GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread

Post by Underworld54 »

Cookson wrote:WB is in desperate need of a franchise.They've had some pretty bad years recently, and even if Skull Island gives them small profit.. it's still profit and more than a lot of their other stuff has been giving back to them. I know they desperately want to get to GODZILLA vs KONG, because it'll be the highest grossing giant monster flick ever, but you have to establish characters first. GODZILLA(2014) gave them profit on a $160m budget... SKULL ISLAND's rumored budget has been all over the place, from a article saying $120 to a article saying $190. Honestly, they probably could do GODZILLA vs KONG before GODZILLA 2, but i'm good with the way they're wanting to do this.
Not really that hard up, they have Potter.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

And the DC Cinematic Universe which has got people abuzz.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Underworld54 wrote:
Cookson wrote:WB is in desperate need of a franchise.They've had some pretty bad years recently, and even if Skull Island gives them small profit.. it's still profit and more than a lot of their other stuff has been giving back to them. I know they desperately want to get to GODZILLA vs KONG, because it'll be the highest grossing giant monster flick ever, but you have to establish characters first. GODZILLA(2014) gave them profit on a $160m budget... SKULL ISLAND's rumored budget has been all over the place, from a article saying $120 to a article saying $190. Honestly, they probably could do GODZILLA vs KONG before GODZILLA 2, but i'm good with the way they're wanting to do this.
Yeah, I agree. It's not that they don't have anything to depend on, but more that they're funding movies that nobody wants to see. Pan and In the Heart of the Sea are just two examples I can give from the top of my head.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Still get the feeling this will be like BvS in terms of marekting and film outcome.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Kaiju Claws
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Kaiju Claws »

Honestly, I sort of hope so. I want to see the two of them rumble, but a team up is something rare in Godzilla films post 1974. I would love to see the them team up to fight King Ghidorah or some other crazy kaiju. Not only would it up the stakes, but it would add another facet to the personalities of both Godzilla and Kong.
Dungeon Master of the D20 Section

"As long as the arrogance of mankind exists, Godzilla will survive."
- Tomoyuki Tanaka

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
Yeah, I agree. It's not that they don't have anything to depend on, but more that they're funding movies that nobody wants to see. Pan and In the Heart of the Sea are just two examples I can give from the top of my head.
It wasn't no one wanted to see In the heart of the Sea it was

1. It didn't live up to it's potential.

2. They put it right next to Star Wars.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

ernesth100 wrote:Still get the feeling this will be like BvS in terms of marekting and film outcome.
To a loose extent, I wouldn't really mind if this movie was marketed in a similar fashion to BvS.
Member of TK Since 2006

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

miguelnuva wrote:It wasn't no one wanted to see In the heart of the Sea it was

1. It didn't live up to it's potential.

2. They put it right next to Star Wars.
There's more to it than that. It only made $25 million in the United States on a $100 million budget. A movie that only makes this much is one that audiences don't care to see.

It had no business being a movie in the first place, because it was a supposedly new product that failed to provide anything new.

Plus, WB absolutely sucks at scheduling movie releases. They probably knew it wasn't going to make anything.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

3000 wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:Still get the feeling this will be like BvS in terms of marekting and film outcome.
To a loose extent, I wouldn't really mind if this movie was marketed in a similar fashion to BvS.
It'll probably be very similar in execution. Godzilla and Kong do battle to eventually team up against something deadlier(hoping Ghidorah).
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

3000 wrote:
Cookson wrote:The director question is really something to think about... I wouldn't mind Edwards taking this on as well, but I would use him for the solo Godzilla films. Jordan Vogt-Roberts might be a good cheap option if Skull Island is well perceived. I could see them going out of their way to get someone different for the clash.
I agree.

