Why didn't the classic theme appear in the new film?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Re: Why didn't the classic theme appear in the new film?

Post by Janjira54 »

Because Legendary is literally Satan

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

Jiragozira14 wrote:Because this film is supposed to be a fresh take on the franchise; and honestly, I think Desplat's score works much better when accompanied by the visuals than slapping the Ikufube theme in would have. Like, imagine the final battle if they just slapped the Ikufube theme onto it.

Not as engaging, is it? We've gotten so used to Ikufube's works getting reused every movie that it's become expected. Honestly, I liked Desplat's work; it's atmospheric and fits the mood of the scenes it is used in. It may not be an ear worm like Ikufube's theme, but nobody bitched about '84 not having the Ikufube theme, so why is it people do it now?

I'd rather a unique score than yet another friggin' regurgitation of the Ikufube theme. :/
I-F-U-K-U-B-E.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Ikufube, Inoshiro Honda, and Motoyoshi QDQ are awesome!!!1
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Ikufube great and all. But i love pretty much most of Desplat's work on the movie. I even favor G14's main theme over Godzilla orignal theme.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I wonder...

Guys, would you approve to hear some familar cues of Ifukube in between while still being appropiate to the composer of G2/3 to use his own compositions?

Like:

UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

No one says the old theme has to be used Copy-Paste style. It honestly needs a new remix/rerecording anyway (it doesn't sound like it's been done since Biollante). A talented composer could easily work the classic Godzilla themes into a new score without it sounding out of place.

Also, what's all this "They wanted to do their own take" stuff coming from? I thought Gareth and co. stated almost nonstop that they were "Going back to the original(s)"?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Mr. Xeno wrote:Also, what's all this "They wanted to do their own take" stuff coming from? I thought Gareth and co. stated almost nonstop that they were "Going back to the original(s)"?
In the sense that they weren't going to pull another 1998. And also, they're just assuming it based off the movie itself.... Not what they said because.... Well.... What they said wasn't all too accurate to the product.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

TetsukiGroudon wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:Also, what's all this "They wanted to do their own take" stuff coming from? I thought Gareth and co. stated almost nonstop that they were "Going back to the original(s)"?
In the sense that they weren't going to pull another 1998. And also, they're just assuming it based off the movie itself.... Not what they said because.... Well.... What they said wasn't all too accurate to the product.
I don't recall them ever really mentioning 98 by name, either, but that still doesn't provide a basis for the former comment I was asking about.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Implied. They were implying that, they never mentioned it by name, but they were more than likely implying it. Like, anything not 98 would be considered "the originals" to the more casual people familiar with the series.

But even without that in mind. Doing their own take on the originals wouldn't be too far out of the box, would it?

Or even simpler, maybe they just wanted it to have its own feel soundtrack wise. Just because he's saying he's going back to the originals, doesn't mean he's going to do it in every single way.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

TetsukiGroudon wrote:Implied. They were implying that, they never mentioned it by name, but they were more than likely implying it. Like, anything not 98 would be considered "the originals" to the more casual people familiar with the series.
But even without that in mind. Doing their own take on the originals wouldn't be too far out of the box, would it?
I know they were implying that. But you can't take a quote from them about "Going back to the original(s)" and then extrapolate that it only applied to GINO. There was never any quote where they actually said they were doing their own thing different from the entire rest of the series (ala Man Of Steel, which similarly didn't use it's character's iconic theme). It's an excuse that has no merit.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

I thought it was pretty clearly implied that by "going back to the originals" they meant not making it a huge departure from the Toho source material like the 1998 travesty was.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Variola wrote:I thought it was pretty clearly implied that by "going back to the originals" they meant not making it a huge departure from the Toho source material like the 1998 travesty was.
You weren't the one making the claims that I'm arguing against, so I don't know what angle you're coming at this from.

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Variola wrote:I thought it was pretty clearly implied that by "going back to the originals" they meant not making it a huge departure from the Toho source material like the 1998 travesty was.
Yeah, exactly. I don't see why that's so hard to grasp. I mean, hate to say it, but sometimes even the big names don't have the best of wording.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Would you mind providing a source for where exactly Edwards said "Going back to the originals" in terms of the music? As far as I recall, I don't remember hearing that he said that.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If the music takes some familiar cues/notes on the OST, then that could be great to hear. Once you hear them, you could notice them yet it won't be overwhelmingly in your face like in other movies that re-use (sort of) tracks.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.