"CBS Evening News" mentions "Godzilla"(2014) as a "failure"

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
K_19_R
Young Farmer

"CBS Evening News" mentions "Godzilla"(2014) as a "failure"

Post by K_19_R »

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Re: "CBS Evening News" mentions "Godzilla"(2014) as a "failu

Post by Tyrant28 »

Who really cares what they think. The fact that it made a lot of money and is getting a sequel (plus a planned 3rd movie) says otherwise.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

Well, it was a failure artistically, anyway.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

It's kinda like a secret Russian experiment gone awry or something.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

That is the "speaking before simple research" style reporting that the alphabet channels are really good at. Godzilla is a tough sell in the west; but it got sold anyway. It was a success in my eyes for a few reasons 1) it's getting a sequel and probably another film after that. 2) It beat every forecast it was given, it beat what everyone thought it would do total, opening night, worldwide, opening weekend, and domestically. Was it an overwhelming Avengers-like homerun of a success? of course not but the first in a trilogy rarely is. They made a lot of mistakes but I really think they will correct them. Minions, in my opinion is a movie for people with low IQ's and there sure are a lot of them in America so that explains the ridiculous numbers it is putting up. A movie where little yellow testicles are running around grunting and hardly speaking is right up America's alley.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

The arrogance of man has him thinking Minions is a box office draw and not the other way around. Let them waste their money.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

First of all...

HAWHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY is this a thread?

Second of all:
morgoth wrote:2) It beat every forecast it was given, it beat what everyone thought it would do total, opening night, worldwide, opening weekend, and domestically.
Have you seriously looked at any actual predictions? Yeah, there was the Forbes article that said it would bomb, but literally every other prediction was either right on point or a bit too high. Prime examples:

BoxOffice.com predicted a $235 domestic gross.
Box Office Mojo predicted $230 domestic and $440 overseas.
Empire Online predicted $600 worldwide, minimum.
What Culture predicted $500+ worldwide.

And I'm not picking and choosing these predictions. These are the first results on a simple Google Search. And yet you have the audacity to criticize someone for speaking before doing simple research.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Thanks for registering just to post this.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

Boy it never ends does it?

So i guess making over half a billion world wide is a failure now? Whatever.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

morgoth wrote:That is the "speaking before simple research" style reporting that the alphabet channels are really good at. Godzilla is a tough sell in the west; but it got sold anyway. It was a success in my eyes for a few reasons 1) it's getting a sequel and probably another film after that. 2) It beat every forecast it was given, it beat what everyone thought it would do total, opening night, worldwide, opening weekend, and domestically. Was it an overwhelming Avengers-like homerun of a success? of course not but the first in a trilogy rarely is.
Godzilla really isn't a tough sell to American audiences. Nearly every Showa Era installment got a theatrical release and afterwards said films became a staple on television. Godzilla (1998) was predicted to be one of highest grossing films of all time, rivaling Jurassic Park. Though after people got the opportunity to see it, excitement died almost instantly. Honestly, with all the anticipation surrounding it, I think Godzilla (2014) would have pulled better numbers if most were truly impressed. Public awareness was fairly high. The marketing team had done its job well. Judging it by most of the predictions here, the film underperformed. While it definitely made money, it wasn't amazing.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Mr. Xeno wrote:First of all...

Second of all:
morgoth wrote:2) It beat every forecast it was given, it beat what everyone thought it would do total, opening night, worldwide, opening weekend, and domestically.
Have you seriously looked at any actual predictions? Yeah, there was the Forbes article that said it would bomb, but literally every other prediction was either right on point or a bit too high. Prime examples:

BoxOffice.com predicted a $235 domestic gross.
Box Office Mojo predicted $230 domestic and $440 overseas.
Empire Online predicted $600 worldwide, minimum.
What Culture predicted $500+ worldwide.

And I'm not picking and choosing these predictions. These are the first results on a simple Google Search. And yet you have the audacity to criticize someone for speaking before doing simple research.
The predictions I read came from legendary. They predicted (wanted) around 450 million total it did 528. Opening night on imdb it said it was poised for 77 million, it did 93. Also on imdb it said it should do 35 million on opening night it did 43. The forbes article I don't care about because that guy is a tool.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Xeno wrote:First of all...

Because the White Knights need some sort of negativity about this film in order to survive.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Eh... If it was a better movie it would have performed better. It did decent enough for a starting series again but it had potential to do a lot better.

Everybody knows about Godzilla, word of mouth just wasn't strong enough to pull in repeated viewings or change the minds of those who weren't that interested to begin with. With that said CBS are a bunch of idiot's because it was far from a failure, the 1998 one was def a failure.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Locking since this is not worth its own topic. Maybe an interesting post in the Godzilla (2014) thread, but a topic.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon