What DID you like about Godzilla 2014?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: What DID you like about Godzilla 2014?

Post by Dannybeane »

morgoth wrote:
Rodan wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:My favorite thing about this film was the protrayal of Godzilla, it's like they took the Godzilla from Godzilla vs Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla only they took the camp out and replaced it with pure animal aggression.

And I loved that this movie was basically a combination of those two films I mentioned above, Godzilla spends the film chasing the MUTO (like Godzilla chased Hedorah around) and then the way the battle takes place is almost identical to the way it happens in TOMG (They battle, he gets ganged up on, they beat the hell out of him, he becomes incompasitated, only for the humans to pull off something to give Godzilla the oppertnity to come back and kick some ass)
It's a Showa movie without the camp
Sure. Unfortunately it's also a Showa movie without a likable human cast.
Let's be honest, are their any really likable Showa human characters outside of Gojira and Mothra vs. Godzilla?
The Cast of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster, I personally enjoyed the Characters in Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs Gigan, and the characters from the MechaGodzilla films were great.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

For all the faults i give this movie, I can wholeheartedly say with a dumb grin on my face that they nailed the character of Godzilla. Down to his power, his walk, and bis euphamisms. Just show me more!
Member of TK Since 2006

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

The Cast of Godzilla vs The Sea Monster, I personally enjoyed the Characters in Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs Gigan, and the characters from the MechaGodzilla films were great.[/quote]

I gave the same amount of shits about those characters as I did about G14's characters. We can go on and on, it's opinion after all.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

morgoth wrote: I gave the same amount of shits about those characters as I did about G14's characters. We can go on and on, it's opinion after all.
And I give the same amount of shits about G'14's characters as I did those in Mothra Vs. Godzilla. Sea Monster had infinitely better, more interesting characters (and a better story overall) than either film.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

No love for Monster Zero?

I honestly think the bromance of Glenn & Fuji and the Controller's (if he qualifies as a human character) mannerisms make it the most likable and entertaining Showa cast. By far.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

Can of Conspiracy wrote:No love for Monster Zero?

I honestly think the bromance of Glenn & Fuji and the Controller's (if he qualifies as a human character) mannerisms make it the most likable and entertaining Showa cast. By far.
For my money Monster Zero, Sea Monster, and Son of Godzilla have the most likable human characters in the whole series.

Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla 2000, and King Kong vs. Godzilla are not too far behind.

Mothra vs. Godzilla's are pretty solid, though I think the movie loses something when the two bad guys die. Serizawa's probably the single best character in the whole series, and I think GMK's human characters are strong all around (particularly the military general father).

I'd put G '14's characters over most of the Heisei and Millennium series (sans G2K and GMK).
Last edited by godzillalives88 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The Showa series had the only human characters I liked (Gojira, KKvG, MvG, GTTHM, MZ) way more entertaining than anything that came out of the Heisei or Millenium series.

The only person I cared about in G14 was Bryan… and he dies :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The Godzilla series generally had strong characters for the most part up until Godzilla 1985, Godzilla vs Biollante had decent character but after that the rest fall flat on there face,

Godzilla vs Mothra, Ghidorah: The three headed monster, and Monster Zero were all up there.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

The corneating hippies in GvG were fun too!
Hope they come back in Godzilla 2

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
morgoth wrote: I gave the same amount of shits about those characters as I did about G14's characters. We can go on and on, it's opinion after all.
And I give the same amount of shits about G'14's characters as I did those in Mothra Vs. Godzilla. Sea Monster had infinitely better, more interesting characters (and a better story overall) than either film.
See the last sentence in my post above.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

morgoth wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:My favorite thing about this film was the protrayal of Godzilla, it's like they took the Godzilla from Godzilla vs Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla only they took the camp out and replaced it with pure animal aggression.

