GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Re: RUMOR: Godzilla vs King Kong in developement/early talks

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

If this does happen...

"How is Kong gonna be a match for Godzilla..."
"Kong is so small"
"Godzilla would just step on Kong"

Well you see :) There's this thing called writers, and they can make Kong however big they fucking want ;) You know, how they made Godzilla survive a nuke to the face. Or you know, exist. Or fire an atomic ray.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:If this does happen...

"How is Kong gonna be a match for Godzilla..."
"Kong is so small"
"Godzilla would just step on Kong"

Well you see :) There's this thing called writers, and they can make Kong however big they fucking want ;) You know, how they made Godzilla survive a nuke to the face. Or you know, exist. Or fire an atomic ray.
my thoughts exactly. We could see a completely beefed-up rebooted Kong and it could be really, really cool.
Member of TK Since 2006

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Just as Legendary's hopes for a giant monster revival rises, this news doom's it to fail.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I thought people were over the fact that Godzilla lost to Kong in that movie. Guess not.
Spoiler:
;)
Showa Gyaos wrote: A lot of people are forgetting that Toho still has a say in whether this happens or not.
IIRC, Toho pushed for a KKvG remake in the 90's. Granted, I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed or if it was just a rumor.

They are generally very much against crossovers, but I think a Kong crossover would be one of few exceptions.
The One and Only wrote: Actually the last crossover was in 1995 when Godzilla's resided stateside at Dark Horse Comics when he butted heads with Dark Horse's size changing hero, HERO ZERO.
Shitty crossover though. Wasn't there only like one other Hero Zero comic?
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Bluezilla 65
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla 65 »

Love this news. Godzilla and King Kong are the icons of giant monsters. I have watched the original at least once a year since 73. Always puts a smile on my face. Looking forward to new smiles!

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

People seem to be thinking this replaces GIII, which I doubt a lot; this'll likely be a spinoff movie. Something unrelated to the "main" timeline.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The One and Only wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:I'll believe this shit when it actually happens.
Same. A lot of people are forgetting that Toho still has a say in whether this happens or not. Last crossover in recent memory was 1977-1979 for Marvel Comics. They've been stingy with their property ever since.
Actually the last crossover was in 1995 when Godzilla's resided stateside at Dark Horse Comics when he butted heads with Dark Horse's size changing hero, HERO ZERO.
http://covers.cbrd.info/8faa4901e5a3cc9 ... 160_xl.jpg
...I didn't know this was a thing. I should probably read more of the Dark Horse comics.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

I hope TOHO puts the stops to this.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Underworld54 wrote:Just as Legendary's hopes for a giant monster revival rises, this news doom's it to fail.
Underworld54 wrote:I hope TOHO puts the stops to this.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I don't see anything we don't already know for sure here. Do we even know for sure Kong's distributor is changing? How is that even plausible? Universal owns Kong, don't they?
IIRC, Toho pushed for a KKvG remake in the 90's. Granted, I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed or if it was just a rumor.
It was on Toho Kingdom for many years and it's one of the many Cutting Room projects that has disappeared under mysterious circumstances, as did the Godzilla vs. Mechani-Kong film. Arbok might know something. I know Little Godzilla's Underground Adventure disappeared for years before we found out it was a hoax.

EDIT:
A lot of people are forgetting that Toho still has a say in whether this happens or not. Last crossover in recent memory was 1977-1979 for Marvel Comics. They've been stingy with their property ever since.
That example is beyond irrelevant. The production history of King Kong vs. Godzilla, by and large, had to do with a lot of Japanese people who really loved King Kong far more so than anything to do with a monster who was then largely seen as a washed-up has-been, not to mention Kong was an inspiration for Godzilla's original appearance. That's a pretty far cry from the more typical 'let's throw in Gamera for some reason' or 'let's toss in Pacific Rim or whatever' which usually involve Godzilla crossing over with what Toho would probably see as lesser properties.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Me too. I'm one of the few that does not give ONE SHIT about a new KK vs G movie.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

mattman559
GPN Volunteer

Post by mattman559 »

i dont think kong would have to be the same size as godzilla to put up a good fight. i mean, its a gorilla vs a lizard, if kong were the same size he'd wipe the floor with godzilla. plus we already saw a muto take the atomic ray to its chest and still live, i think we can assume king fucking kong can do the same. im all for this

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Dillyziller wrote:Ok...

