GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Once Godzilla starts fighting he doesn't stop till he is defeated, the fact Kong was able to get out of dodge leads me to believe he won.

Not every time. In GRA Godzilla and Anguiras were fighting on the island till they fell into the ocean. The fact they meet up later would suggest they retreated the first fight. In GvMG when Godzilla and Mechagodzilla first crossed paths MG was badly damaged as well as Godzilla but they both retreated as well. That and this wasn't just an original Toho Kaiju. This was Kong. Universal wasn't about to let their titular titan lose to the beast from the east nor was Toho with theirs. All my opinion anyways.
Godzilla knew he was defeated by Mechagodzilla though, he was injured and beat it wasn't till he gained his new power he knew he had a chance.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Cookson wrote:One is not beating the other. Lets wait and see how the story pans out.
I wouldn't say that. A draw is possible but lately movies haven't been pussing out. Batman actually beat Superman in BVS, he just didn't finish him off (good thing too cause, you know, common enemy).
Stevo_1985 wrote:
I don't think Godzilla lost in 62. I always considered it a draw. Naturally Kong would surface as he can't breathe underwater but Godzilla lives in the water so he has no reason to surface. I think they had enough and went their ways.
Toho has come on record and said King Kong won.

Although you did bring up a good point with retreating, Godzilla actually tried retreating from the Super-X2. Not letting the Fire Mirror cool off with time actually turned the draw into a victory for Godzilla. They really should have let him just go.

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:It's gonna be funny if Godzilla wins.

62: American monster wins in Japanese franchise.

2020: Japanese monster wins in American franchise.
I don't think Godzilla lost in 62. I always considered it a draw. Naturally Kong would surface as he can't breathe underwater but Godzilla lives in the water so he has no reason to surface. I think they had enough and went their ways.

Me too
there was imo no winning scene, they fall into the ocean and KK swims away. So they wanted audience to chear for Kong isn´t technically a win.
Godzilla was chasing him under water imo :huge:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla was unconscious for weeks and buried under a layer of typhoon deposited mud at the beginning of Mothra vs Godzilla. Since a typhoon should not be able to knock out Godzilla for that long and Godzilla failed to surface from the sea in King Kong vs Godzilla, I'm gonna say Kong KO'd him.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Naaah
Godzilla was loading up his atomic ray and said to Kong last chance to flee :lol:

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

That's assuming where he surfaces from in Mothra is exactly where he was left by Kong, is there anything that suggests that other than Kong picking up with Godzilla in ice as he was left after Godzilla Raids Again.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Ivo-goji wrote:Godzilla was unconscious for weeks and buried under a layer of typhoon deposited mud at the beginning of Mothra vs Godzilla. Since a typhoon should not be able to knock out Godzilla for that long and Godzilla failed to surface from the sea in King Kong vs Godzilla, I'm gonna say Kong KO'd him.
TBH, I'd just assume that Kong knocked Godzilla out for a while just to flee.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

That's kind of flimsy. I mean that was a huge rock face they fell off. How does he end up burried on the mainland? In GvMG how does he explode out of a random building? In GvTSM how does he end up in a mountain with really no conceivable way of getting into it in the first place. Godzillas made many questionable enterances without explanations. Besides, at the end of the original cut both Godzilla and Kongs roars are heard.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Being much heavier it could be that Godzillas landing was harder (Godzilla has much less chance to protect his head ) or just bad luck and G got knocket out from that while Kong had more luck and swam away.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Besides, at the end of the original cut both Godzilla and Kongs roars are heard.
Which was just meant as both monsters "taking a bow", a non-canon thing to say it was both of their movies.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Stevo_1985 wrote:That's kind of flimsy. I mean that was a huge rock face they fell off. How does he end up burried on the mainland? In GvMG how does he explode out of a random building? In GvTSM how does he end up in a mountain with really no conceivable way of getting into it in the first place. Godzillas made many questionable enterances without explanations. Besides, at the end of the original cut both Godzilla and Kongs roars are heard.
Maybe he was washed ashore by that typhoon in MvG.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Godzilla The King wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:Besides, at the end of the original cut both Godzilla and Kongs roars are heard.
Which was just meant as both monsters "taking a bow", a non-canon thing to say it was both of their movies.
I would really like if they did this again for this movie. It'd be a cool little homage.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Without joking I still think a draw is what it looks like by far.

I hope they make one win, or set up a rematch GvsKK2

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I'd prefer a draw in all honesty. But if one has to win I guess I'll go with Godzilla. If only because we've already seen Kong win.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Why do people always try to minimize the fact that King Kong won in 1962? You have the most popular of the two monsters emerging out of the water in a movie created by big fans of the original King Kong movie, and some people here say "it's just a draw guys". This is as silly as getting mad over Mothra vs Godzilla's ending.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KotM311
Monarch Researcher

Post by KotM311 »

Naaah far from being mad about Kong swimming away, it just doesn´t look like a win, both roars are heard so it looks technically way more like a draw.

KK imo wasn´t less of a icon than today and G wasn´t the icon he is today and scripted the little brain antagonist, still technically no winning scene for Kong...
Godzilla mostly lives under water...

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Could somebody cite a source where Toho states Kong won? I can't seem to find anything on the subject.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Could somebody cite a source where Toho states Kong won? I can't seem to find anything on the subject.

Toho Films Vol. 8

Keith Aiken from SciFi Japan puts it best when talking about the whole "KKvG ended in a draw" thing
...the facts are that KING KONG VS GODZILLA started as KING KONG VS FRANKENSTEIN, Toho knew they were signing on to do a King Kong movie, they knew Godzilla was a very late addition to the story, and they were thrilled to have their monster share the screen with the character who inspired it in the first place. The idea that they would have their guy beat Kong is extremely unlikely, and that is reflected in the movie... once the raft is dynamited, Kong heads to Japan rather than back home because he senses Godzilla; and once Godzilla is defeated Kong goes home. The Japanese version ends with the characters speculated that Kong killed Godzilla; an odd thing for the filmmakers to close with if they were pushing for a tie or a Godzilla victory.

The same crew reunited for MOTHRA VS GODZILLA, and in the initial story treatment it was Godzilla's unconscious body rather than Mothra's egg that washes ashore. The characters assume Godzilla is dead from the battle with Kong and are surprised when the monster wakes up and goes on a rampage. Obviously this was changed, but it is interesting that the filmmakers who made KKvsG were planning to start the next film with Godzilla still comatose more than a year after the Kong battle. Again, an odd creative choice if they'd had KKvsG end with a draw or a win for Godzilla.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Stevo_1985 wrote:That's kind of flimsy. I mean that was a huge rock face they fell off. How does he end up burried on the mainland?
The typhoon happened. Godzilla's unconscious body was swept up in the storm witnessed at the beginning of MvsG and washed ashore, after which the construction company also seen at the beginning of MvsG drained all the water back into the ocean. The receding water left Godzilla buried in mud and sediment until he awoke. All of this is explained clearly in MvsG. Everything except why Godzilla was unconscious in the sea off the coast of Japan in the first place.
The same crew reunited for MOTHRA VS GODZILLA, and in the initial story treatment it was Godzilla's unconscious body rather than Mothra's egg that washes ashore. The characters assume Godzilla is dead from the battle with Kong and are surprised when the monster wakes up and goes on a rampage.
Which is obviously because Kong defeated him in the previous movie, as explained above.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Edit: Ninja'd