And I loved that this movie was basically a combination of those two films I mentioned above, Godzilla spends the film chasing the MUTO (like Godzilla chased Hedorah around) and then the way the battle takes place is almost identical to the way it happens in TOMG (They battle, he gets ganged up on, they beat the hell out of him, he becomes incompasitated, only for the humans to pull off something to give Godzilla the oppertnity to come back and kick some ass)
It's a Showa movie without the camp
^This guy gets it.
This, along with-
Gojira18 wrote:*Edwards' directing and respect to the source material (MAJOR pro)
*Special effects (Visuals, Sound Design, etc.)
*Musical score
*Cinematography
*Sense of scale
*Cranston and Wantanabe's performances and their respective characters.
*Dramatic and promising 1st act.
*AMAZING 3rd act and final battle
*Creature designs
*Suspense and build up
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

The only thing holding Edwards back is being able to get the most out of his actors...let's see if he improves with Rogue One.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Underworld54 wrote:The only thing holding Edwards back is being able to get the most out of his actors...let's see if he improves with Rogue One.

I agree, really looking forward to see how Rogue One turns out to see if Gareth Edwards can get better in general as a director.
Member of TK Since 2006

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

morgoth wrote:Let's be honest, are their any really likable Showa human characters outside of Gojira and Mothra vs. Godzilla?
Hell yeah. Like, most of them. King Kong vs. Godzilla, any of the Fukuda films and the Ghidorah duology, right off the bat.

A lot of them are flat stock characters, but they're colorful, likable stock flat characters, and the films ask us to treat them as such. That compares quite favorably to G '14, which also, outside of Cranston's role, uses stock, flat characters, but here they're neither fun nor colorful, nor is it really possible to identify with in the way this very self-serious film asks.

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

- Everything about Godzilla
- Doctor Serizawa and his crew
- Bryan Cranston
- Elizabeth Olsen
- Cinematography
- Everything about the M.U.T.O.S
- Hawaii sequence/tsunami
- Atomic Breath
- Kiss of death
- Final fight scene
- Bridge sequence
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

I rewatched it the other day, and I really appreciated it again. Godzilla is wonderful in this film and really feels like Toho's Goji. The action is beautiful and immense, as well as the sound design. I like the cast too

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Rodan wrote:
morgoth wrote:Let's be honest, are their any really likable Showa human characters outside of Gojira and Mothra vs. Godzilla?
Hell yeah. Like, most of them. King Kong vs. Godzilla, any of the Fukuda films and the Ghidorah duology, right off the bat.

A lot of them are flat stock characters, but they're colorful, likable stock flat characters, and the films ask us to treat them as such. That compares quite favorably to G '14, which also, outside of Cranston's role, uses stock, flat characters, but here they're neither fun nor colorful, nor is it really possible to identify with in the way this very self-serious film asks.

<smh>...nevermind.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

KingZillla wrote:- Everything about Godzilla
- Doctor Serizawa and his crew
- Bryan Cranston
- Elizabeth Olsen
- Cinematography
- Everything about the M.U.T.O.S
- Hawaii sequence/tsunami
- Atomic Breath
- Kiss of death
- Final fight scene
- Bridge sequence
Basically. The MUTOs were the real treat for me in this film. I know this is a Godzilla reboot, but we've had a TON of Godzilla films... I'm glad more of the focus was on the MUTOs. Godzilla's moments were awesome though.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just got done with my first rewatch, and I think I've been too hard on the movie. It has a long list of problems, yes, but it delivers a fairly steady amount of monster action, and that's what most of us would consider the important thing. The monsters were characters, too, full of personality. Godzilla, especially, overcame his lack of screentime and the filmmakers' sad insistence on minimizing the damage he caused, and was a very impressive, easy-to-root-for portrayal of the character. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the Toho monsters in this series are portrayed.

Those triumphant fanfares that played when Godzilla cooked the female MUTO were pretty damned cool, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Godzilla's personality is best
Like every look on his face is like "Jesus fucking Christ I'm so big it hurts to walk"
#thestruggle
Godzilla rocks the conscription look