Why didn't the classic theme appear in the new film?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Re: Why didn't the classic theme appear in the new film?

Post by Tapkaara »

Variola wrote:
Tapkaara wrote:
Variola wrote:I don't think it would have blended well with the tone of the film. Like Return of Godzilla, G14 adopted a darker, more ominous score that the original theme would have clashed with rather than complemented.
Regardless of whether or not it would have clashed with the supposed "dark tone" of the film, Ifukube's Godzilla theme is better and certainly more memorable than anything Desplat wrote.

One man's opinion.
A film is more than the sum of its parts though; cohesion is more important than having a single element that's great on it's own doesn't gel with the rest of the package. I really can't think of anywhere in the film where Ifukube's theme would have fit seamlessly.
I am not arguing that point. I am not suggesting that there necessarily could have been a place in the film where the theme could have/should have been used. I am merely saying that Ifukube's Godzilla theme is a more distinctive, better piece of music that any of the tracks Desplat wrote for his own Godzilla score. It's mostly mediocre music.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I'm hoping the next film gets a new composer.
Desplat music just negatively clashed with some scenes in the film.
The best piece of music was in the diving into hell scene, but that wasn't scored by him.

I'm hoping for Michael Giacchino or Han Zimmer.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:I'm hoping the next film gets a new composer.
Desplat music just negatively clashed with some scenes in the film.
The best piece of music was in the diving into hell scene, but that wasn't scored by him.

I'm hoping for Michael Giacchino or Han Zimmer.
I thought Desplat was awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing Zimmer or Giacchino though.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote: I'm hoping for Michael Giacchino or Han Zimmer.
Hanz Zimmer is probably the best composer working today, but Giacchino honestly feels really bland to me. The only scores of his that I even remotely remember are the respective opening pieces of The Incredibles, Super 8, and Let Me In, and he's been quite the prolific composer.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

My little sister loved this movie, and the lack of Godzilla's classic theme was the one complaint she had with it. I found that interesting.
Monsters are the real people.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

I agree, I think Desplat should be replaced by another composer for the new film. I think the franchise could most certainly benefit from a better composer. I'd like to see Mr. Edwards replaced too, but that's another story for another thread .
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Tapkaara wrote:
Variola wrote:
A film is more than the sum of its parts though; cohesion is more important than having a single element that's great on it's own doesn't gel with the rest of the package. I really can't think of anywhere in the film where Ifukube's theme would have fit seamlessly.
I am not arguing that point. I am not suggesting that there necessarily could have been a place in the film where the theme could have/should have been used. I am merely saying that Ifukube's Godzilla theme is a more distinctive, better piece of music that any of the tracks Desplat wrote for his own Godzilla score. It's mostly mediocre music.
In that case I'd simply have to respectfully disagree with you.

I thought it was a fine score. Suitably ominous and bombastic. Especially liked the opening credits theme, really got me pumped.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

While I do enjoy Desplat's work on this film, I'd love it if Giacchino took his place. He did a great job with Cloverfield's theme and TLW:JP Playstation game, though his Jurassic World score was kinda bland (but then, it did fit the movie in that regard imo).

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

PRIMEVAL wrote:While I do enjoy Desplat's work on this film, I'd love it if Giacchino took his place. He did a great job with Cloverfield's theme and TLW:JP Playstation game, though his Jurassic World score was kinda bland (but then, it did fit the movie in that regard imo).
I just don't understand why that Giacchino guy's name gets thrown around so much. He's quite overrated. I'd hate for him to be involved in any capacity on a Godzilla film. I suppose he does his own thing and all, which is admirable, but what he does just doesn't wow me, personally. But people really, really seem to dig him, so, I don't know.
- Akira Ifukube

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I don't think the theme would have been as difficult to incorporate as some people are making it out to be. Even if it had to be slightly reworked (which is what I would have wanted anyway), it would have been wonderful to hear. Especially since I found Desplat's work to be forgettable.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Yeah, if there had to be a remix this is a pretty good one that could have worked. it's not perfect and at times it strays too close to the normal theme we have in the movie. and strays a little bit too far from the original a bit at times but it's a good theme.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tg9Jd3wfLqI

Godzilla

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

kamilleblu wrote:I don't think the theme would have been as difficult to incorporate as some people are making it out to be. Even if it had to be slightly reworked (which is what I would have wanted anyway), it would have been wonderful to hear. Especially since I found Desplat's work to be forgettable.
Well, I honestly would not have minded it if the theme made an appearance, but not slightly reworked. Ifukube fails to be Ifukube anymore if you change what he wrote, especially in terms of the harmonies.

"Forgettable" is a good word. Granted, this was the first film of its kind that Mr. Desplat scored; I really do feel as if you can "hear" the inexperience in the music. If he's brought on to do the next film, I'd hope by then he'll have learned a better technique by then.
- Akira Ifukube

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Tapkaara wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:While I do enjoy Desplat's work on this film, I'd love it if Giacchino took his place. He did a great job with Cloverfield's theme and TLW:JP Playstation game, though his Jurassic World score was kinda bland (but then, it did fit the movie in that regard imo).
I just don't understand why that Giacchino guy's name gets thrown around so much. He's quite overrated. I'd hate for him to be involved in any capacity on a Godzilla film. I suppose he does his own thing and all, which is admirable, but what he does just doesn't wow me, personally. But people really, really seem to dig him, so, I don't know.
To each their own, really. I've been a fan of his work since the late 90's.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I think they could've thrown it over the credits without interfering with the rest of the film, personally.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

JVM wrote:I think they could've thrown it over the credits without interfering with the rest of the film, personally.
I agree with this. Love the score to G14 overall, but don't see why an Ifukube theme couldn't have been incorporated in the closing titles.
"Is he strong?" No, not really. He's got radioactive blood, after all.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

Ultimately, it was Desplat's score and I really can't say that I blame him for wanting to do his own thing.

It's just that his own thing was so bloody mediocre. But then again, so was the film, therefore, I guess everything worked out just the way it should have.
- Akira Ifukube

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

djkgoji wrote:
JVM wrote:I think they could've thrown it over the credits without interfering with the rest of the film, personally.
I agree with this. Love the score to G14 overall, but don't see why an Ifukube theme couldn't have been incorporated in the closing titles.
I feel like the message that would have sent would be, "Godzilla's new origin story is over, and from here on in, these will be movies in the mold of the classic Toho films." I doubt that's what anyone at Legendary wanted to convey.

EDIT: Actually, that only really would have been the case if the Ifukube music was used over the final shots prior to the credits, or began immediately as the credits rolled. Had they used it, but later in the credits, it would have served as more of an acknowledgement of history than a comment on their own movie, but it would have been a pretty hollow gesture, almost condescending. I feel like something as significant to the series as Ifukube's music should be used because it is exactly the right element for the moment, or it should not be used at all, but it shouldn't be used frivolously.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Because they didn't want to pay for it? Because they didn't feel the need to include it in the films score? Because Legendary higher ups didn't like the idea of using the classic theme?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, like some have said before me. Maybe to differentiate from other films and give it its own spin of things, I'd assume.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Because this film is supposed to be a fresh take on the franchise; and honestly, I think Desplat's score works much better when accompanied by the visuals than slapping the Ikufube theme in would have. Like, imagine the final battle if they just slapped the Ikufube theme onto it.

Not as engaging, is it? We've gotten so used to Ikufube's works getting reused every movie that it's become expected. Honestly, I liked Desplat's work; it's atmospheric and fits the mood of the scenes it is used in. It may not be an ear worm like Ikufube's theme, but nobody bitched about '84 not having the Ikufube theme, so why is it people do it now?

I'd rather a unique score than yet another friggin' regurgitation of the Ikufube theme. :/
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.