One Year Later

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

How has Godzilla 2014 held up over the past year?

It's aged like fine wine!
21%
I like it more now than when I first saw it.
13%
My opinion is unchanged.
36%
I don't like it as much as I initially did.
22%
It's aged like a crack addict!
7%

Total votes: 85

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: One Year Later

Post by Godzilla21 »

Jomei wrote: Read the bold phrase. If you're arguing the opposite, then you are in fact saying, "GE lied and misled us," which you already said was wrong. Do you understand? The opposite of "It did not necessarily mean [x]" is "it did necessarily mean [x]." The italicized phrase is something different (I think, though I'm not sure because your verb tense confuses the whole thing--do you mean you STILL "think" he might have meant it was a character film, or did you mean to say you "thought" that? The difference actually is important.), and was never something I took issue with (I explained this several times in previous posts). I object to people now looking back on those things and still saying "It was supposed to be this; he said it would be this." If you thought it might be a character film at the time but look back now and accept that you misunderstood, then we have no issue, and I have no idea what your disagreement was in the first place. I'm only critiquing the position that "GE said definitively that it was going to be a character film."

Is it clarified yet? If not, we're not going to get anywhere, unfortunately.
(Face plant). I never once said "GE said definitively that it was going to be a character film". I've explained this countless times. I'm going to lay it out one last time. When GE said it was a soldier's tale, based on his previous film Monsters, I thought (and several others around here) he might use the same playbook and make G14 a character based film. A perspective of a small group or individual. Therefore a character driven narrative.

I never said "it was supposed to be this" or "he said it would be this". I said based on the info at hand at the time it MIGHT be a character film. I think you are confusing an empirical statement (which was never made) with speculation.

And Tymon nothing wrong with being intelligent. For example eabaker made a comment earlier. I think he's very smart and like reading his stuff. Seems like a down to earth guy. For me it's about approach and how you convey that intelligence. Just a pattern I've noticed for several years.

Edit- I just looked back at all our posts and not once did I say with absolute certainty that GE meant for is to be character film. I reiterated over and over what we "might" have got based on his comments. We've driven this thing into China by now.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

tymon wrote:Godzilla21, just stop. If you don't even understand the goddamn argument, you shouldn't engage in it.
https://youtu.be/GiPe1OiKQuk?t=7s
Godzilla21 wrote:I never said "it was supposed to be this" or "he said it would be this".
Godzilla21 in his first post replying to this issue, the post that started the whole conversation wrote:
Jomei wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: G14 was suppose to be a character film
No, it wasn't. The first third is anchored in character drama; the latter parts eschew that.
Actually if I remember correctly Gareth Edwards said in interviews that this film was a "soldier's story" before the film was released. I remember it causing quite a stir on here because we wanted the focus to be Godzilla.
You didn't use those words yourself, but all along you've stepping up to defend that position in confusing language. Maybe, like in the phrases I highlighted in my previous post, you didn't even realize what you were saying yourself, which is what made this so damn circular. :lol: And with this, I believe we are done.
Spoiler:
But by the way, "we've driven this to China" is a pretty perfect metaphor for this conversation--because China is just a hop, skip, and jump from where I am. We're on different sides of the globe, but you didn't notice!
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Jomei wrote:
You didn't use those words yourself, but all along you've stepping up to defend that position in confusing language. Maybe, like in the phrases I highlighted in my previous post, you didn't even realize what you were saying yourself, which is what made this so damn circular. :lol: And with this, I believe we are done. ...
It was never confusing. You just misrepresented my position this whole time. You just took what was to be a general statement about speculation and started making accusatory statements such as "you said GE said it would be a character film" when I in fact never said such a thing. Glad you see that now
SpaceG92 wrote:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jomei, Godzilla21, Neil Diamond has a message for you, delivered by the Monkees:

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

You two are still going at it? Can't we just love/hate G'14 in peace, together?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

So going by the poll the general concensus is "meh"?
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Not sure how unchanged equivalates to "meh". It could mean anything really.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

TetsukiGroudon wrote:Not sure how unchanged equivalates to "meh". It could mean anything really.
Multiple viewings haven't changed people's minds, I equate that meh.

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

Underworld54 wrote:
TetsukiGroudon wrote:Not sure how unchanged equivalates to "meh". It could mean anything really.
You're speaking for the whole class again? Just can't leave well enough alone can ya?

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

Underworld54 wrote:
I can easily flip that around and say that they didn't like it any less either.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'm disappointed with some aspects of the film and some decisions made in regards to it, as well as it's global marketing and promotional campaign - no movie's perfect and I think all of us are unhappy about something, but I'm mostly pitching this in to note that regardless of what I don't like, I don't feel mislead by the film's marketing and promotional campaign. It was affected some by my relative pragmatism, and my expectations were low, but it didn't feel like we didn't get what we were largely... suggested? 'Promised' feels like a stretch. Nothing felt promised.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

TetsukiGroudon wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
I can easily flip that around and say that they didn't like it any less either.
Exactly...meh!

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

An unchanged opinion can mean anything. It can mean that the person really likes it or dislikes it. It does not equate to any opinion. It only means that they don't think any differently of it than before.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

bczilla91 wrote:Woof...someone's got something jammed up where the sun don't shine...
Say something like this again and it's a warning. Got it? I don't care what somebody may say, but this reaction can definitely be considered flaming.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

gigan72 wrote:
bczilla91 wrote:Woof...someone's got something jammed up where the sun don't shine...
Say something like this again and it's a warning. Got it? I don't care what somebody may say, but this reaction can definitely be considered flaming.
Its ok Gigan he didnt offend me. Takes a lot more to get under my skin :mrgreen:
SpaceG92 wrote:

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I still enjoy the movie as much as I did or more since I first saw it. Is it the best Godzilla movie? No. I went in not thinking of it being the "be all, end all" Godzilla movie. It's a good Godzilla movie made in America. That's what I wanted and that's what I got.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/