GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread

Post by eabaker »

KingKong2005 wrote:Like what's the point of him having electricity powers if it won't do anything to Godzilla?
The sick little thrill storytellers sometimes get from subverting Chekhov's gun?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

eabaker wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Like what's the point of him having electricity powers if it won't do anything to Godzilla?
The sick little thrill storytellers sometimes get from subverting Chekhov's gun?
It still makes the powers useless and they don't further the plot at all
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKong2005 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Well, yeah, that's exactly what I meant by subverting Chekhov's gun.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

eabaker wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Well, yeah, that's exactly what I meant by subverting Chekhov's gun.
Had to look that up to know what you were talking about :lol:
Image Image

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

Kong having any type of Powers outside brute strength is completely stupid, especially Electric powers.
Kong needs to look and be the underdog of the film, while neither monster being the "Villain".

The film just need to be a scenario of two storms meeting each other and destroying everything in their path, while having the element of it just being nature taking it's course, and nothing man has can do anything about it.

Ending wise, Kong needs to die to reflect the emotions of the 33 film, but done in tragic and unavoidable way, while Godzilla is badly injured and heads back to the ocean to "Never to be seen again"(This is mostly if Legendary and Toho dont renew their contracts).

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

So if any other monsters are to appear in this film. Who would yall expect? Some throwaway foder monsters? A suprise appearance from Mothra or Rodan? An enemy monster the two must team up against?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Just some throwaway low level monsters for them to fight before encountering each other. Would be terrible to use known monsters as trample material.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Other then a throw away for Kong to fight, I really see no reason for the need for any other monsters in the film. It's Godzilla vs Kong, give us Godzilla and Kong!

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

ernesth100 wrote:So if any other monsters are to appear in this film. Who would yall expect? Some throwaway foder monsters? A suprise appearance from Mothra or Rodan? An enemy monster the two must team up against?
I’m expecting Millie Brown to be a focal point of the MonsterVerse moving forward because she has legit star potential. I’m hedging strongly that her character has a Mothra connection. So if I had to choose one monster, at minimum, I’d say Mothra. Maybe Godzilla decides to hunt Mothra like the MUTOs and Kong goes full hero mode? Maybe Millie goes full Miki Saegusa on us and develops a psychic Kong relationship too?
Last edited by vibramrunner on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

vibramrunner wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:So if any other monsters are to appear in this film. Who would yall expect? Some throwaway foder monsters? A suprise appearance from Mothra or Rodan? An enemy monster the two must team up against?
I’m expecting Millie Brown to be a focal point of the MonsterVerse moving forward because she has legit star potential. I’m hedging strongly that her character has a Mothra connection. So if I had to choose one monster, at minimum, I’d say Mothra. Maybe Godzilla decides to hunt Mothra like the MUTOs and Kong goes full hero mode? Maybe Millie goes full Miki Saegusa on us and develops a psychic Kong relationship too?
I see her connecting with Mothra, potentially. Not sure about Kong, depends on the character presented in Godzilla 2.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

vibramrunner wrote:
Now admittedly it might have absolutely nothing to do with Godzilla or the movie itself, but Mike Dougherty recently directed a tweet towards Millie of a video with someone waving to a lizard and the lizard waving back. So it could easily be a hint that Millie and Godzilla actually have some type of moment like Ford but probably more meaningful.....or it might have nothing to do with the movie :?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

She’s obviously going to awaken King Ceasar lol
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Mr. Yellow wrote:She’s obviously going to awaken King Ceasar lol
This is the only correct answer :lol:
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

If this is anything like Godzilla 2, casting should be arriving shortly:

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/amp ... ssion=true
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Kong having any type of Powers outside brute strength is completely stupid, especially Electric powers.
Kong needs to look and be the underdog of the film, while neither monster being the "Villain".

The film just need to be a scenario of two storms meeting each other and destroying everything in their path, while having the element of it just being nature taking it's course, and nothing man has can do anything about it.

Ending wise, Kong needs to die to reflect the emotions of the 33 film, but done in tragic and unavoidable way, while Godzilla is badly injured and heads back to the ocean to "Never to be seen again"(This is mostly if Legendary and Toho dont renew their contracts).
He really shouldn't and wouldn't die. Again, this Kong is an actual kaiju. This isn't the classic story so he doesn't need to die. He's a powerhouse, not a monster befallen to man.
Image Image