After many years of people wanting another KKvG suddenly people are like "omg how the hell is this gonna work??? doom doom doom This idea is dumb". I love this fandom. :lol:
You're being way too emotional...how many of the people stating this idea is terrible were "wanting" this movie during these "many years" you're claiming?

If none, then your post makes no sense.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

The One and Only wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:I'll believe this shit when it actually happens.
Same. A lot of people are forgetting that Toho still has a say in whether this happens or not. Last crossover in recent memory was 1977-1979 for Marvel Comics. They've been stingy with their property ever since.
Actually the last crossover was in 1995 when Godzilla's resided stateside at Dark Horse Comics when he butted heads with Dark Horse's size changing hero, HERO ZERO.

For what it's worth, Godzilla showed up in Always: Sunset on Third Street 2 in 2007, but that was partially Toho's own production.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I appreciate the anxiety some have expressed over this potential development, but I support it for the following reason:

How is a giant gorilla joining the Godzilla-verse any more outlandish than the generally approved inclusion of a giant pteranadon, a giant moth, and a space dragon?

It's not.

Furthermore, IF Kong is to be added, it probably wouldn't be until Godzilla 3 (or later), by which time the monster roster will have likely expanded to more than just Godzilla (unless Godzilla 2 has absolutely NO kaiju survivors at the end). Likewise, while him battling Godzilla would definitely be a plot point, it could also be in service of a much larger, multi-monster story. Imagine a Destroy All Monsters type movie where one of the monsters just happened to be Kong. It really isn't any crazier than bringing in Hedorah, Gigan, or Biollante (which is something I see people pitching here all the time).

Really, this could be the Legendary equivalent of Marvel getting Spider-man. It's not so much that they're totally revamping they're existing plans for him, as they are finding a way to include a classic character into a larger story.

* Also, with respect to Toho, considering they've tried to remake KK vs. G before and stand to make a ton of money off doing pretty much nothing, I'd be surprised if they shot it down.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I'm totally onboard with this if its in its own world not affiliated with Edward's G universe. If Skull Island is somehow in the KKvsG world, fine(kind of like Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman are in the same world but not Nolans Trilogy). If Skull Island turns out to be in Edwards world, they'll need a lot of explaining behind it for my 100% support... but I'm sure it could work somehow.

Toho probably didn't ok a co production with Universal because they have bad relations with them apparently. LP switched it over to WB and now Toho is probably 100% onboard with this now.

I'm hoping this just turns into a BONUS film not related to Skull Island or Edwards Trilogy.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

dAll we can do now is wait for official confirmation. :huge:

But i think it is important to remember websites like Variety and Deadline wouldn't post articles based on rumors. Where there is smoke there is fire.

A Hollywood King Kong vs Godzilla could be a huge hit at the BO!

Also am I the only one who thinks there is an easy solution to making Kong as big as Godzilla?

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

The more I'm reading these articles the more I'm calling BS. One clickbait article spawning another clickbait article. It seems that a fan wrote them and is basing the article on the fact that Skull Island is moving from universal to Warner Bros.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

I wouldn't mind this so much if it's completely separate from the Edwards trilogy, a spinoff in its own independent timeline.
I still wouldn't go see it, but at least then I wouldn't be concerned about it messing with the established universe.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

Legendary has just shown Toho the path to a Marvel style interconnected ongoing global franchise. This is what they have long wanted. No way in hell they stop this. They would be mad to do so.

The other rumor associated with this is it will be set in the 70's. So halfway between Legendary's 1930's KK and their modern Godzilla 2014.
Last edited by Kaijugriffey on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.