it with a grain of salt, but I don't know why THIS rumor--of all the unsubstantiated bullshit tons of sites and fans have run with in the past--is the one to absolutely devastate people's buttholes.

I'm skeptical, but Hell, it's a rumor about early talks. That doesn't mean a movie is definitely happening even if it is true.
Last edited by Jomei on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Underworld54 wrote:What movie is that though?
King Kong Escapes.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/movies/king_kong_escapes.htm
Godzilla

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

So Toho Kong is canon with Universal Kong in your mind?

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Underworld54 wrote:
True, but one of the problems I have with the objections is that people keep thinking of this in terms of Jackson's Kong (and understandably so, as it's the most recent version). Likewise, that's not the Kong Godzilla would be going up against.

That and we're also speculating on a potential sequel to (at least) two movies we haven't seen yet. For all we know, Skull Island and Godzilla 2 could perfectly establish a world where Godzilla and Kong could co-exist.
Last edited by godzillalives88 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Can I just bring up the time a few months ago when I thought this might happen and a ton of other members bashed me saying it was absolutely crazy and would never happen? Anyways I'm hyped as shit.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Underworld54 wrote:So Toho Kong is canon with Universal Kong in your mind?

I love the idea of a GVKK movie, as I said on the last page I just don't think it can work with Skull Island's movie set from what we have seen but if it did than YES! that would be epic but also like I said on the last page it's fake I am 99.9% sure it's fake.

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Anyways I'm hyped as shit.
Don't be until confirmation otherwise you may not be very happy.
Godzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jomei wrote:I dunno why people are so angry about this. Deadline might not be right, but they're not totally without some reputation, either. It's wise to take it with a grain of salt, but I don't know why THIS rumor--of all the unsubstantiated bullshit tons of sites and fans have run with in the past--is the one to absolutely devastate people's buttholes.

I'm skeptical, but Hell, it's a rumor about early talks. That doesn't mean a movie is definitely happening even if it is true.
Two things:
While a lot of rumors are just rumors I remember how when Godzilla 2014 was in the early works there were a lot of rumors. So sometimes rumors pay off.

Second(and my point of why I thought it was inevitable to begin with): This movie would obviously make a shit ton of money. People would flock to see it. Money money money makes the studios want this as well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Keeping in mind that this is all speculation, here are my thoughts on the matter:

Since seeing the original Japanese cut, I've decided that what I enjoy most about King Kong vs. Godzilla is how silly it is - cleverly silly, but nonetheless silly. IIRC, this was the first giant monster film to prominently feature the "versus" set-up; yet this film also makes fun of that very set-up. The entire thing plays out in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I think about all the arguments about who "won" at the end of the film, and I think those people are missing the point. It was never about who's the stronger monster - it was all about making a grandiose excuse to just watch the two monsters fight. That's the joke!
There's also the issue of continuity. Toho's Kong had no connection to the original; it was just taken for granted that the character was the same. The Showa-era films in general were pretty loose with continuity overall, so it didn't really matter that technically, King Kong vs. Godzilla shares the same continuity with the grim & somber Gojira. KKvsG stands on its own just fine.

If we get a new King Kong versus Godzilla film, I'm worried that it would take itself too seriously. Undoubtedly it will share continuity with G2014, and it sounds possible that it might share continuity with Skull Island as well. Will one or both of the film series have to give way? My thoughts about a Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover are the same: the two series seem to have completely different themes from each other. I don't think a new match-up would work unless it followed a similar tone/style to the original King Kong vs. Godzilla - and for that, I suspect the film would have to stand entirely on its own. If Legendary can pull that off, then hats off to them - but would the mainstream audiences accept that? Tight continuity seems to be what is expected from series now.