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I think people are assuming this is end game for Legendary with both characters. They don’t see any MonsterVerse movies beyond GvK and are thinking one or both has to die/disappear. If G2 and this both do well, what reason do they have not to make more? There’s so much more they could do and this isn’t the end game.
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Ending wise, Kong needs to die to reflect the emotions of the 33 film, but done in tragic and unavoidable way, while Godzilla is badly injured and heads back to the ocean to "Never to be seen again"(This is mostly if Legendary and Toho dont renew their contracts).
What's your opinion on perhaps Godzilla/Kong knocking the other out and upon seeing the other not waking up nor moving leaves victorious believing them to be dead? Just curious is all.
Mr. Yellow wrote:I think people are assuming this is end game for Legendary with both characters. They don’t see any MonsterVerse movies beyond GvK and are thinking one or both had to die/disappear. If G2 and this both do well, want reason do they have not to make more? There’s so much more they could do and this isn’t the end game.
Agreed. This cinematic universe has the potential to expand itself whether spawning its own movies related and set in the MonsterVerse on other Toho monsters, public domain monsters (Loch Ness Monster for example, a solo Loch Ness Monster movie set in the MonsterVerse and take on the cryptid would be wicked cool), Warner Bros. monsters (Rhedosaurus, Them!, Giant Behemoth) and other original creations (Yeti counterpart to King Kong for example). Heck we could even see a Journey to the Center of the Earth type film involving a group of characters going into the hollow earth which would be the perfect movie to introduce Baragon who could be the top apex predator down there and predator to Skull Crawlers.

And just like how the Showa series was. This verse started off grounded before moving onto aliens and mysticalism/mythology and then onto other sci-fi.

The key to this would be building up the MonsterVerse like the MCU did (No I'm not saying for the MonsterVerse to be like it, just making an example) eventually attracting or drawing more peoples interest in it before taking bigger risks like the latter did (Such as Guardians of the Galaxy which the GA didn't know about prior to the first movies release). In no time then it could grow more popular maybe nowhere close to MCU but to the point its popular enough to have its own fans both kaiju fans and people in the GA.

As the old saying would go. You don't know unless you try. ;) Considering the popularity with giant monsters reemerging again as it was in the 50's thanks to the MonsterVerse such as the new Pacific Rim, Rampage and The Meg, that's not out of the question honestly.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

vibramrunner wrote:
Nah, she's gonna be like that dude in the crappy Kong Animated Series and fuse with Kong to help him fight Godzilla :lol:
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Kong having any type of Powers outside brute strength is completely stupid, especially Electric powers.

He really shouldn't and wouldn't die. Again, this Kong is an actual kaiju. This isn't the classic story so he doesn't need to die. He's a powerhouse, not a monster befallen to man.
At the current point in time, there is nothing in the Monsterverse after 2020/GvsK. No "Disney timeline" of the films to come in the next 10 to 20 years, no plan to introduce other title monsters to fill out the universe, there is absolutely nothing as of right now.

Toho and Legendary Picture's contract, the same contract that is preventing Toho from making Godzilla films(Shin and MP were a loophole and approved before the contract went into effect), is up and talks of renewing said contract is up in the air, mostly to see if the next two films are going to do well enough to even consider renewing or renegotiating.
The best note to leave the Monsterverse on is a departure from the current story, in the same way Showa or Heisei ended, so if in the event that the contract renewing falls through, there is nothing lost in terms of potential.

Kong is a doom creature since birth, he was born into death, lives to fight for survival, and he is the last member of his species. Having Kong meet his end in GvsK would make for a more emotional film rather than just a giant monster film.
Also, the director said there will be a winner, and the contract with Toho states that Godzilla cant die in Legendary's franchise, but Kong dying would make sense in terms of the history of previous film incarnations.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Stefanos of Levanon wrote:Ending wise, Kong needs to die to reflect the emotions of the 33 film, but done in tragic and unavoidable way, while Godzilla is badly injured and heads back to the ocean to "Never to be seen again"(This is mostly if Legendary and Toho dont renew their contracts).
What's your opinion on perhaps Godzilla/Kong knocking the other out and upon seeing the other not waking up nor moving leaves victorious believing them to be dead? Just curious is all.
That would end on a sour note and piss a lot of people off.

Godzilla vs Kong is a film that a lot of people in the community look forwards too as it's a film that's not just a crossover, but a "Event".
The film itself needs to have the same weight that the people looking forward to it are expecting, granted nothing can match what people hype up or expect, but making the film introduce heavy themes and characters for both Godzilla and Kong would make the overall movie feel more emotional than what a normal Vs Movie could be.

The movie doesn't need a big evil monster that force Godzilla and Kong to team up against, that film is called Godzilla 2, it just needs to be a film about Godzilla and Kong being introduced to each other and duking it out for their own reasons.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:That would end on a sour note and piss a lot of people off.

Godzilla vs Kong is a film that a lot of people in the community look forwards too as it's a film that's not just a crossover, but a "Event".
The film itself needs to have the same weight that the people looking forward to it are expecting, granted nothing can match what people hype up or expect, but making the film introduce heavy themes and characters for both Godzilla and Kong would make the overall movie feel more emotional than what a normal Vs Movie could be.

The movie doesn't need a big evil monster that force Godzilla and Kong to team up against, that film is called Godzilla 2, it just needs to be a film about Godzilla and Kong being introduced to each other and duking it out for their own reasons.
Alright thanks for answering.