While I do have my certain doubts about Edwards, I do think that it would be smart to keep him on the solo Godzilla films and get someone completely new to do Kong vs Godzilla. Maybe someone who would go for the more fun event type movie feel. I want this movie to feel like a boxing match that i paid to go see.
I was thinking about this director debate today, and if for some reason Edwards doesn't want to do GVK, or is unable to do due scheduling. One gent that popped up on my mental rolodex is fan favorite Michael Dougherty. He has a relationship with Legendary directing fan favorites TRICK 'R' TREAT,and KRAMPUS. Superman Returns which co-wrote with Brian Singer, and is part of the writing team on X-MEN:APOCALYPSE. I would mind seeing him take a crack at kaiju eiga.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I can smell Liam Neeson being cast in this.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Cookson wrote:
3000 wrote:
It'll probably be very similar in execution. Godzilla and Kong do battle to eventually team up against something deadlier(hoping Ghidorah).
It would be a very weird direction for a kaiju movie to do that. I'm relatively sure that this will just be a fight between the two of them. A team up or the emergence of a bigger threat sounds like something they would save for Godzilla 3.

Something that hasn't been discussed so far: what the humans will be doing in this film.

I think if there is a threat beyond Godzilla or Kong, the threat will be a human. After all Kong is usually dragged into conflicts by enterprising capitalists or supervillains that want to exploit him for some reason. Chances are the same will hold true for this movie. Maybe someone believes they can use Kong as a weapon against Godzilla.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Just like Lex is using Batman as a weapon against Superman? ;)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote:Just like Lex is using Batman as a weapon against Superman? ;)
Lex is not using Batman.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Well he's using both of them actually against eachother actually. Actually use is a syrong word. Manipulating them is a better word. Ponit being it would be an interesting development. And considering most films these days are over 2 hours. I doubt it'll be just Godzilla and Kong slugging it out for an hour with some human interaction thrown in between. Because we practically get two kaiju slugging it out in literally every monster film I can currently think of. And too much human stuff will lead to the whole G14, too much human not enough monster, situation. So the best bet imo would be to have them team up.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

The One and Only wrote:
3000 wrote:
Cookson wrote:The director question is really something to think about... I wouldn't mind Edwards taking this on as well, but I would use him for the solo Godzilla films. Jordan Vogt-Roberts might be a good cheap option if Skull Island is well perceived. I could see them going out of their way to get someone different for the clash.
I agree.

While I do have my certain doubts about Edwards, I do think that it would be smart to keep him on the solo Godzilla films and get someone completely new to do Kong vs Godzilla. Maybe someone who would go for the more fun event type movie feel. I want this movie to feel like a boxing match that i paid to go see.
I was thinking about this director debate today, and if for some reason Edwards doesn't want to do GVK, or is unable to do due scheduling. One gent that popped up on my mental rolodex is fan favorite Michael Dougherty. He has a relationship with Legendary directing fan favorites TRICK 'R' TREAT,and KRAMPUS. Superman Returns which co-wrote with Brian Singer, and is part of the writing team on X-MEN:APOCALYPSE. I would mind seeing him take a crack at kaiju eiga.

It's funny you say that, I've actually been thinking for a while now Michael Dougherty should be the one to direct Godzilla vs. Kong. He has experience writing big budget movies (Superman Returns, the X-Men films), has a demonstrated a talent for taking potentially campy subject matter seriously (with Krampus and Trick' Treat), and in the promo videos for Krampus actually mentioned growing up watching Godzilla movies. Not to mention, as you said, he already has a relationship with Legendary.

I definitely want Edwards to direct Godzilla 2, but I'm open to someone else handling Godzilla vs. Kong, as crossover movies are an entirely different breed. I don't know enough about Roberts yet to have much of a stance on him.
Last edited by godzillalives88 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Wonder if Kong will also make an appearance in G3 to boost that movies BO if GvsKong does well?
Member of TK Since 2006

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I wonder if Kong will get his own sequel? And if these films do well perhaps we'll get more kaiju? Anguirus, Medhagodzilla and Biollante are a few I'd like to see Legendary take on.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

ernesth100 wrote:I wonder if Kong will get his own sequel? And if these films do well perhaps we'll get more kaiju? Anguirus, Medhagodzilla and Biollante are a few I'd like to see Legendary take on.
I'm sure that if Kong does well enough they will greenlit a sequel faster than you can say franchise. Hell, if GvKong does well, I dont think its impossible to see a second film starring Goji and Kong... just not a vs film, more like a straight up team-up film.
Member of TK Since 2006

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Indeed, that's the dream right there. But for any of this to happen we have to hope the upcoming kaiju films do well.